Busking Guns n' Roses

tovo

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:15 pm

A song I just learned. Plus I'm reading Slash's book so it was on my mind. I had to compete with a pesky fly throughout!

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

michelew

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:34 pm

Tony,

Great job. It sounded really solid and smooth.

I really don't know this song, but I think it would sound even better if you transposed it to a lower key (so we can hear your silky smooth honey baritone) and put a bit more variation in your strumming. It was sounding very regular, a little too constant.

So it's already great, but I suspect it could be even a little better once you've taken on the great advice I expect you to get from the advanced members here.

Good job mate.

Shel

sbutler

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:57 pm

Well I still can't chew gum and walk at the same time, let alone sing and strum.

So I think your on the right track Tony. I think that fly just wanted you to take that hat off. That's all she was after.

Scott

neverfoundthetime

Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:02 pm

What stands out for me here Tony is your ever increasing ability to carry a song and tell a story. It's looking very easy and relaxed for you and your in a nice flow. I hadn't heard that before but it works really well for you. Great job again! Two in 24 hours. I can see you are building up for that open mic very nicely.

buddy

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:21 pm

Tony, I agree with Chris, you really seem to hitting your own stride. You did a really nice job on this. Michele gave you some really good advice as well to help move this along. You need a warrior hat for this song. Maybe even a cowboy hat :-)

Craig

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:28 pm

Tony,
Not familiar with the song but thought you did a nice job. I enjoyed it and I'm glad you posted it. Well done.
Craig

MarkM

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:55 pm

Tony,

That indeed showed some guts and you got the glory!!! I actually liked this better than the original amd your voice was very moving in this song. Great job on posting this song and sharing it with the group. The vocals are there as well as the chords. A few more run throughs and you'll be doing this in front of a bunch of happy people. I really enjoyed this one.

MarkM

haoli25

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:25 am

Tony, I really liked this video too. Your storytelling and playing were rock solid. I also enjoyed the cameos by the fly. It was good training for you. When you are playing under the bright lights, you will have lots of tiny winged livestock to contend with. :)

Bravo

Bill Image

tovo

Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:32 am

Hey Shel. As you know very well, I really value your opinion and considered intently what you wrote. I don't feel I should take this to a lower key, I felt comfortable with it, I really feel it is well in my (admittedly limited) range. It is a real rock tune, a bit of a screamer.

Your point on changing up the strumming however I take aboard absolutely. The way to make the tune much more interesting is a couple of really nice solos that I am not capable of right now unfortunately. Here is the tune by the man himself, with a great vocalist accompanying him. A few things here, he plays some great solos, he makes the Maton sound devine, and the whole vibe is really cool. Take a look:

Scott thanks mate. Yes the fly was very persistent!

Chris, thanks heaps. I am enjoying playing more than ever as I gain more experience. Yes a couple in quick succession but finished for a while now....back to practice!

Buddy cheers. No cowboy hat available unfortunately! :-)

Craig, it's a real cracking tune by a kick-ass rock band in my humble opinion. Axl Rose was/is a complex character but man, can he sing!

Mark that means a hell of a lot mate thanks. I know you are familiar with the tune so I'm very flattered that you liked it. Yeah a lot of run thoughs will sure help, this is one I would like to keep taking forward.

Bill as always mate, really appreciate your unwavering support. Yeah I figured I should push on despite the fly...all sorts of distractions aren't there?!

cosmicmechanic

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:25 am

Hi Tony,

I guess many descendants of Australopithecus must feel ashamed these days, but not because of the "Austral" part of his name ;) (wink to Australians like Tony).

Thanks for expressing, quite convincingly, a bit of our collective shame. YEAH Tony, that was such a cool performance, thumbs up !

And then the link to the acoustic version by Slash and Kennedy just knocked me over ... WOW !

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic