Busking Leonard Cohen

michelew

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:19 am

Tony,

Very intense song. I don't know it. But, I know Cohen is known for the intensity of his songs. And you sure did do justice to that.

Your picking was great, very steady. And as others have said you just kept going regardless of unintended notes. Very professional.

Great job mate. Champion effort, especially given you didn't invest much time in getting it together. as always, I love your voice and the hat.

Shel

pbraun

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:50 am

Tony that was great, really like the finger picking style!
Pete

buddy

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:17 am

Tony, I agree with others that this is really great. This is the most relaxed I have ever seen you play and the vocals were great on this. You seem to have hit a new level in your playing and singing and it is a real pleasure to see.

Bud

BobR

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:39 am

Tony,

Very nicely done. You seemed very comfortable and confident in both your playing and singing.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

jimcjimc

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:43 am

Tony,
Great job on a great song!
Jim

lueders

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:51 am

Man, I love that song! This definitely one of his two or three best. (Wore Cohen and Costello records out in college.) Nobody like Leonard Cohen and you pulled it off! Absolutely great Tony. That was a REAL Treat! Flowing and almost lilting.

Like Ness, said any flaws were quite minor. I guess I noticed the consecutive same base note thing a time or two but even that read as artistic choice I thought. Like has been said the casual listener isn't going to pick up on that.

snipe

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:56 am

Tony,

I m not familiar with this song but I can say you did it with passion and I thought it came out really great. Your skills continue to excell. I only wish I could have seen the whole guitar and fingers cause Im lacking in the finger picking department so it helps me to see someone doing it. Plus I really like that guitar!

Mike

suziko

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:13 am

Tony,

Ah... Leonard Cohen. Somewhere in my top 5 list of sexiest men's voices! You did him justice again, Tony. Love how your singing sounds on this and your simple Travis picking arrangement is a perfect accompaniment. Subtle and melancholy. The phrasing on this song seems like it could be difficult when singing. Did you find it that way? I never noticed how there are those long, run-on sentences in the lyrics. Did you have to consciously think about making sure you remembered to breathe? Anyway, it didn't seem to pose any problems for you.

Loved it!

Suzi

cosmicmechanic

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:21 am

Hey Tony,

I agree, all your guitar skills are now officially up a notch, if not more. I'm glad you showed us a "raw" version, it's gonna be a quiet bulldozer with a few more practice sessions. I was wondering if this has become my favorite video of yours ... decisions, decisions.

Did you know that Cohen has lived in Montreal on and off since his youth? Suzanne was written in the 60s, when there was still a good old fashioned sea-port here, and sailors tumbled off the ships straight into the cobblestone historic district, which was a Disneyland of bars. Now it's a safe and demure touristic area, very pretty, but not so many exotic stories to hear and no flying bottles.

"All men will be sailors then, until the sea shall free them ...".

Very enjoyable, smoooth performance,
Pierre

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Well played Tony and sung, I just tuned out the minor fluffs and tuned in to the song... Loved how you kept playing very professional mate. I didn't realise this was a LC song, I first heard it sung by Fairport Convention and the late Sandy Denny (Neil has a lesson on one of her biggest hits somewhere, 'Who Knows Where the Time Goes', check it out).

Here's their version

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic