Collaboration of June Hymn

suziko

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Contrary to the video evidence you’re about to watch we have never actually met. When the idea for a collaboration video first arose, Stuart had the idea that he could make it look like we were in the same room. All Suzi would have to do was record a video with a Stuart-sized space at the side. The rest is smoke and mirrors. And a fair bit of sweat and stress!

We had a great time putting this together. The song is from the latest album by The Decemberists called The King Is Dead. If, when you watch it, you get one-tenth of the enjoyment that we got from making it then we’ll be very happy

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

MarkM

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:37 pm

Holy crap that was great!!! Wow what fun that was to watch. Both of you played really well. Suzi, great job on the hammerons there and Stuart very nice harp playing!!! Nice singing to the two of you as well. OK now on to the secret sauce. How the heck did you do that video??? That was just too cool. Thanks for putting all the hard work into this and for sharing it with us. I'm very impressed with this production.

MarkM

willem

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:39 pm

First of all i enjoyed this 100%,,,second Stuart has a lot of explaining to do abaut this great video editing,,but i can believe this magic,,,,Suzi you even act that you were looking and smiling at Stuart, and reverse..

For the song i'm not familiar with it but enjoyed the playing/singin together,,just great,,,life is one suprise since TG,,,THANK YOU BOTH,,

BobR

Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Suzi/Stuart,

First let me say that the playing and singing was great. Unfortunately I am at work and can't hear thru one earphone that well so I will definitely be listening to this at home

Now the video was incredible. Are you sure you're not in the same room :laugh: ? That was awesome.

Bob

snipe

Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Suzi, Stuart,

That was great! Not only did you guys look like you were having a blast , it was a great little tune. Loved It!!
I imagine that it must have been a chore to edit this. Kudos and Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

tovo

Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:54 pm

Well I can't believe how professional that production was. As someone already said, can't believe you are not in the same room. Brilliantly done. The tune is not one I have ever heard but that's great, it's very nice to be introduced to new artists in such an enjoyable way.

Suzi I think that is your best singing effort to date by some distance. Stuart, you perform with a type of relaxed style I wish I could emulate.

Remember back when we did Heart of Gold? How very far this has come.

What a great start to my day.

suziko

Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:25 pm

MarkM- Thank you! I’ll leave Stuart to explain the story behind the video production. I appreciate your comment about the hammer-ons. As I’ve said before, I’ve always admired your flatpicking skill, and it’s a technique I’ve been working more on this year (last year was devoted almost entirely to fingerpicking).

Willem- I’m glad you enjoyed this. I very much enjoyed your recent collaborations with Vanessa, and it was fun for me to do something like that, even if it was a long distance collab.

Bob- Thanks so much. I had a great time learning this song and putting this video together with Stuart. I’m glad you enjoyed it, too.

Mike- I’m glad you liked this song. The entire album is just stellar and filled with tons of great acoustic guitar playing. I’d recommend highly recommend checking it out.

Tony- Thank you so much for the compliment. I admit that I worked REALLY hard to get the singing down on this song. It’s not perfect by a long shot, but I do feel proud of what I was able to do. It’s not something that comes easily to me, and I think It’ll probably always be a struggle. Luckily, it’s also an enjoyable struggle.

The Heart of Gold collaboration was a big inspiration to both Stuart and myself to put together another collaboration (on a smaller scale). We both were involved in that collab and talked a lot afterwards about things we learned from it. We’ve been tossing around the idea ever since then of doing a collaboration, but it took us a year to finally make it happen. Luckily, I’m quite proud of what we put together.

I thought I’d include a link to the original song, since probably few of you have heard this song (since the album is only a month old):

ffsooo3

Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:37 pm

Brilliant! I am in awe. This sorta reminds me a Forest Gump.

willem

Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:38 pm

OMG! :ohmy: Suzi and Stuart, that was just FANTASTIC! I smiled all the way through, haha, how did you do that?? You two were even pretending as if you're in the same room, could have fooled me big time, what a treat!

However, I do know the song because Suzi told me about this group the Decemberists a couple of weeks ago, the record has been on repeat in my house ever since, such a great album! (Unfortunately the concert wich will be in Amsterdam in march is sold out... :( )

Guitarwise, lots of passing bassnotes, hammerons and steady strumming, and you just pulled it off great Suzi, (except for Pearly Shells I haven't seen you strum before) and you sang really well too, you got the melody down all the way through, I'm só proud of you! :cheer:

Stuart, I just loved the harmonica, wich is really an important part of the song, as well as the extra vocals, also very nice that you played this up the neck (in the key of G) wich adds a lot to it, very well done!

Well guy and gal, such a gréat job, like I said the performance was so good and natural, that I would actually believe you were there together!

I just absolutely lóved it!

Ness

reiver

Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Just before I start with the thanks – I’d like to say a big thank you to Suzi. She made this project a lot of fun with her infectious enthusiasm (who said impatience!) and her playing and singing were absolutely fantastic. I just had to try not to ruin it! As for the technical details.......I’ll keep the mystery alive a little longer, I think!

Mark – thanks for the kind words. Really glad you enjoyed it. There was some hard work but we’re really pleased with how it turned out.

Willem – she is a good actress, isn’t she? At least I had her video to react to. Glad you enjoyed it and very grateful for your constant support here.

Bob – If that one earphone is on Suzi’s side you’re in luck! Thanks for watching and the kind words.

Mike – It was fairly stressful but all worthwhile now. Glad you enjoyed it, thank you.

Tony – Another constant voice of support – thank you for the kind words. I agree with you entirely on Suzi’s singing – and I had to listen to it a LOT! As for my relaxed style....Ha! I’m glad that’s how it comes across – it’s NOT how it feels! Glad you enjoyed it and thanks again for always taking the time.

ffsooo3 - I suppose TG is like a box of chocolates! Glad you liked it.

Ness - I guess you're one of the few lucky enough to recognise the song. Glad you enjoyed our version. Thanks for watching and the kind words.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic