Busking for MattB

Music Junkie

Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:31 am

Matt:

I in turn thank you for your courage and inspiration. I am truly in awe of your strength.

Like Tony mentioned, you seem to be surrounded by a great deal of true friends. That speaks volumes on the type of person you are. Get well soon, and we will all be ready for your challenge..... B)

J

tombo1230

Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:24 pm

Mark that was really well done, a beautifull tune, nice finger picking.

Tom N.

lueders

Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:50 pm

lueders

Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:00 pm

Here is an update to one of my still-evolving compositions: "Mighty Matt B."

Just thought I would post this for the heck of it...and to show some of the structure that was add.

Thanks Cori

P.S. Still Thinking about you Matt... [file/]

lueders

Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:42 pm

This is an update to an early composition: "mighty Matt B."

It is still evolving...

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

schm040

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:47 am

leuders,

Great post. It seems to me you have a terrific feel for the song you wrote and I felt myself being drawn into it. I really like how you were able to get some melody/lead going with the solid rhythm playing.

MattMa

Music Junkie

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:00 am

Cori:

You wrote that yourself???? I thoroughly enjoyed that. What a nice piece to dedicate to Matt as well. I would not be able to think anything like that up, so I am very jealous. Thanks so much for sharing with us. B)

Jason

lueders

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:11 pm

Matt & Jason, thanks alot fellas. Sometimes it is nice to bounce this stuff off of people and see what they think. I make up a lot of things that are primitive and fairly idiosyncratic. It is nice to get another set of ears or two, to kinda help you figure out what is working and what isn't so much...

Cori

Music Junkie

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:23 pm

lueders wrote:
Matt & Jason, thanks alot fellas. Sometimes it is nice to bounce this stuff off of people and see what they think. I make up a lot of things that are primitive and fairly idiosyncratic. It is nice to get another set of ears or two, to kinda help you figure out what is working and what isn't so much...

Cori
Cori:

Did you have a lot of music theory under your belt to come up with this, or is it a result of messing around? I will mess around from time to time, but don't really know where to go with things that I start. I am impressed by your progressions in this piece, and where you went with them.

Jason

lueders

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:49 pm

Jason, Thanks again, Man... I was just trying to take advantage of all the open notes/voicings a person can use in the key of E. I never throw away a riff or lick idea either...you never know when you might be able to tweak it a little and use it.I got a LONG way to go with making up my own stuff but... I like to think I am learning a little bit of the theory stuff all the time. Neil's chord family stuff has really helped...BIGTIME! Generally speaking, I am aware of the number of each chord (1-7) in guitar friendly key.A,C,D,E,G. Within the key I just look for a certain combination(s) that I like. I think it is a cool thing to throw in sub, and secondary sub-dominants too.(like a lot of people do noodling around...I'm sure.) I would like to get to where I borrow more from closely related keys for a little contrast. (Right now a lot of my stuff sounds too predictable I think...but ya gotta start somewhere.) Another thing that I think is totally underrated is a cool unexpected major-minor or major-minor move in a tune. On the lead playing side of things I am only now getting into that. There is so much I have to learn about that stuff that it is not even funny! Most of the time when I play these target songs now, I try to analyze stuff like: how the chords function together and scale choices for lead playing the composer made and stuff like that. I like to deconstruct these songs so I can recycle and steal I guess.

I teach K-12 Art and I like to think I am 2-d and 3-d artist. As I learn more about music I am fascinated by the parallels with "Chord" theory and "Color" theory. For example...a basic Triadic color relationship like Red, Yellow & Blue or Green, Purple & Orange is very much the visual equivalent of I, IV, V relationship in any key.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic