Busking Leonard Cohen

tovo

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Suzi I hear you. I avoid alternate tuning songs like the plague so I don't have to re-tune all the time. Dumb I know but there it is.

Dancer, thanks for your comment and compliment.

I don't think there is a specific theory lesson on Travis picking, could be wrong (I checked also), but there are certainly several tunes that will help you to pick up the technique if you go through the "right hand" component of those lessons. Try "Landslide", "Just Breathe", "Streets of London" and there are a number of others. Obviously it helps if you are tuned into the song, and I don't know your preference. Just look at the right hand aspect of a few finger picking songs and you will get some great instruction. Hope that helps a little.

dennisg

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:06 pm

(from Jamie)

I thought you did a beautiful job on Suzanne. Great guitar work and you have a very sweet voice. Thanks for sharing.

- Jamie

tovo

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Jamie I am thrilled that you would take the time to watch and comment on my video. You made my day, thanks sincerely.

Lavallee

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:05 am

Hi Tony, you did a great job. I find you are particularly good with songs that have a lot of emotions to be carried. I find your playing and singing are driven by your heart rather than the brain (played well with the extra touch that makes the difference). As it was said before, a great add on to your open mic night.

Marc

tovo

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:16 am

Lavallee wrote:
Hi Tony, you did a great job. I find you are particularly good with songs that have a lot of emotions to be carried. I find your playing and singing are driven by your heart rather than the brain (played well with the extra touch that makes the difference). As it was said before, a great add on to your open mic night.

Marc
Marc, I think you are right to say that my heart drives my brain. Not just in music either! It gets me into a bit of trouble but I will listen to my heart over my brain until I die I think. I try to tell myself.."engage your brain before you act"...but often my emotions drive me. Oh well...it seems to help a little in music.

I always look forward to your comments Marc my friend. Merci beaucoup.

AcousticAl

Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:19 pm

reiver wrote:
tovo wrote:
Stuart I laughed out loud. Suzi said that once and I sorta replied that I wasn't sure she was being complimentary! Thanks for the compliment (both of you). The man is a living legend. I'll not get offended by any comparison with him.
Well, someone not a million miles from here (Al!!) once told me I sounded like Johnny Cash :) I guess we take what we can get. (Don't worry Al, I got over it!)

It is slightly galling that Suzi thought that line up first though. Damn!

Glad you took it as intended - really liked the song

Stuart

That guy Al sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders.
B)
I don't remember which song it was Stuart, but I'm sure I meant it the same way you meant your comment to Tony. Hope there wasn't much to 'get over'-- as 'The Man in Black' rocks!

Tony- I enjoyed this upload.
One thing I noticed was the fingerpicking.. Were you hitting the strings with the pads of your fingers instead of your fingernails? Specifiacally the bass notes? I think the notes could be clearer if you used your nails on the strings.
You might have been using your nails on your fingers, but it was tough to tell with your framing-- maybe zoom out a bit next time so we can see your hands better?
Anyways, thanks for sharing!

tovo

Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Al,

I don't have any nails that's why I don't use any. I've tried to grow them and the moment they start to sprout they break. I've considered using false ones, does anyone on TG do that I wonder?

AcousticAl

Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:14 pm

tovo wrote:
Al,

I don't have any nails that's why I don't use any. I've tried to grow them and the moment they start to sprout they break. I've considered using false ones, does anyone on TG do that I wonder?

Right-- think you might have told me that before.

Anyways- zoom the camera ooot just a bit so we can see what you're up to.

:)

thereshopeyet

Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:16 pm

Thanks

AcousticAl

Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:27 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Al Wrote:
zoom the camera ooot just a bit so we can see what you're up to.
That could be very private Al !!!

:woohoo:
Right AGAIN!

Gotta be so careful what we type!
:blink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic