Busking arlo guthrie

cosmicmechanic

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:48 pm

Hi Jim,
This performance shows fine progress, strumming and singing-wise. And it looks like you are having fun at it, too :)
Not that my own level of playing is great, but I do think that the following approach would allow you to enjoy playing this even more:

Since you have pretty much got the strumming and rhythm, you can now concentrate more on which strings you are hitting.
I found it quite liberating to realize that it isn't necessary to hit all six strings for every strum.
For example, maybe leave a few bottom strings out, then a few top strings out.
Also, it took me a long time to grok that some chords don't involve all six strings, anyway.

And after that, a hammer-on here and there on bass notes would send you right over the top.

Keep going, this is nice !
Pierre

auntlynnie

Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:20 am

Great song.
I, too, think it would be good with a fingerpicking accompaniment.
I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing that!
Lynn

wrsomers

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:34 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Hi Jim,
This performance shows fine progress, strumming and singing-wise. And it looks like you are having fun at it, too :)
Not that my own level of playing is great, but I do think that the following approach would allow you to enjoy playing this even more:

Since you have pretty much got the strumming and rhythm, you can now concentrate more on which strings you are hitting.
I found it quite liberating to realize that it isn't necessary to hit all six strings for every strum.
For example, maybe leave a few bottom strings out, then a few top strings out.
Also, it took me a long time to grok that some chords don't involve all six strings, anyway.

And after that, a hammer-on here and there on bass notes would send you right over the top.

Keep going, this is nice !
Pierre

Brilliant Pierre! I'm so guilty of that myself
Bill

jimcjimc

Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Wow, I should thank Kevin again for reviving this thread as it had been sinking into forum oblivion....

Thanks, Pierre (& Bill) for the comments on strumming - that is a great suggestion. I will try to keep it in mind as I continue singing while strumming the chords.

Jay & Lynn - Good to hear from you on this. I actually have a chart from a workshop with a really nice (perhaps too difficult for me) finger picking arrangement, that I hope to get to (although I may simplify to start).

At this point, most of my time on this song is focused on the singing - trying to hit the right note and sustain it - it's a challenge for me.

I do really like this song and will keep working on it, but also find myself getting tired of it and needing to work on it a few days then, set it aside for a few days, and come back to it.

Thanks, again!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic