Busking Leonard Cohen

Chasplaya

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:57 pm

Mate, what can you say about that simply awesome, best yet from you by a long chalk.

A definite keeper for that coffee shop open mic.

buddy

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:03 am

Tony my Man, you knocked this out of the park. You are really settling in with this tune and I am digging the new look to go with your renewed and wonderful playing of this tune.

Bud

tovo

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:12 am

Thanks very much Chas. Can I get a set of fingers like the ones in your cartoon?

Buddy, thanks indeed. What I can't achieve in terms of hair on my head I am trying to make up for with hair on my face (which is also my head I guess!)

As an aside, all the open mics I know of in my area are pubs. Not sure it is the best pub choice as it lends itself to a quieter environment I would have thought. I guess I'll have to make a choice. I do feel comfortable with it which is important.

cosmicmechanic

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:10 am

Tony, I managed to find your first version of this tune ... it took some research (I have my ways B) ) because it isn't really cataloged, even though it did get a review from Neil, mentioning that it brought a tear to his eye :blush:

Of course he meant that as a compliment :P

Comparing the two I think your vocal delivery had a good solid base in your first version, since it was clearly GOOD, but compared to this new version
the first sounds a bit thin. Of course reverb doesn't hurt, but it's clear that you've pretty much found how to place your voice for this tune if you stay in this pitch. If ever you decide to go low down, it may also be a worthy experiment.

Your guitar playing is smooth, also a big step up from that already long ago first try.

This looks to be in the bag as is, but I'm curious if maybe you've already tried it kinda lower (maybe raspy) closer to Cohen's version ?

Well deserved congrats ! This one is yours already my friend.

Pierre

willem

Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:15 am

Tony,,just great,,and i am sure the crowd will sing along on the hallelujah's 'cos there they feel all combined,, the video and sound was perfect over here(maybe a tad less reverb????)..

suzan was nice too i remember..

BigBear

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:05 am

Tony- Another great one!! One of the things that you are developing is patience, an attribute that all guitarists nned. You let the song come to you. You aren't rushing like you used to. This develops great feel and emotion. I'm sure this is due in part to not being so intimidated by the recording/video process. You are past that fear we all have.

Like Daryl said putting a little reverb in your vocal mix also gives a bit of a haunting feel. I like it.

You are becoming quite polished my friend! Well done indeed!! :cheer:

tovo

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:20 am

Pierre: Thanks my friend! Yeah I can go much lower without too much difficulty (High is a different story) but I lack that raspy gravelly quality in my voice which I would love to have. I'm not sure that trying to do it like Leonard is the way to go. I don't so much want to imitate Cohen but rather not murder his song! lol.

Willem: Thanks. Yes I agree. Perhaps a touch too much reverb. The mixer is new to me and I am still coming to grips with the best settings. I think Scott said in my last video that the mix wasn't the best and he was right. The guitar was much too prominent in the mix. This one is a better balance but yeah, could have dialed the reverb down a bit.

Bear: Thank mate. It's true that I don't get the awful butterflies that I used to when recording. I still get a bit nervous but that isn't a bad thing. Thanks for the comment on polish, I've got some good role models there.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:23 am

Wow! That is a great sound you have going there Tony. Excellent rendition all-round. Bloody well done!
Is the reverb added post recording or is what we hear what you heard as you recorded. Which ever way, it certainly adds excellent sound quality.

abiliog

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:30 am

Tony,
Definitely this song belongs to you.
You sing every word of it with emotion, you really love this song.
Wonderful playing and singing,
The open mic must have this one,
Abilio

tovo

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:51 am

Hey Chris thanks mate. The reverb is a feature of my new mixer and what you hear is what I hear as I record. I need to make sure I don`t get carried away with effects, I think it would be easily done.

Abiliog: Thanks very much I`m glad my love of the song comes through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic