Busking Lou Reed

willem

Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:44 pm

sws626 wrote:
willem wrote:
oh its such a per-fect day ---- E -E -A -G# -G# -F# -F#(think this notes in the A chord)so find this melody notes on the 4 string second fret(E)(E)3 string second fret(A) 3 string first fret(G#)(G#)4 string fourth fret(F#)(F#) Oh its such a per-fect day....(not so high i think),,this explain is without a capo,,but the chords you play...
Hi Willem,

Yes, I think that's right. The trouble I was having without the capo (or with the capo on the 1st fret) was that I'd always end up singing the first part of the chorus (sung over the A -> D -> C#m) an octave higher than the second part (sung over A -> E -> Fm -> D). And those notes an octave higher are definitely not in my range. Watching Neil's recent review of MarkM's 'Don't Let It Bring You Down' convinced me of this.

This way (capo on 2d fret), I don't get thrown off and start the first part (more or less) where I'm going to end up in the second part -- if that makes any sense.

-Stuart

Oh yes,,it make sence,,and i know this problem too,,, to add a octave higher,,when i spend time with Vanessa i had that problem also,, now i concentrate more and try not to make a very big jump.....

ceaser67

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:01 pm

Nice job on that stuart,enjoyed listening ti that.agree with chris about the cat stevens voice,
really good job

Youre scottish friend
Tommy

ffsooo3

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:17 pm

Very nice.

buddy

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Stuart,

This is really a pleasant performance !! I really like your smooth voice and the sound quality of the guitar is good as well. Hope to see more post from you in the future.

Bud

skaladar

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi Stuart ... very nicely done!

I wasn't familiar with this song either so I too made a trip to youtube just for a frame of reference, especially after your comments and discussion about the various keys you tried to prevent getting thrown off an octave. I gotta tell you I think you did a great job. Both the guitar and vocals sound very nice. You have an excellent voice that I don't really find Cat-ish :-)

I do have a question tho ... and this is not a criticism. I was wondering why you were playing with just your thumb? I do that at times myself but mostly just to severely control the volume. As in, someone is in the room with me and I want to practice some chord progressions without really being heard. At the beginning I was sort of expecting to see some finger picking and you did pick some runs with just your thumb so I just found it, erm ... different. Jeff Beck and Mark Knopfler play without a pick so if that is what your comfortable with you're in good company :-) ... Again, I am not critiquing, I'm just curious.

♫ Ken ♫

pbraun

Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Stuart, I also hadn't heard this song before but wow I thought you did great-and there are probably worst things in life than to be being stereotyped with a Cat Stevens like voice!

Keep em coming!
Pete

tombo1230

Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Well done Stuart,
I've always liked this tune. Your vocal was just right for this.

Tom N.

jimbo58

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:40 pm

Very very nice Stuart!

I especially liked the transitions from D to C#m, and from C#m, Bm to A, you réally got those down, very very good, I enjoyed it a lot!

As for your singing, you're doing great, I'd love to hear you sing a whole step higher tough (or maybe a half step), I'm positive that you can do it and even sound greater! ;)

Thanks for sharing,

cheers

Ness

Lavallee

Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Very smooth singing Stuart

Marc

michelew

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:27 am

Stuart,

I really enjoyed that.

thanks