Busking SOUL MUSIC

buddy

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Tommy, Good to here from you my Scottish friend. Every time I see one of your posts I think of you speaking with this fantastic Scottish accent. Hope all is well on your side of the world as well,

Bud

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:32 am

Just played this for my daughter Alessandra and she LOVES it Buddy! She told me I had to tell you. :-)

buddy

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Chris,

Tell Alessandra thanks and give her a big hug from me. I know how special it is to have a daughter and they certainly are precious.

Bud

RicksPick

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 am

With so much bad news about its nice to hear some good news
Im truly happy for you both

RicksPick

buddy

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:20 am

Rick, Sorry I missed your post on this. Thanks for sharing in my joy.

michelew

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:24 am

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd share the beginning of my adventure into the land of bass playing with you. This is "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers. It's a great song with a cool bass part.

This is not all it could be by a long shot, it's got LOTS of warts. But the weekend is almost over and it's what I can do right now. Yep need those singing lessons. I was going to add other parts, but well - they will have to wait 'til the next adventure. My skill combo just isn't up to it yet, for example using iMove and GarageBand (iPad and Mac versions) and getting a little bit of a handle on how you can change the sound of the bass through the GarageBand amp. Still a baby there big time. Actually, I've just spent ages redoing the sound files because it was terribly distorted on export.

I've recorded lots of bloopers ... none included. I kept getting distracted and losing my way with "I know, I know, I know...." well I mostly didn't know where I was up to and ahhhh (I kept losing it and giggling) ... :) well that's why I don't "know" much compared to Bill in this version.

Back to the reason for this upload, I got myself a bass and I definitely don't know much there, but I'm giving it a go. Even holding it correctly has been a challenge and changing the way my fingers strike the strings has even been tricky. Well you should have seen it when I first started. Apparently it's not a cello - or a big arse guitar, but I was trying to play it like one. I have been working on lowering the neck and generally succeeding more than I am here (camera nerves) and relaxing my hands more. It will come I'm assuming.

Anyway, this is me starting my bass adventure. It's definitely been fun. Just playing root notes has even been fun. I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm a 'learning by doing' person. It's a good thing you're all so sweet. It may not look like it, but I am enjoying myself. You should see me when the camera is not on. Well I may not be smiling, but at least I'm not grimacing right?

Timing, ha! Who knew it was so tricky. :)

I've given this a general busking title, because I love soul and it would be great to see you bring out your soulful stuff, including your versions of "Ain't No Sunshine". By the way, its grey and stormy here today, seems appropriate.

Thanks for getting this far.

Chris - I promise I'll get back to my challenge, and making friends with that dragon. Hopefully it will be my next upload.

Thanks in advance for watching.

Michele

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:25 am

Hi Michele,,well you know how to challenging your self,,i almost forgot you were hunting for a heavy string guitar..lol

first of all you got me with the song and i am glad it went here to such a nice lesson(s).

I think you had a lot of fun starting the bass and that shows..

i think another song like ''stand by me''would be nice too to get on

wish you the best with your bass and some time i hope you blow us away..

have fun..

Willem

EDIT: i also think(a lot of thinkin on this early sunday morning) you got fingers for piano or keyboard...

daryl

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:32 am

What a great adventure! I bet it will be a long fruitful one. The possibilities are endless. You video confidence appears to be growing by leaps and bounds. I'm starting to hear you put emotion into your singing. Way to go. Looking forward to more "video postcards" of you adventure.....

dsmarion

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:35 am

Hey Michele,

So you did get the bass - good for you girl! I know you will be having some fun with that. And no, it ain't no cello LOL! I am sure you will get better (and have a lot of fun) learning to put the two parts together and I am sure the video editor wizards here will give you some guidance. I have not ventured into that area myself yet but I do know it's hard even laying down a track and then playing along unless your timing is very good.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

tombo1230

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:25 am

Well Shell you like a challenge. I would suggest using guitar pro and playing along with just a base line to start with for timing, then play the base along with a song. It will just be like anything else......practice makes perfect, but you already seem to be getting there, good luck! Look forward to seeing how you progress. B) :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic