June Hymn Collaboration - The technology stuff!

reiver

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Hi everyone.

There has been a fair amount of interest in the technology behind the recent collaboration video that Suzi and I threw together (!) this week, so for the technophiles out there here is a brief account of how we managed it.

Suzi recorded her track first using her Kodak Zi8 and positioning herself to the side – leaving room for me – and reacted with the empty space much like an actor in a CGI movie would. I think she made this year’s Oscar shortlist. Below is a screen shot of what that video looked like.

As many of you realise, I then recorded myself against a green backdrop, also using a Zi8, and played along with Suzi’s video through an earbud. Here is another screenshot of what my original video looked like.

The green was then deleted from my video - a technique known as Chroma Keying - which left me with no background whatsoever. I then overlaid my video onto Suzi’s and resized and relocated myself to appear in the empty space.

All that was left to do then was sync the 2 videos - which was mostly successful – and render the constituent parts into a single video. Simple!

The biggest problem with doing this is the lighting. The green screen must be well lit and uniform in colour with no bright spots or shadows – something I only just managed as you can see from the screenshot above. I used Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 to do all the editing.

Thanks to all who took the time to watch and comment on our collaboration. We really appreciate it.

Stuart

ffsooo3

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:30 pm

So, if I were to tack a green sheet to my wall and smoothed it out so there were no wrinkles or shadows I could do a chroma key thing?

lueders

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:36 pm

Stuart, thanks for the behind- the- scenes reveal. When I get a whole lot more time and a little better hardware, software and pretty much everything... I might give this a try. This is really cool stuff!!! Thanx Man!

reiver

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:36 pm

ffsooo3 wrote:
So, if I were to tack a green sheet to my wall and smoothed it out so there were no wrinkles or shadows I could do a chroma key thing?
Provided you have the video editing software - absolutely!

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:39 pm

Darn slick there Stuart...... Pretty cool what is available to us at home these days......

J

suziko

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:42 pm

I still can't believe how great this looks, Stuart. And I far prefer the video with you in it. I felt a little like a crazy person, watching myself smile and nod at the air next to me!

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:13 pm

Great idea... I'm now going to check out if I can cromakey and make things disappear... the mind boggles at what could be done. If I wear a green shirt I can be a set of amazing body free, guitar playing arms! I see the point about the lighting. You light an area up and don't realise that the green can be white to almost black if the lighting isn't right. There is no colour without light so lighting is everything.
Great job guys and thanks for the low down!

sbutler

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:21 pm

Well the bottom line to this, (and its still amazing to me) is that anyone subscribing to TG, could do a duet with Stuart.

Hell, he could even start a band with all the Hot Chicks we have in it.

But what would we call them???????? hmmmmmm

Maybe Tony should get involved here.

Scott

suziko

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Hmmmmm.... I never thought of Tony as one of the Hot Chicks of TG.

:lol:

sbutler

Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Suzi, I didn't mean to say that Tony was one of the hot chicks, but he is a very deep thinker of thoughtful thoughts.

I trust he could come up with a name befitting the TG band by proxy.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic