Busking Lou Reed

sws626

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:18 am

Willem recently poked me to play Perfect Day from Lou Reed's 1972 Transformer album.

I've capo'd up an extra half step from the original key to see whether I might be able to sing it. This is a slightly simplified version; I'd worked out a cool little interlude, but the frets are buzzing a bit above the 9th, so I left it out until I have a chance to get in to see a luthier.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

BobR

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:38 am

Stuart,

I hadn't heard that song before. I listened to your version and then off to YouTube to take a listen. You did a very good job. Your vocals sound really good on this tune.

Thanks for sharing

Bob

dennisg

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 am

Lou Reed's Transformer album is one of my all-time favorites, and I still listen to it. Great job on Perfect Day, one of the moodiest songs on the album.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:55 am

Nice job Stuart! i thought you played and sang that really well. There's a Cat Stevens quality in your voice.

willem

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:10 pm

Stuart,,your a man to my heart,,this song we play much on the friends/nights and divide the lines each two friends sing together two lines and in the chorus we blast out(all together ''OH ITS SUCH A PERFECT DAY and so on,,i saw and heard we play it like you(strumming),,it is a fun song when you speed it up a bit,,not so slow as the Lou Reed version,,pity was you could not do the interlude that gives something to the guitar playing,,,well friend maybe you gonna reap what you sow.....

Ps have you tryed without the capo,,it's just a half step lower then the orginail... or is that to low for you????

MarkM

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:45 pm

Stuart,

I'm not familiar with that song either but thought you played and sang that very well. I have to agree with Chris in that when you sing all I can think about is Cat Stevens. Very nice tone to your voice. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

sws626

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks Bob, Dennis, Chris, Willem & Mark. Glad you enjoyed it. Transformer is also one of my all time favorite albums. I'd never thought about playing this song until a week or so ago and am trying to embrace more spontaneity in my busking posts.

Willem, we should organize a big 'ol European TG festival in Amsterdam this summer. Sounds like you guys have been having a lot of fun. I did try without the capo (and several other variants), but I always ended up trying to sing the first part of the chorus too high.

Chris & Mark, As flattering as the comparison is, I can see I need to work on getting out of the Cat Stevens type cast. Unfortunately, I've just sent Jay a video for our collaboration on 'The Wind,' so I guess I'll have to live with it for now.

-Stuart

jimcjimc

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Hey Stuart,
I also wasn't familiar with that song - great job playing & singing. Keep them coming. And I won't mention that I also thought your voice sounds like that other singer.
Jim

willem

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:21 pm

oh its such a per-fect day ---- E -E -A -G# -G# -F# -F#(think this notes in the A chord)so find this melody notes on the 4 string second fret(E)(E)3 string second fret(A) 3 string first fret(G#)(G#)4 string fourth fret(F#)(F#) Oh its such a per-fect day....(not so high i think),,this explain is without a capo,,but the chords you play...

sws626

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:33 pm

willem wrote:
oh its such a per-fect day ---- E -E -A -G# -G# -F# -F#(think this notes in the A chord)so find this melody notes on the 4 string second fret(E)(E)3 string second fret(A) 3 string first fret(G#)(G#)4 string fourth fret(F#)(F#) Oh its such a per-fect day....(not so high i think),,this explain is without a capo,,but the chords you play...
Hi Willem,

Yes, I think that's right. The trouble I was having without the capo (or with the capo on the 1st fret) was that I'd always end up singing the first part of the chorus (sung over the A -> D -> C#m) an octave higher than the second part (sung over A -> E -> F#m -> D). And those notes an octave higher are definitely not in my range. Watching Neil's recent review of MarkM's 'Don't Let It Bring You Down' convinced me of this.

This way (capo on 2d fret), I don't get thrown off and start the first part (more or less) where I'm going to end up in the second part -- if that makes any sense.

-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic