Collaboration of June Hymn

cosmicmechanic

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Flabbergastingly impressionnating conjunctiveness of teledeportational melodious initiative !!

Too much !

Suzi, only compliment I can add that has not yet been said : Nice yellow paint job on the walls to go with the "Yellow Bonnet" chorus !

Stuart, I may know some people who often need an alibi regarding their whereabouts, what are your video editing rates ?

Also, thanks for showcasing this band, great stuff !

Pierre

millponddave

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Wow, and to think, I'm still trying to figure out how to use my camera and post anything!! Amazing job. I really enjoyed it.

Dave

wammer

Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Total loss for words......Amazing

BobR

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Suzi / Stuart,

Well I just got home and I listened again to your collaboration So much better when I could hear it in both ears. Excellent Job.

Bob

Lavallee

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:52 pm

Suzi and Stuart , it was very enjoyable. I like that you pushed the act by smiling at each other, great idea. Good montage, very original. I agree with the hammer ons and the singing Suzi and Stuart playing in another key, harmonica, back voice.

Just a fantastic video.

Marc

suziko

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:06 am

Dennis- Thank you so much for what you said. You know that learning to sing better has been a struggle for me, and there were plenty of times I felt like a lost cause. But even I can see the progress I’ve made, listening to myself in this song. I know there are still some bad notes in there, but I’m happy with my overall performance and I feel like I can continue to improve. And I have to thank you, again, for the fact that I’m even doing it at all. You may not have been the first to encourage me to try singing in a video on TG, but you were the first who didn’t take “Oh, no, you don’t want to hear that” for an answer. So, thank you for your persistence, your support, and your kindness. You are a true friend.

Dermot- Thanks for taking the time to watch! Glad you enjoyed. All the wizardry is thanks to Stu.

Ken- Your comment was really kind. I’m glad you enjoyed the video we put together. It was great fun to do. You’re right that there’s lots of talent around here at TG. I’m inspired every day.

Chris- I’m so glad you enjoyed it! As another one of the original “LDC-ers” you know how much fun these can be. And I just saw that you’ve got a new collaboration video up, too, so I’ll be checking that out later this morning!

Craig- It would have been a lot easier to organize this if Stuart HAD just come over. But as he lives 4,000 miles from me, he kept “claiming” it was too long of a drive. Sheesh! Anyway, thank you for watching. I’m glad you think I looked more confident. I’m not sure I felt that way! Though I’ll confess that this was the first time that I can remember that I used the first take for a video at TG. Usually I end up filming at least half a dozen times. But I did this one and thought, “It might not be perfect, but I don’t think I can do better.” Believe me, that was a relief, because I greatly dislike filming over and over.

Rick- Thank you! Really glad you enjoyed.

Lueders- Your comment made me laugh out loud! Glad to see there’s another fan of the Decemberists here at TG. Have you listened to The King is Dead, yet? I didn’t think I could love an album of theirs more than The Hazards of Love, but I think this one topped that one for me. I’m so glad you liked our version of it. Stuart found a wonderful version of Colin Meloy playing it solo, and initially we were trying to go for something like that. Problem was that I kept playing along with the album, the tempo of which is quite a bit faster! Poor Stu. I think he was cursing me when he had to play along with my part because I’d jigged through it so quickly. I blame it on nerves!

Pierre- Thank you! I’d like to say that I painted the walls to go with the video, but alas, they just happened to be that color. Thanks for watching. You should check out more by The Decemberists. I think you’d like them.

Dave- Believe me, I have no idea how to edit a video. But you don’t need to do something fancy to put it on TG. Just sit in front of the camera and play. I’d love to see you post something!

Tammy- Thank you! Really glad you enjoyed it.

Bob- I’m glad to hear we weren’t worse when you could hear us in both ears! Thanks so much!

Marc- I’m glad you enjoyed our little collaboration. It was a lot of fun, and I think we were both quite pleased with how it turned out. Thanks for your kind words and, as always, for your support.

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:29 am

Wow!

You two did an amazing job with this collaboration. It is so hard to believe that you two were not actually in the same room. Great job mixing and editing the video. The playing was stellar on both parts, as well as the signing. This, in my opinion, goes down as one of the best to date. Thank you guys so much for creating this video. Also, I have to say that you both looked so damn comfortable while playing. Very, very cool! BTW, Stuart, sweet harp playing. Would love to give that a go sometime, but only if I can ever get the guitar to sound good when I play.... :P

You two ought to be very proud of the effort. I know I am smiling from ear to ear. I can wager with complete certainty that Neil is doing the same.

J

reiver

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:22 am

Pierre – Thanks for watching – really glad you enjoyed it. Why does it not surprise me to know that you know people who often need an alibi?

Dave – Thank you, glad you enjoyed it.

Tammy – Thanks – glad you managed to find one word! And it was a good one.

Bob – I’m relieved that the sound didn’t let the video down for you! Thanks.

Marc – I think that the “acting” all adds to the simulation of reality – I’m glad it worked for you. Thanks for the kind words.

MJ – Thank you. You should definitely try playing harp while you play guitar – it’s a lot of fun. I’m not going to pretend that it’s easy for me (especially trying to hit a Bm7!) but it does get easier with practice. And it won’t get any easier ‘til you try it! I won’t speak for Suzi but I am very proud of how this turned out (I think she is too!). Thanks again for commenting.

Hydroman52

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Hi Suzi & Stuart,

Wow! Great performance and exceptional video production. Is this a commercially available “Green Screen in a Box for the Home User”? I can’t wait for the reveal on that one. Well, the playing is solid. Singing and playing are noticeably improving every time you post a video, I liked the way you two capo-ed to get different voicings, and the harmonica is a nice (and difficult) addition. Many, many compliments all around. You two can be very proud of this one. Good acting, too.

For those who have time to read more and are interested, a little more information on The Decemberists . . . . . .

This is ironic. Last week, the bass player that I jam with every week sent me an email saying that he would like to try a new song that he heard on UW Stevens Point (Wisconsin) radio station. It was The Decemberists - Calamity off of their The King is Dead album. I did some research on it and, yesterday, at our weekly practice session, we decided to add it to our practice list. They have been on my to-be-watched list since 2006 or 2007 when I listened to them on a couple of live studio performances at KEXP radio out of Seattle. Here are a couple of links to these performances:

The Decemberists 2004 Live Studio Performance at KEXP

The Decemberists 2005 Live Studio Performance at KEXP

We didn't actually try to play the song last night, because we save our practice time together for songs that we have already worked on separately. That way, we don't waste valuable time blocking out songs. While I was researching this one, I also came across a link to a video that was recorded by Portland Public Broadcasting of a live performance in January 2011 with an interview and songs performed from their King is Dead album. You can watch it (for a limited time . . . . hurry) and/or listen to it here:

The Decemberists January 2011 Live Studio Performance in Portland

It was also interesting to see discussions on Internet sites of people trying to decode the meaning of their lyrics. They can be a bit thought provoking.

And once again, Suzi & Stuart, good work. . . . . both of you,

Hydroman52

ceaser67

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:01 pm

stuart and suzi,
that was brill really enjoyed that,these collabarations are a real treat to watch,suzi you have a great singing voice aswell,great job guys

Youre scottish friend
Tommy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic