Busking CSN&Y

MarkM

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:19 pm

After reading everyones suggestions on this song from last week I decided to put some of that into practice (hopefully). I tried various placements of the Capo and singing higher and lower and after several (understatement) attempts I came up with this. I have the guitar plugged in this time so the vocals are a bit isolated. I'm still searching for the right tone out of the guitar when it's plugged in but this will have to do for now. I hope this comes across better than my first attempt on TG. Once again thanks for all your suggestions. I think it helped a little bit.

MarkM

Trying to clean up my version of Helplessly Hoping a bit and figured I'd start a new thread in the busking forum as there isn't one for CSN&Y

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

auntlynnie

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:39 pm

Wáy to go Mark!

So great of you to post it again!

And the capo on the second fret suits your voice indeed better than the first fret, and the third fret, did you try that too? You do have a very nice voice you know, so as for the singing (using Stills' voice) itself, (except for the véry first line of each phrase/verse, and 'goodbye, hello') you áctually got it! :cheer: Very good job!!

I also thought that the balance between your voice and the guitar was perfect, or maybe I was focussed on your singing, haha! :P

I liked the tempo of your first video though, but this one was more consistent, so another great job on that, really well done!

Thanks for sharing Mark, and you're so right, there hás to be a CSN&Y-thread! ;)

Cheers

Ness

BobR

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:08 pm

Mark,

Really well done!!!!! I think the tone out the guitar was real good and it sounds like having the capo on the second fret is your spot for this tune..

Thanks for posting

Bob

buddy

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:12 pm

Mark,

It is so cool to see you gaining confidence with your voice. The guitar sounds really clean here as well. It is nice to plug in so you can really balance the vocals and the guitar.

So Bravo my friend this is just wonderful,

Bud

jayswett

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Great version of this. I definitely think it suits you better with capo at 2nd fret. You look VERY comfortable singing and playing together.

Chasplaya

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Oh man was that nice. Your singing just gets better every time. Like Ness I thought the balance was just right between guitar and voice. Great progress mate.

regards

Chas

Have some cash Mr busker..

ceaser67

Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi Mark

That was really nice to listen to,i agree with others capo 2nd fret reaslly is youre tone on this one
well done great job

Youre scottish friend
Tommy

MarkM

Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Ness - Thanks!!! Yeah I tried the capo at the 3rd, 4th and 5th. Testing the waters to see what it sounded like. The 3rd was ok but I had to concentrate a bit more and wasn't sure if it was worth it. The 2nd seemed to fit more comfortably. Tough to follow any of the singers here but I guess I was shooting for Stills or rather just not any of the others.

Bob - Thank you!! I'm glad you liked it.

Buddy - Thanks. Seeing you belt them out pushes me a bit to see what I can and can't do. It's a big learning curve for me.

Jay - Thank you. I'm glad I looked comfortable. I guess I was to some extent. The playing just clickded a few days ago and once I knew I could sing (loose definition here) and play at the same time the worries went away. Funny how that works.

Chas - Thanks!! I'm glad it's not getting any worse. I can only go up from here. I'm glad the balance came through good on your end as I was trying to even out the levels between the vocals and the guitar.

Tommy - Thank you!!! I'm so happy you liked it.

MarkM

millponddave

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Mark, Nice job. I totally envy all of you guys that can fingerpick. My fingers simply refuse to work that way. Thank God for picks!

Dave

cosmicmechanic

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi Mark,

This is just sooo smooth, from start to finish, and the excellent video quality sure doesn't hurt, either.

I took for granted that Neil has a lesson up for this, was surprised to find he hasn't. But the lesson request already has over 40 votes, mine now included.

Great to hear your progress balancing cool fingerpicking with your vocals (sometimes less is more).

I could watch this over and over ... think I will.

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic