Busking arlo guthrie

willem

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:56 am

Hey Jim,,looks you got your gear together and there you go uploading again,thats great and i think we gonna hear great tunes from you in the further,,i read all the other posters and you got great super advise,,soooooooooo,,,,keep them coming..

michelew

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:30 am

Jim,

It's good to see and hear you posting again. It looked like a lot of fun. Your strumming was nice and regular. I couldn't really hear your singing, as others have said. But, now that you've got your new equipment and the great advice from the others re: position and such, you can fiddle with it until you're happy with it.

Good job.

Michele

jimcjimc

Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:14 pm

Thanks also to darryl, jay, cori, willem, buddy, bob, michele for your comments - It's always educational to do a video and one comes out of the experience with lots of things to work on from picking & singing to positioning the mike and processing the video - I will keep at it - Thanks for the encouragement.

As for the song, Hoyt Axton wrote a number of familiar songs from Joy to the World (Jeremiah was a Bullfrog) to "The Pusher" from Easy Rider, to Greenback Dollar and Ringo's No-No Song and another Three Dog night song, Never Been to Spain

I haven't been able to find Hoyt Axton's version of Lightning Bar Blues, but there are version on youtube by Arlo Guthrie, Junkyard Dogs, and a Finnish band called Hanoi Rocks

tovo

Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:54 pm

Good to see a video from you Jim. I think you have gotten some very good advice and I don't need to add. Good work and keep strumming.

heyjoe

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Great to see you again Jim and thanks for sharing!

Guess everything's been said already, enjoyed your video and am curious for the next, hopefully I can hear you then! ;)

Cheers

Ness

jimcjimc

Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:42 pm

One of the songs I am working on now:

Hobo's Lullaby - as done by Arlo Guthrie - written by Goebel Reeves - it was earlier done by Woody Guthrie also.

I am trying to focus here on the singing more than the guitar part .

I hope, eventually to re-do it with finger picking.

daryl

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Jim, Great song for you to work on. Your strumming and chord changing have taken a quantum leap as has your singing! It's obvious to me that you weren't thinking about your strumming - it was just happening all by itself. Way to go! And I think your vocals in this song were your best I have heard from you. They still need some work. But since I can't carry a tune I won't begin to offer any suggestions. Hopefully, Vanessa or Bill or Chris or others will chime in. I'd love to hear an update with this song in a month or so. OK?

jimcjimc wrote:
One of the songs I am working on now:

Hobo's Lullaby - as done by Arlo Guthrie - written by Goebel Reeves - it was earlier done by Woody Guthrie also.

I am trying to focus here on the singing more than the guitar part .

I hope, eventually to re-do it with finger picking.

dekotaj

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Sounding good Jim.

Daryl hit it right on the head.Big improvement on you songs.I to would enjoy hearing it again after a couple of months of playing with it.
Thanks for sharing.
Kev

jimcjimc

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:42 pm

Daryl & Kevin,

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. There are lots of areas to work on in these attempts to learn guitar. Sometimes, I seem to spend more time on the singing than the guitar parts. I do hope to get a version with finger picking and improved singing one of these days.

Jim

jayswett

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:47 pm

I agree that this would sound really good fingerpicked, although the strumming version was nice as well. Well done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic