Busking Cyndi Lauper

JHall

Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:58 am

I've been MIA from TG for some weeks now and am trying to catch up on all the great busking going on here. This was recorded a few months ago on my laptop cam during a virtual open mic session. I've since improved my sound and video setup but haven't had time to re-record this one. There are no Cyndi Lauper lessons yet so I thought this might be a good one to busk. I really like the message in this song and hope you do too.

John

P.S. I had a few seconds of stage time left after the song so I just played whatever.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

haoli25

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:20 am

That was excellent, John. I really enjoyed your singing and playing on this one. Thanks for sharing this video.

Bill Image

lueders

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:53 am

Cyndi Lauper Fans Unite!!! Been a closet fan for years. You don't look that old; but are you by any chance a child of the Eighties? A lot of happy nostalgia for me with her music.( Right up there with parachute pants and Charles in Charge.) I'm really glad I am an insomniac & I didn't go to bed yet. There are just to many good posts going up.

That was outstanding, man! Like that Eric Brazillian... he writes good stuff...and you hit it out of the park!That was fantastic. How did you come by this arrangement. (looks & sounds like a good one.)

I'll bet that is tough to play and sing at the same time. Is it? Anyways, great post. Thanks alot.

Like that little jazzy deal you were doing after wards too.

Cori

willem

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:18 am

Wonderful John,,my all time favorite,,maybe i know now how to play it,,,thanks

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:19 am

Nice job John! Great idea to do Cindi Lauper it really worked. Good to see you back on site too.
Time after Time would make a great lesson too... a mix of the original and Eva Cassidy's version is what comes to mind.

Edit: John, if it's all right to use your thread to ask folks to vote for another Cindi Lauper song, I'd like folks to go vote for Time After Time:
Vote here please!: http://www.totallyguitars.com/song-voti ... -time.html

willem

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:40 am

Wauw, John, a male doing Cindy Lauper, very well done!

You just played the guitarpart perfectly in time and also the percussive effect on that was spot on, your singing was great, what can I say?! You just did gréat!

Cheers

Ness

ffsooo3

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:12 am

Nice to see you back. Excellent picking and singing. I agree with Chris, I think you would do a fantastic job with "Time After Time"......

dennisg

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Great job, John. Beautiful guitar and wonderful voice.

JHall

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Hey, thanks everybody!

Bill, that "hands clapping" animation always raises a smile! :-)

Cori, YES I'm a child of the Eighties and LOVE almost all the music from that era. Michael Penn, Tears For Fears, The Housemartins, Echo and the Bunnymen, Oingo Boingo,... I could go on all day. There are a bunch of acoustic arrangements of this song out on Youtube and you can take the parts you like and put them together. It was a little difficult to play and sing it at first... but then it always is.

Willem, I'm sure you can learn this one... message me if you have any questions about it.

Chris, no problem with posting on this thread, "Time After Time" is a great song...I voted for it. The Eva arrangement might be doable for me if I dumb it down a bit for my skill level. I'm always amazed by these artists who possess both incredible vocal abilities along with top-notch guitar skills. Emily Sailers of Indigo Girls is another one that comes to mind... man, that girl can PLAY!

Ness, yeah, I play a bunch of songs by female artists (Indigo Girls, Tracy Chapman, etc.). For me, a good song knows no gender... well, unless it's pointed out explicitly in the lyrics! :-) For example, in "Fast Car" Tracy Chapman sings "...and I work in the market as a checkout girl". So I just sing "... and I work in the market as a checkout clerk"... hope she doesn't mind!

Daryl, hey bud... I might try "Time After Time". It's another great song... so many songs, so little time. I'm still working on my finger picking... how's Bleeker Street coming?

Dennis, thanks for watching.

John

lueders

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:16 pm

JHall wrote:
[quote]

Ness, yeah, I play a bunch of songs by female artists (Indigo Girls, Tracy Chapman, etc.). For me, a good song knows no gender... well, unless it's pointed out explicitly in the lyrics! :-) For example, in "Fast Car" Tracy Chapman sings "...and I work in the market as a checkout girl". So I just sing "... and I work in the market as a checkout clerk"... hope she doesn't mind!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEY, VANESSA! I HOPE YOU SAW THIS....DO I SENSE THE MAKINGS OF A "TRACY CHAPMAN COLLABORATION" in the future? I hope so!!! Persistent as rust on a bumper...aren't I?

Cori

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic