Busking Leonard Cohen

tovo

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:46 pm

Rick thanks mate, check out Youtube and watch the man himself do it to see how it should be done. Beautiful song. Look forward to your next effort as well.

BigBear

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:52 pm

Tony- great job my friend on my favorite Leonard Cohen Song!! Very enjoyable!

The picking pattern you used can be used with so many songs. You know me, I can resist offering free advice when it's not called for! LOL!

Consider changing your picking pattern when you go to the chorus. If you are picking inside-out go to outside-in or some other pattern or even lightly strum. These long, slow folk songs get pretty boring verse after verse. Not your fault, you didn't write it but they need some logical breaks.

I love Gordie tunes and songs like Wreck of the Edmound Fitzgerald or the Ballad of Yarmouth Castle are long story songs but most listeners just don't want to hear all 50 verses or whatever it is. You have to change speed, volume, cadence or something to make them more listening-able.

Just a thought but I really enjoyed your performance. The song fit your voice well as well!

You're my hero!! LOL!

Take care mate! :cheer:

tovo

Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:38 pm

Rick thanks mate. I love the advice, there is no problem with that. If I hadn't had the great advice and help from you and others over our time here together I wouldn't be able to attempt that simple pattern, so I would be pretty ungracious to get all precious about getting advice now! I sure have some further practice to work out some options for keeping the pattern interesting. Daryl has offered some great advice to me as well on the same lines. Appreciate your advice as always mate, thank you.

tovo

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:35 pm

This was one of the first tunes I learned on TG. I love Leonard Cohen and wanted to do a busking version of this, one of my favourite tunes in the World. Video picture quality is a bit poor, it was real early in the morning and quite dark but it's OK I think.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

daryl

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:49 pm

Tony, FANTASTIC. Loved the reverb on your voice. This would be a great song for your open mic night.

Craig

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Nice job Tony! Your voice is nice and smooth on this. I have to agree with Daryl, your open mic set is taking shape.
Craig

BobR

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Tony,
I really like this song too. Your sound came through so good. The vocals had just the right tone (IMHO) and your playing was real nice as well. I agree with Daryl, great song for your open mic night.

Bob

dsmarion

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:10 pm

Tony,

This song is definitely one you should consider doing live if you haven't already. Your voice fits it perfectly and you play and sing it very well. I must have lived under a rock for quite a long time because I must confess I have never heard of this guy. Hard to believe since he has had a 5-decade career and is critically acclaimed. Of course he is also reportedly very reclusive as well from what I read about him just now on wikipedia. Thanks for sharing!

Scott

lueders

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:56 pm

DUDE!!! That was just PERECT!!! :) :) :) :)

Whatever you do, make sure you play this @ that the coffeeshop. The folkies & and arthouse rats will love you!!!
I said it before and I am saying it again his songs are PERFECT for you. You do such a great job on his stuff. Wonderful! This is another album I wore out in college. (I have owned it at least two different times
Because I suspect a college roommate of mine ACQUIRED it...but I digress.)I think that this song & "Hallelujah" are tied for L.C.'s Best....

I SINCERELY, really, really believe you are at your best with these ballady, troubadour-type songs.
I was reminded of your Springteen covers recently, also. Your version of Springsteen's River & Philadelphia were great too. Frankly, I think when you sing either one of these guys you are making an improvement on their wonderful songs because you simply sing them better than they do.It seems to me, they both, MOSTLY sing about four or five note range.

(The same with Johny Cash and the same with Jim Morrison... and how great are all of these guys? Well, they're some of the best. INMHO!) The River, might be an exception for Springsteen (range-wse) ; but mostly you have more range than either one of these guys I believe.

Your playing was excellent!!! Exactly what the song calls for to set the stage and tell the story. You've become a pretty darn solid finger-picker. You seem to turn out these finger picking songs like nothing flat it, seems...

P.S. I would be curious to see what you did with Cohen's: The Future, or This Is Murder. (Those came out in the early nineties and were featured on the Oliver Stone movie Natural Born Killers. Terrible movie, great songs. INMHO. lol!

Way to go T!!!

tovo

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Daryl: Thanks a lot. I went back into my comfort zone but always intended to post a version here.

Craig: Thanks as always mate

Bob: Cheers buddy much appreciated.

Scott: Whilst I'm a bit surprised that you haven't heard of Leonard, I'm kinda glad it happens to someone else! The number of times I have shocked friends here by confessing I have never heard of artist x is beyond description. Never played it live but could be on the cards.

Cori: Firstly your comments are generous and you know why I say so. I do like Springsteen very much as well as the Doors. We sure do share some taste in music. There's always a very good chance of me doing more of Leonard's stuff.

Most people who either actually know me or kinda know me, know that my confidence is fragile and goes up and down. I did this unashamedly to restore some self-confidence as I felt I could do a reasonable job. In future I'll be working on stuff that is more challenging for me, and also on try to keep a more even temperament.

Cheers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic