Busking Righteous Brothers

dekotaj

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:07 am

BRAVO!!!Brother.BRAVO!!

neverfoundthetime

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:15 am

Thank you Kev!

Where you been? Missing your company here....

Chasplaya

Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:29 pm

G'Day Chris,I think you've probably got the 'feeling ' back after that and the support received here. You know some of the greatest music has been produced when someone is down in the dumps mostly Blues or ballads. This choice didn't surprise me that much, and you sang it beautifully as always mate. Tell more about your new recording gear mic etc...

dennisg

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Well, I don't think there are any TG rules for busking threads, so I'm pretty sure you haven't broken one.

Anyway, great vocals, Chris. You'll be happy to know that I sang the entire Bobby Hatfield harmony throughout the song.

By the way, I've done this song at karaoke a few times, and when I'm not getting blank stares from the slacker crowd, people mostly really like it. I suspect they'd love your version.

Just curious: "inimical" means harmful or injurious. Did you mean to say that about Phil Spector's production style?

neverfoundthetime

Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Grassy arse Chas ;-). I wonder if the blues inspiration is available without the pain price tag, that would be useful!

On the tech side, the mic is a Sennheiser MD 421 II of the type you can see Dylan singing into on stage with the Travelling Wilburys, if it's good enough for them, its good enough for me! Delivers good sound with complete irradiation of ambient sound. The software I mentioned before is Adobe Audition 3.0 which is just excellent and is slowly revealing its secrets to me. Makes great quality tracks and mixing is much better than in Audacity. The guitar sounded so much better fed directly into the computer with a mini jack adapter this time. The reverb and sound modification tools in Audition are really cool.

Dennis, you know I could just hear you singing Bobby Hatfield's part in my head as I was making the soundtrack. What a blast to be able to get that! I could hear Buddy and you on this doing a great job. Thanks for dropping in.
Just curious: "inimical" means harmful or injurious. Did you mean to say that about Phil Spector's production style?
No, I think I'm lost in translation there. I think he first started threatening people (like John Lennon) with revolvers later on in his career! I meant his unique, signature sound. Maybe there's a similar word somewhere and I've forgotten it ... or I'm confusing it with a German expression. I'm barely literate at times!

By the way, I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is a music therapist and composer and we were on the subject of the healing and therapeutic power of singing. There are some powerful and real effects of full blown, emotional singing. Very healing as I've mentioned before and I have heard this quality in voices at times as I mentioned to Buddy. What struck me is the different dimension to singing when you have such a powerful back drop and backing to sing with. I'd never been able to get through this song with just my own guitar backing before. With the full Monty in the background, it just took me two takes to belt it out in a way I have never managed before. Fascinating stuff. I now have an acoustic version but I have to adapt the singing a lot as I just can't keep it in tune with out that solid wall of sound behind me. Curious and fascinating.

suziko

Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:12 pm

Chris,

All I know is that if I sang as well as you, I'd do karaoke 24/7. That was a lot of fun and your voice sounded GREAT!! And sometimes when you're in a guitar-rut, it's good to try something completely different.

Suzi

BigBear

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Chris- I think this just clearly shows what a beautiful voice you have. This song is almost perfect for you.

Whether it's "klitschy" or not, I enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing my friend!! :cheer:

BobR

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi Chris,

I started to listen to this at lunch and was interrupted before I could comment. In any case I got to listen a second time and it was just as good, great in fact, I loved it.

Thanks for busking

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:11 pm

Many thanks for listening in Suzi, Rick and Bob and for your kind support. Oddly enough, I've never done karaoke before maybe because I often find the backing to be badly done but this backing is really excellent and just makes you feel your in the studio adding your part. Fun!

MarkM

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:59 pm

Chris,

Since I'm in the hotel room at the moment I listened to this with some headphones and I have to say this brought on goosebumps. You have such a gift to be able to sing like this. Apart from the fantastic quality of your voice the recording was superb. Very well done!!!!! Oh and you are a much better guitar player than you think. One more thing. I think it shows a great amount of talent when you can sing so many different artists songs. All of them at the same high level of ability that we've come to appreciate from you. I don't know what troubled you last week but I hope that the next one is much better. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic