Busking The Zombies

cosmicmechanic

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Dennis, for a moment there, you looked to me like a teenager skipping school and blasting away while his folks were out :laugh:

I especially like the bright percussive tone, kind of an electric guitar sound mixed in there. Your voice was way cool on this !

Just real fun, helps with the end of winter blahs, so I'd actually suggest using this version to get any lurking zombies to "snap out of it".
Hey, it worked on me: just what was it I was so grouchy about before listening to this ?

Also, letting a nice warm amp ring out after all that, quite an appropriate finale, can't help but smile !

Pierre

Lavallee

Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:11 pm

It seems like you just win at the lottery and you just had to scream it out. This is really good and fun. I really like the strumming pattern you got.

This is what guitar is about : having fun

Marc

snipe

Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:36 pm

Hey Dennis

That was reallllly good man!!!

Nice going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Craig

Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:02 am

Wow Dennis, that was great! When you say you're thinking about busking something, you're not kidding! :laugh: Your vocals were perfect for that song...the strumming was solid, the added riff made it perfect! I can't wait to hear your "Time of the Season".
Craig
P.S. I knew it was sunny is Seattle today! :laugh:

michelew

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:31 am

Dennis,

OMG!! OMG! OMG!

Awesome doesn't cut it. Friggin' awesome doesn't cut it.

F@@%$# AWESOME!! comes close.

Well you earned 'handsome hunk of guitar wizard' again with that one.

I loved it, loved it, LOVED IT.

Well that is just a great thing to come home from work to. You've captured the heart and soul of that song and demonstrated just what a showman you are again. Right down to the cheeky smile at the end. Loved the playing, loved the singing (very jealous), cool effects, great arrangement. What an inspiration you are.

Did I mention I loved it? I forget.

Shel

willem

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:52 am

After reading your intro i thought Zombies??,,while you play the intro my mind was hearting by trying to geuss it,,right on the moment you began to sing it was there,,oh it was so long a go but still somewhere in my brain...thanks Dennis you were great,

RicksPick

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:30 am

Dennis this has always been a fav song of mine

You stomped it totally
That was awww man got to listen again

Rick

RicksPick

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 am

Well I called the wife over to listen
Her jaw fell to the floor
Tina say tell him " that was awsome"

This has made me think, can I record the audio to put on my ipod???

RicksPick

dennisg

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:28 am

Stuart: Thanks so much. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to sing that song without rocking.

Chris: It's funny that the song is one that everybody knows, yet still is considered off the beaten path. By the way, thanks for starting these busking threads. It's good to have an outlet for songs that don't require two months to learn.

Tony: When you ask if that rasp is something I developed after my surgery, I'll assume you're not referring to my vasectomy. To be honest, that rasp is just my attempt at a soulful affectation. Really, this song is at both the upper and lower limits of what I laughingly refer to as a vocal range, and I think I may have wore out a capo sliding it up and down the neck a hundred times in order to find the one key I can actually shriek this song out in. Thanks for your enthusiasm, mate.

Bob: I've always found that this is one of those songs that sort of worms its way into your brain and hibernates for a time until it wakes up and dominates your thoughts for a couple of days. My wife and I went on a bike ride last weekend, and I found myself singing this song the entire way around Lake Sammamish.

Jim: Thanks. It's good to find a fellow zombie. We're the ones on the verge of receiving Medicare.

Buddy: Belting it out is pretty much the only way I can sing this song without blowing a gasket. Thanks for your kindness.

Ness: You're sweet! Thanks so much for your support.

Suzi: I'm not sure why, but that stuttered strumming pattern was there from the very first time I played the song. It just felt like an interesting counterpoint to smooth flow of the lyrics -- that sort of stop/start strumming while the vocal spackled in the gaps. The song is in Am, capoed up to 6, so I'm playing it in D#m... I think. As always, thanks for your support, here and elsewhere.

Lueders: You always have such nice things to say. Thanks so much.

Pierre: Sorry, I'm not buying it. I don't believe you have a grouchy bone in your body. I've always loved your comments on my (and everyone else's) songs, and anticipating what you might say is all part of the fun of recording a song.

Marc: I agree. That's what playing the guitar is all about and these busking threads are a great venue for knocking out a simple tune. Thanks for your kind words.

Mike: Thanks so much. It was a blast.

Craig: Hah! I'm pretty sure I won't be recording "Time of the season," even though I love the song. There's some overlapping vocals in there. But now you've got me thinking ...

Shel: When you resort to expressing yourself with ascii characters, I can tell you're pretty excited. Either that or you started typing with your fingers on the wrong row of keys. Thank you so much for your never-ending enthusiasm and friendship. I treasure both of them.

Willem: See what I mean? Everyone knows the song, but very few people can name the band that made it. Thanks for your kindness, Willem.

Rick: Thanks so much. I'm pretty sure that anyone who can play and sing at the same time could kick butt on this song, because the tune just lends itself to belting it out. Please pass along my thanks to Tina.

MarkM

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:02 am

Dennis,

What can I say that the others already haven't...... I'm just under 42 years old and this song even registers with me. It's one of many that has become apart of the fabric of our lives. Let me just say this about your song. I'm in a bit of a rut as I'm ($&*%Y#(*$ sick of winter and everything that goes with it (more on that later). I told my wife this morning it feels like the movie GroundHogs Day around here. Get up and out of bed, grab a cup of coffe, see how cold it is outside, up to the office and check email and then drift over to TG and see what's up there for a few minutes. Well you woke up this groiundhog this morning for sure!!!! My coffee even tastes better. It's still freaking cold but the sun is shining. Big smile from ear to ear. Thank you for sharing this killer performance with us Dennis. I've said it before and I'm sure I will again but you have a knack for coming up with some of the best songs that just surprise the heck out of me. Believe me there are several times a month where I'm thinking "Hmmmm I wonder what Dennis is working on now..........." Thanks for adding to the greatness of this site. You're one of the many reasons this place is so much fun...............................

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic