Busking arlo guthrie

jimcjimc

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:29 pm

this is actually a hoyt axton song called lightning bar blues, but I heard it first on an arlo guthrie album: hobos lullaby

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:13 pm

Jim, nice going there! Chord changes looked goods strumming was regular. Maybe use your second finger on the up strum (first finger nail on the down, second finger pad on the up) that may be smoother after a while. Maybe a second mic for your voice or move the one mic closer so we can get the voice coming through more? Great going Jim, keep them coming!

Lavallee

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:27 pm

Glad to see you posting again. I know you had a excellent duet recently but it has been a while that you posted by yourself. The strumming is coming along. I agree with Chris that if you move the microphone to your left , it will away from the sound hole and since you look at the fret board , you voice would be directly in it. Reducing the guitar sound level and increasing your voice. I will actually try something similar.

Great work

Marc

MarkM

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:58 pm

Jim,

Congrats on posting another video. Nice guitar you have there. Is that a 214? As Chris said, it looks like you have all the chord changes down really well and your vocals are layered on top nicely so none of that effects you as it does me. What are your thoughts on a pick? Some find it difficult to work with if they haven't before. Its like me trying to fingerpick but in reverse. I don't think I can recall you using one before. As you have the cords and vocals down my only suggestion would be to start with a light pick and gently strum the chords at about 3/4 the pace you are now until you get the hang of it. Maybe even start with strumming quarter notes first. That way you can move the mic a bit closer to your left and stil get the guitar and vocals out a bit louder. Nice work. Can't get enough of Arlo around here.

MarkM

ffsooo3

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:04 pm

MarkM wrote:
Jim,

Congrats on posting another video. Nice guitar you have there. Is that a 214? As Chris said, it looks like you have all the chord changes down really well and your vocals are layered on top nicely so none of that effects you as it does me. What are your thoughts on a pick? Some find it difficult to work with if they haven't before. Its like me trying to fingerpick but in reverse. I don't think I can recall you using one before. As you have the cords and vocals down my only suggestion would be to start with a light pick and gently strum the chords at about 3/4 the pace you are now until you get the hang of it. Maybe even start with strumming quarter notes first. That way you can move the mic a bit closer to your left and stil get the guitar and vocals out a bit louder. Nice work. Can't get enough of Arlo around here.

MarkM
And if holding a pick is too awkward (at first) maybe you could just pretend you are holding a pick (where you end up striking the strings with the flat part of your fingernail on your index finger on the downstrokes).

jimcjimc

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:10 pm

Chris, Marc, & Mark,
Thanks for the comments. I was going for intimidation there, I guess it didn't work :laugh:

One of the easy songs where I know the chords & words without looking at the sheet. I just bought a Kodak Zi8 camera, so wanted to try it out. I tried to set up the USB mike and record the audio with audacity. But I had trouble syncing them up in moviemaker, so the mike there is just a prop and I think it's just the camera mike you hear. I plan to get a cheap mike & mixer from radio shack next. The guitar is a 114 model. I have tried to use a pick - I never like the way it sounds - I need to work on it.

jayswett

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:45 pm

Loved your video. Regarding syncing the audio and video with moviemaker, there are some instructionval videos on youtube that demonstrate that fairly well. I don't use moviemaker much any more, but I recall that there is a "nudge" function that allows you to move the audo clip one way or the other. You might find that useful. Keep posting!

lueders

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi Jim, I enjoyed your post. Looked like you were having a blast to me. I like the song and your playing a whole lot. (Liked your recent collaboration also.) Nice to see more faces in these posts. (So Arlo Hoyt's covered tune?...gonna see if I can find the original. Really liked the lyrics. Those old songs are gems.)

BobR

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:00 pm

Hi Jim,

Good to see another post from you(solo this time :laugh: ). Looks like you have it down but would have liked to hear it a bit better. Maybe it was on my end not sure.

Thanks for posting

Bob

buddy

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 pm

I have not heard an Arlo Guthrie song in years, way to go for it Jim !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic