Busking Righteous Brothers

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:18 pm

You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling

PLEASE READ THE ADVISORY FIRST!

I know that this is completely out of line. Please feel free to turn away now and ignore this one and don’t think too badly of me. I hope I don’t piss too many folks off.

This is hardly one step away from a karaoke version of the most played song ever on the American airways. That was not my intention, it just happened this way. I used the backing track as my baseline as I often do when recording a song laying down the guitar part and the vocals. I am actually playing the 12 string to this but I just ended up blending most of it out to the extent that this doesn’t qualify as a genuine TG busking effort so it probably shouldn’t be here. But you can hear the guitar if you listen. I still consider my self a would-be singer holding a guitar. And I was practising using new recording/editing software and a new mic.

I wouldn’t blame anyone for calling this song Kitsch. It was Phil Specter’s first big hit and in his inimical style he throws the kitchen sink into the mix. And that was my problem. I so thoroughly enjoyed playing and singing along with all the glorious backing and vocals (it gave me goose bumps!), I didn’t have the heart to delete the backing track as I usually would. And it sounded so empty without. But I’ve haven’t been having a good week and just didn’t have the heart to pick up my guitar for days and when I did everything sounded crap. But doing this just blew me away and thoroughly lifted my spirits and I realised that this is just one more option we have of playing along and really getting something out of all the possibilities that You Tube and TG offer us lonesome, budding bedroom guitar heroes. There is no video to it as I’m not into hamming dramatic singing, its just audio. So I hope you’ll let this one by and accept it in the sense it was intended, sharing some form of inspiration with friends.

Craig

Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Chris,
Awesome vocals! I could hear the 12 string in parts. I'm most happy about this post lifting your spirits after a rough week... The awesome power of music! I appreciate your "advisory", but anyone who would get upset about this is missing the point of whats going on here in my opinion. We are all here to have fun and share and learn together...nothing more, nothing less. So, I say well done and thanks for sharing.
Glad your spirits are back where they belong! :)
Craig

buddy

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Chris, There you go breaking new ground, GOOOOOD FOR YOU !!!! I have said this before, but you have a naturally good voice, I know you work at it to but it comes out so natural. I really enjoyed this and it had me snapping my fingers. Hope this week is better than the last one and that you can regain that loving feeling.

Bud

AndyT

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:26 pm

Pa-shaw!

The whole reason to learn music is to better our lives. Sounds to me like its working. Keep it up!

funny tho... You don't LOOK like Bill Medley...

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:43 pm

Thanks Graig for listening in and for your ever kind comments! My spirits have certainly be lifted and I'm having fun sharing this monumental song with friends on what has been a glorious, sunny day here. Now it's way past bed time!

Thanks for dropping in, as always Buddy. This was breaking new ground for me to use a karaoke track and entwine my guitar playing and vocals with it and as end product. I'll be looking at some more songs where I can create myself a backing group and play along as it is is quite a blast. Great to have you come by!

Andy! Too right! My favourite comment on this was from Robert Fulgum (All I needed to Know I learned in Kindergarten) who reminds us of how ridiculous an idea it is to leave music and singing only to the professionals... we're all claiming our piece back! Thanks for moseying on by.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:48 pm

Chris.....

Well you know how I feel about your voice, it's just gorgeous! And for what it's worth, to me it's a gréat song, so when reading 'Busking the Rightous Brothers' made me listen to it immediately!

During the bridge and moving to the end of that section, I don't know, maybe it's that part of the song, maybe it's you telling us that you had a rough week, maybe it's me feeling a bit emotional myself, but it just gave me the góósebumps!

That was just great Chris....thank you very much for sharing, and yes I'm glad indeed that it lifted your spirits!

Ness

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi Vanessa. Thanks so much! I like it when you listen to my stuff, I really appreciate the sharing we can do here. Yeah, the bridge gets to you as it builds up, gave me goose bumps too. There is nothing like the "sehnsucht" of a gloriously melancholic song to make you whole again!

Sehnsucht (mhd. „sensuht“, als „krankheit des schmerzlichen verlangens“) ist ein inniges Verlangen nach einer Person oder Sache, die man liebt oder begehrt. ...

That says it even better than the English: Yearning, longing, wishfulness.

Lavallee

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi Chris, I think it is fabulous singing. You are getting those high notes with precision and volume. It is very entertaining. As for the format, there is not set format. As Craig said, it is all about having fun. Fun is good for us

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Merci Marc! This is a fun way to do things if releases creative energy, so I agree with you. I am never going to be as gung-ho on the guitar side of things compared with the vocal side of things... this brought it home to me. At the same time, I did enjoy getting some of the accompaniment sorted. Less is more sometimes.

...and Marc, and anyone else dropping by just now, get on over to listen to MarkM's Oh my Sweet Carolina.... just fabulous!

ffsooo3

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:45 pm

Hey Chris, That was fun! Sounds like you were really having a good time recording. I was hoping you might add the lower vocals too - you know a duet with yourself. Hopefully others will take your lead here.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic