Busking Guns n' Roses

suziko

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:13 am

Tony,

2 in a weekend! Are the kids and wife away? :)

Firstly, I thought your intro sounded just great. Really clean flatpicking on that. Nice job. I agree with Den and Shel that you might want to try to vary up your strumming a bit throughout the song. I think you mostly do a steady D ddu throughout, which totally works, but probably at some places you could just hit the strings a bit more frequently to change it up a bit. maybe during the chorus? But you had a nice touch on your strumming. I remember that heavy strumming used to a be a real issue with you, and it just doesn't seem to be that way anymore.

Lastly, I'd REALLY like to see you interact with the camera a bit more. From seeing both this and your SoL video so close together, I noticed that you never (or almost never) look at the camera. You don't have to stare at it the whole time, but it'd be nice to see you look at us some. This is a powerful song, and I think more of that power would be conveyed with some periodic eye contact.

All in all, though, a really nice job. The fly was funny (though I'm sure not to you!!). It was trying to steal the limelight.

Suzi

dennisg

Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:02 am

Tony, very well done mate! :cheer:

Personally I wouldn't lower the key as well, you can do this just fine, you sang and told this really well!

I also REALLY agree with Suzi, please lóok at us here and there.... ;) ....no pressure.. :whistle: :P

Again, very good job, I enjoyed it a lot!

Ness

tovo

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Hey Den. I hear you all on the strumming. I'll experiment a bit with it to see if I can make it more interesting. Thanks to you.

Pete....might need one of those Slash style top hats eh! (not really) Thanks.

Al..I absolutely love Patience, but I doubt I could do it as well as you did. Perhaps you could put it in here? Thanks for the comment.

Bob thanks mate, appreciated.

Hey Suzi. No, Cindy and the kids are about...I was very indulgent this weekend. Again, I hear you guys on changing up the strumming. Your other suggestion is a good reminder. I understand how important it is for a performance to interact with the camera so thanks for pointing that out. I guess it's linked a bit to how well I know the tune. If like here it's new to me I spend more time trying to get it right than really performing it. Make sense? But all that said, note to self...look at the camera more. Thanks Suzi.

Ness thanks, I recall you are big on interacting during the performance and you do it so very well yourself. I'll try to take a leaf from your book next time although it will be a while now, I'm all out of tunes!

Music Junkie

Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:35 pm

Tony: Very nice cover. I loved both of the Use Your Illusion albums, and Civil War is one of the better songs. You really should have dressed it up with the intro that was taken from the old movie though.....What we've got here, is a failure to communicate....... :laugh:

Love how you are getting so comfortable and how your singing is getting more confident. I can't comment on the strumming, as I get stuck in certain patterns all the time.... ;)

Loved it green guy!

J

tovo

Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:46 pm

Hey MJ thanks man. I'm surprised that many members haven't heard the tune before. But I think it's like that with tunes we love, we can't believe that everyone else doesn't know and love them as well! :)

Varying the strumming is the strong message I am getting here, and the message has gotten through my thick head. I will work to dress the tune up by going for some variation.

Don't know if my fake Southern US accent would cut it among you native speakers though!

Lavallee

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi Tony, Really like this video. Your guitar playing sounds very good . Since I am not familiar with the song I can only appreciate your performance which I find very good, You seem to be playing with a good control. What I am more impressed with is your singing. You are getting out of your confidence level (compare to the previous videos) with great confidence (can it be said like that?). I like that you push your voice and the results is excellent.

Marc

lueders

Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:54 pm

tovo wrote:
[quote]Hey thanks a heap Cori. I was pretty pleased with the result here. Love the tune and I was a big Guns n' Roses fan, or more of a Slash fan actually. Shel beat me to the quiz answers...I knew Cool Hand Luke but don't know the name of the actor who uttered the famous "failure to communicate" lines. Who was it?

It Was Strothers Martin...please excuse my movie-nerd-ness. And, great job once a again. Cori

tovo

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Hey thanks Marc. One of the key reasons I wanted to busk that tune is that it's a song I felt I could let go with a little bit in terms of the singing. I'm real glad you picked that up. I always appreciate your thoughtful input. Merci.

Cori...Strothers Martin! Of course! ;) I'm a bit of a movie buff but didn't know that one at all.

AcousticAl

Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:56 pm

tovo wrote:
Al..I absolutely love Patience, but I doubt I could do it as well as you did. Perhaps you could put it in here? Thanks for the comment.
I might add 'Patience' at some point- but I'd probably re-do it. My brutal final note I did in my other upload is still ringing in my head.
:S

I also made that video BEFORE Neil put up his lesson. I haven't had a a chance to see it yet- but I'm sure there's some tips & tricks I can grab from it when I watch it.

tovo

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Al Neil's Patience lesson is very cool. He presents it as a series of transcribing puzzles to be worked through. Highly recommend it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic