Busking Leonard Cohen

tovo

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:20 am

Been working hard on travis picking technique, together with sorta "making it up as I go along" in terms of the melody, something I am trying to learn from Neil's instruction. I love this tune and thought I would try to travis pick it. I printed out a chart today and had a go. This is the 3rd take. Some mistakes, a real clanger chord in there (actually it was a failure to change when needed) and lost the lyric a little a couple of times. But hey...it's busking right!

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

haoli25

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:31 am

BRAVO, Tony. Excellent, excellent, excellent. Now I am going back to watch your video a few more times.

willem

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:27 am

just great Tony,,thanks for keeping LC alive..

reiver

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:34 am

Really liked this, Tony, thought you did a real good job (minor fluffs aside). If I say you have a great voice for Leonard Cohen songs I hope you take it as a compliment. You managed to get a lot of emotion into this.

Stuart

tovo

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:42 am

Hey Bill, nice to "chat" recently and as always, thanks for your unwavering support. (Stay away from Tulsa mate ;-) )

Willem dahnk oo vel! (That's the end of my Dutch)

Stuart I laughed out loud. Suzi said that once and I sorta replied that I wasn't sure she was being complimentary! Thanks for the compliment (both of you). The man is a living legend. I'll not get offended by any comparison with him.

willem

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:53 am

tovo wrote:

Willem dahnk oo vel! (That's the end of my Dutch)

Lets make it the beginning of your Dutch,,,''DANK JE WEL''

reiver

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:04 am

tovo wrote:
Stuart I laughed out loud. Suzi said that once and I sorta replied that I wasn't sure she was being complimentary! Thanks for the compliment (both of you). The man is a living legend. I'll not get offended by any comparison with him.
Well, someone not a million miles from here (Al!!) once told me I sounded like Johnny Cash :) I guess we take what we can get. (Don't worry Al, I got over it!)

It is slightly galling that Suzi thought that line up first though. Damn!

Glad you took it as intended - really liked the song

Stuart

RicksPick

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:39 am

Well Tony...I'm impressed, I've enjoyed this very very much, actually I think it's my favorite video of you!

Okay, why.....well for starters, your voice suits this song just pérfectly and you sang it with such feeling.. actually we have the same song in dutch, by Herman van Veen, one of our greatest singers and composers......and you just sang it with the same feeling, and yes this is súch a beautiful song..

And of course I paid attention to your travispicking, the thing that I find really really good is that you managed to keep it going, I mean really góing!

If I didn't pay attention, I might not even hear the minor 'fluffs'...for example, at one point you changed the rootnotes from the first and third beat to the second and fourth...I think you noticed something was off, so you hesitated playing, bút kept singing and you just went on with the next chord...I don't know if I make sense, but that's what I value the most, to keep going and get on track again...and it took you less than a breath...from my point of view a great accomplishment, cause most guitarplayers would get confused and stop playing...also here and there you hit the same bass-string twice, but it didn't confuse you, you kept on playing the rootnotes on the right beats....well there you have it!

Great work Tony, really great work! And thanks for sharing, never knew it was a LC-song! :huh:

Dank je wel! :P

Ness

willem

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:00 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Okay, why.....well for starters, your voice suits this song just pérfectly and you sang it with such feeling.. actually we have the same song in dutch, by Herman van Veen, one of our greatest singers and composers......and you just sang it with the same feeling, and yes this is súch a beautiful song..

Ness[/quote]

Well maybe it was better to play it myself(but i can't) but here is the dutch version...

tovo

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:07 am

Thanks again Willem, the Dutch version is really nice.

Stuart, I remember the Johnny Cash comment. The Scottish Johnny Cash eh? Nice.

Nesh you picked all the mistakes that I referred to (as I would expect from a player of your standard), but you turned them into a positive, almost made me glad I made them! ;) Your comments are very generous Nesh, thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic