Busking Steve Earle

jimcjimc

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:50 pm

Jerusalem Steve Earle

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

reiver

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Jim! Where's the harmonica part!

Steve Earle is another favourite of mine Jim - glad to see a busking thread start up. Good steady tempo and some tricky barre chord in there - nice work. Was worried about your right sleeve muting the strings - just something to watch out for. And good to see more people taking on the singing challenge. Good for you.

Stuart

tovo

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:43 pm

Hey Jim. I agree with Stuart, good on you for having a crack at the singing. With only a couple of notable exceptions, we are all amateurs in that regard and learning all the time.

I reckon some practice aimed specifically at getting cleaner barres would be time really well spent and would be the single best way to improve this number for you. Hey, I know it's busking and not review but it's just my suggestion.

Nice to see you posting video again Jim.

Cheers mate.

suziko

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi Jim! I don't know that many Steve Earle songs, though I'd love to see someone tackle Sparkle and Shine sometime. That's a favorite of mine.

I agree with Stuart- it's good to see people singing on TG. Your voice was a bit drowned out by your guitar. I know some people here use a separate microphone for getting a good sound for their videos. It's something you could consider.

Thanks for posting!

Suzi

suziko

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:01 pm

Hey Jim!

I agree with the others, great to see you again and singing as well!

I especially liked your right hand wich was strumming in time no matter what, wich is thé most important thing to do!

Keep it up and thanks for posting,

cheers

Ness

lueders

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:37 pm

Nice song choice on this one...great song from a great album. Always like to see anything Steve Earle. And this might be one of his best. (Like"Gallway Girl" too.) I enjoyed your post, sir thanks

buddy

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:44 pm

Jim, You are making progress with every video you post. Kudos to you for taking on a tough song with the barr chords to help you progress in your playing. Nice guitar as well, really a pretty piece of wood on the top.

Bud

neverfoundthetime

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Well done Jim! Not so easy on the left hand for that song for you but you kept the right on time all the way through as Vanessa pointed out. Keep them coming Jim!

jimcjimc

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:45 am

Thanks to all for the comments.

stuart - I hadn't listened to steve earle's version of this in a while - I forgot it had the harmonica solos. I do have 2 harmonicas and I got a harmonica holder for Christmas. I haven't been able to make good notes from my harmonicas - I can sort of do a bo-diddley riff on the harmonica - my only chance now for a harmonica/guirar song is busking buddy holly - not fade away.

Tony - I worked quite a bit on the D-> Bm transitions in this song, but the camera never lies - I have a bit of work to do on it yet

Suzi - I did this song as I had the chords from a class I had taken. I do have a Steve Earle songbook with about 2 dozen songs in it, but not Sparkle & Shine, which I agree, is a great song

Vanessa - thanks for the encouragement - I think I know what you mean by "no matter what" - a bit too much of that.

Cori - I think I have most or all of Steve Earle's CDs - he is a great songwriter

Buddy - this song was a stretch for me - most of my other videos were really simple songs with repeating patterns of 2-3 chords - This song had some patterns, but lots of variations - I worked on this for weeks - one day I recorded about a dozen versions and deleted them all. I was working on this song so much, I was really getting sick & tired of it after a while.

Chris - thanks as always for your comments.

willem

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:04 pm

So Jim,,my weekend has started now and have some time to watch and listen to your busking upload,,i am not familair with Steve Earl but go check him out 'cos of the title 'Jurusalem'',, a lot af good things started there were we try to live with...thanks for sharing...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic