Busking Lou Reed

sws626

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:04 am

Thanks everyone.

Tommy, I'd originally planned to play this with a plectrum, but found that without separate microphones for guitar and vocals I couldn't bring myself to sing loud enough to balance the guitar. So the thumb strumming was just to tone down the guitar.

Vanessa, maybe I could sing it higher. I'm still working out what sort of range I might or might not really have.

-Stuart

lueders

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Stuart, I like Lou Reed a whole lot, wonderful songwriter but I would rather hear you or Cat Stevens sing Transformer any day. Sounded really nice.

RANDOM TANGENT: Have you ever thought about doing any Nick Drake songs? I know they are all weird tunings...and maybe that isn't your cup of tea. But I think the tonality of your voice would fit his stuff really, really nicely! I dunno just a thought.

sws626

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:52 am

"Femme Fatale." I've put it in the Lou Reed busking thread, though it was of course originally recorded by the Velvet Underground & Nico on their 1967 debut album (produced by Andy Warhol's with his banana on the cover).

My four year-old daughter thinks this song is about the Moomin character "Little My," and not about Edie Sedgwick. She sings it continuously, but substitutes "It's Little My" for "She's a femme fatale" in the chorus.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

daryl

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:37 am

Stuart, I haven't seen a post of yours in a while....but this one is extremely smooth with excellent dynamics and emotions. Your voice is smooth and mellow and is a very good fit for this song. BTW is that a Martin you're playing? What model? Sounds very nice.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:38 am

Great stuff Stuart, you have a great story telling style and feel to your vocals.

willem

Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:52 am

Really enjoyed this and i geuss that was your goal,,really fine Stuart.. B)

MarkM

Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Well done Stuart. It's great to see you back on here. Making up for lost time from what I can tell. I'll go watch the others now as well.

MarkM

RicksPick

Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:29 pm

Way to go Stuart

Nicely done
great tune

RicksPick

lueders

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Stuart, I really liked this. Even as much a genius a songwriter as I think Lou Reed...I would much rather hear you do it. I thought you did a great job! So cool to hear Lou Reed and even cooler to hear it done so well. :) :)

sws626

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:49 pm

Daryl: Yeah, I've been pre-occupied with work for a while, so not visiting as often as I'd like. The guitar is a Martin 000-28 EC (with prehistoric strings, as Chris noticed elsewhere).

Chris: I tried to persuade my daughter to sing with me; she has a much better voice for this song, but was feeling shy of the camera. Later she condescended to let me record an a capella version of one verse:

[video][/video]

Willem: Though it is really a very simple tune, I have come to enjoy playing it a lot. I thought of posting it to the "3 or 4 chord" busking thread, but it has 6 chords (or 7, if you count the C and Cmaj7 separately) and I haven't read enough of that thread to know how strictly the rules are enforced.

Mark: It feels good to be back. I didn't realize how much I'd missed you all.

RicksPick: Thanks. Glad you liked it.

lueders: That's very nice of you to say. I really like Nico's voice on the original, but can't hope to imitate her accent; I love Lou Reed, but he always seems a bit bored when singing these older songs -- not surprising after 45 years, I guess.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic