Busking Justin Hayward

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:49 am

Chris Busking New Horizons which is a Moody Blues song written by Justin Hayward

The original of this is on Seventh Sojourn which is an album that accompanied my through University and cemented my love of the Moody Blues and Justin's great writing and vocals. He did a 12 string version of this, studio style in tuning and I think it's even better than the original. I couldn't work out the tuning so I have copied the style of the 12 string version but tuned my guitar down 2 half steps and played it in G (Original in F). I sat down at my lap top and played guitar and sang "live" to get a good quality recording (one take) using Adobe Audition which did a much better job than Audacity. I added a vocal reverb but nothing else and it's not perfect but has the live quality I was going for. Then I sat in front of the camera to get a visual (one take) and played along with the recording. When my daughter, Alessandra, heard it she cried so this one is special for me! Hope it sounds o.k. to you. Thanks to Bill and Daryl for their initial feedback on the soundtrack.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:05 am

A ray of hope, this tune. I do like the Moodies.

Chris, this is a polished performance, your voice is the best I've heard it sound yet, and that's saying a lot.

I did sing along with you, next time I'll prepare by inhaling some helium to get the notes as high as you do.

Way to go with the 12-string :) Music to my ears !

It's an hour before noon here this Sunday morning, gonna be a great day, for sure.

Thanks,
Pierre

[Edit]

I read your intro notes after writing the above. You lip-synch way better than the Moody Blues did !
Thanks for sharing about your daughter's reaction ... my own playing has caused tears, but not for the same reasons :side:

buddy

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:06 am

Chris, This is very special. You really brought out the emotion and feeling of this song. I always love your voice. The 12 string was perfect for this song and added a lot of fullness to the song. Glad you could touch Alessandra with your music. It is really touching that you have stayed close with her since that is not always the case as our girls grow up.

Loved it and looking forward to the next one,

Bud

BobR

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:34 am

Chris,

That was very nice. Your singing is always so good and of course your playing on the 12 string sounds great.

Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Lavallee

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:38 am

Hi Chris, the sound makes it certainly among your best videos. it sounds professional.Not sure how much the software have improved the sound but you had mentioned that it was a high end software. I heard the original live when I visited you and it was already very good. The reverb seem to give that recording sound. If Alessandra was not pealing onions ;) , then it is the best compliment you can get.

Marc

MarkM

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:53 am

Chris,

Really nice job here!!! I must say that you don't give yourself enough credit with the guitar. I noticed that you have a very fluid strumming hand with no wasted motion! Picture perfect and it came though on the song very well. I can't think of another song that you played any better than this. As always, fantastic vocals. Some of your strongest yet. I always look forward to your videos. Between this one and your last one with Daryl, you are on a serious roll!! Great stuff. Thanks for sharing it.

MarkM

ffsooo3

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Very nice. Smooth playing and nice high notes there on the vocals. I thought the audio and video qualities were excellent. Imagine how it will sound with your new mic!

willem

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Just great again Chris,,i must admit i am not so familair with all moody bleus songs but i think i gonna purshase some...

Your singin and i think nobody told you yet is very great...lol

Oke i made a joke above(last line),,why,wel that is to come back on your strumming that you not give credit enough,,,it is just great and listen back,,you can hear it very best on the parts were you not have to sing,,,just great,,but i wonder if you would use a plectrum how will it sound then,,better? or more on diffrent place's or full strums,,I don't know really,just wondering...

thanks Willem

abiliog

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:05 pm

Chris,
I think this was your best video ever. Just love it, great sound and your voice surely is a gift.
Just excellent,
Thanks for sharing,
Abilio

sbutler

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Chris, that was as close to perfect as it gets. If you had done that on a street corner, and sat by an empty coffee can, it would certainly be full by now.

Your daughter isn't the only one you've touched with this song. The emotion has traveled around the world now. Literally.

Wonderful job on the strumming, the singing and the song.

Thanks for sharing,

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic