Busking GREG LAKE

buddy

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:15 pm

Cover of Lucky Man by Greg Lake

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I have always found this song to have such a haunting quality to it. It moves me every time I play it. It is a challenge to sing because it moves between a low and high octave.

Hope you enjoy,

Bud

TGNeil

Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Buddy,

This is fantastic, a great example of how to take a song and make it your own. You took a repetitive melody and expanded it to a degree that Greg would be proud of. You also added a nice variation for the intro. From an artistic and maybe even dramatic angle I would consider ending it right after the line, 'He laid down, and he died'. The rest is a reprise of thoughts and emotions I have already gone through as the song progressed, and almost lets me off easy, rather than troubled. When the option is there for a performer, leave the listener troubled, rather than cozy.

Neil

millponddave

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:04 pm

Buddy,

That was just totally amazing. Neil is right, you took that song and just owned it! Great job.

Dave

jayswett

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:18 pm

Nice job, Buddy. I wished I had your singing confidence. My confidence is coming, but slowly.

tovo

Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:28 pm

Budster!

I'm not really a country fan as I have told you before. Is this country? I think so. Doesn't matter. Damn it's like a recording studio in that room of yours! That sound quality is awesome as is your voice. Really, you sound very professional.

Additionally, I don't think I have ever seen Neil comment directly on a video post. He may have, but it's rare at least. This one was certainly worthy of his attention.

There's a fellow in Australia who is a talent show judge. When he likes something a lot he stands and screams "TOUCHDOWN". I reckon he would be standing and screaming if he watched this video.

Fantastic.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:20 pm

Buddy, I attended a show way back when in which Greg Lake performed a solo acoustic guitar version of "Lucky Man".

At the time, this chord strumming version was a totally new slant on a tune that up until then was known as it had been originally recorded.
The original recording was a layered mix of arpeggios, bass notes, electric guitar riffs, rat-tat-tat drumming and synthesized choir, and of course the wailing moog outro.

I remember being surprised and thinking "Hey, he's playing it country!", and how even played so simply, it was a magical and important song (maybe even more so).

Your version made think that same thought again. I have a feeling it's going to be a popular lesson for any TGer that sees this video.

Oh yeah, Lake was even wearing a white suit ... that's country already, right? If ever you decide to get one, use a darker background. :side:

Great video !

Pierre

Lavallee

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:15 am

Great video Buddy, I always liked this song

Thanks for posting

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:12 pm

Very powerful Buddy!

... and that fella Neil seems to know what he's on about! I like the idea of leaving them troubled not cosy!

buddy

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:49 pm

Neil,

Thanks so much for the comments, they are a real confidence booster ! I really like your take on the drama side of this song as well and where to leave it off. I owe so much of my progress to you and all the great folks and members at TG

Bud

buddy

Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:53 pm

Dave, I wish I owned this song as I would now be retired :-)

Jay, As someone once said to me, just let it rip.

Tony, Wow and thanks my friend. I have made many a touchdown on the football field but never with music.

Pierre, I am going shopping this week for a white suit.

Marc, thanks for checking this out.

Chris,Thanks, and I will shoot for troubled not cozy on the next run of this.

You all made my day today !!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic