Busking Ryan Adams

tombo1230

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Well done Mark. This is a great tune. Elton John covered it a while back.

Tom N.

suziko

Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Great job, Mark! I do know Ryan Adams (I remember the first time I heard his name mentioned on the radio, saying something along the lines of "RYAN Adams?? Don't they mean BRIAN Adams?" yes, I'm a child of the 80s), though I don't know much by him. I loved your version of this song, and thought your playing and singing was as good as it's ever been. Loved the intro especially, with those sweet hammer-ons. Dennis mentioned your "new Taylor." What kind is it?

Suzi

MarkM

Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:35 pm

Wow!!!! Thank you for all of the great responses. After my day I needed it. Long story short is that I got up at 4:30AM EST and flew to Nashville with a stop in Atlanta on the way. Between delays and having to circle Nashville for an hour in the back of the plane I got to my meeting and we had a tornado warning. I'm starving (just ordered room service) and exhausted. So my apologies for getting to your responses so late. Now on with the show while I wait for my food.

Chris - Thank you so much!! That meas alot. Yeah I like this style of music. Well at least my so called voice does from time to time. I'm glad you liked it.

Scott - Thank you!! I think it's getting crowded under this rock as not many people know who Ryan Adams is. I'm going to have to see what else he does.

Jay - Wow! Thank you. This song was a culmination of several skills that I've acquired but used them in a different manner for this song. I think what really helped me mostly on this song was the support from the people here that got me out of my comfort zone to try new things.

Vanessa - Thank you!! Yes just a few days but it's all I played for those few days. :laugh: :laugh: I still had to read the words from time to time.

Cori - Thanks!!! I'm glad you liked it. I'll take the flattery but Ryan's solo version of this song just hit me square in the chest on this one. I played it a bit differently to suit what I could do and what felt comfortable. I'll have to check more of his music out and that collaboration with Davie Rawlings. I usually don't listen to this type of music but find myself doing so more and more as I appreciate the songs/artistic nature of them.

Tony - Thank you!! I would have thought the same thing. I know Brian Adams but this???? It's funny as to what songs I'm more inclined ro sing better than others. What I've found is to try and make it my own instead of trying to sound like the original. I have to get the original vocals out of my head or in this case find a song that I never heard before which makes it easier.

Marc - Thanks!! Being relaxed or pretending to is really the key. As for the sound, I'm just recording it with the mic into Reaper with the vocals at the same time on a seperate mic.

Craig - Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you liked it. I can't wait for your next post!!!!!

Buddy - Thank you!! I take alot of inspiration from you and put caution to the wind and just try to belt it out. No guts no glory........

Pete - Thanks!!! I'm very happy that you liked it!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with for George Harrison week. Should be alot of fun.

Willem - Thank you!!!! We need to see more from you!!!

Mark - Thanks!! Yes I didn't really focus on any strum pattern here. Just played it by feel and the lyrics. I didn't want to complicate a pretty easy song.

Daryl - Thank you!! Just think what I could have done if I knew anything about Reaper like you do. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Michele - Thanks!! You make me laugh!!!! Gushed........ Ha. Well that has never been used in one of my videos. I'm glad your the first. Big smiles over here!!!!!

Ken - Thanks!!!! I'm happy you liked it. Maybe I just turned TG on to this guy. I'd be curious to hear what Neil thinks of him.

Pierre - Thank you my French Canadian friend!!! I try to add something a bit different to each song I post. In this one I had a hard time keeping the tempo so I just played it by feel. Since I didn't have to worry about a band it didn't really matter. I'm glad you liked it. This one needs a womens voice added to the chorus.

Bob - Thank you!!! We need to see another Bob post!!!!!

Beaker - Thank you sir!!!! Much appreciated!!

Dennis - Holy smokes I got a Holy Cow!!!!!! Thank you so very much. It means a great deal Dennis!!!

Tom - Thank you!! Yeah I noticed the Elton version on Youtube and knew I must be on to a good song when I saw that he covered it. That doesn't happen every day.

Suzi - Thank you very much!!! I was confused as well. I bought this guitar back in October I think. I had the DN8 but wanted something a bit different and looked at the GA style to give me something a bit more refined for fingerpicking (funny that I used it on this song though). It is a Taylor 714 Limited. This one has a sitka top and madagascar back and sides. Really has a sweet tone to it and plays like a dread for fingerpicking and strumming. I actually intended to use the drednaught for this song but kept coming back to this guitar because I like the tone better with the lighter strumming and picking. I can't speak highly enough about this guitar. I just love it and wish I had it now as I'm in my hotel room waiting for my food.

Ah..........whew.................done. Now I can go check all of your recent uploads and the new George Harrison lesson. Thanks again everyone!!!!

MarkM

Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:35 pm

Wow!!!! Thank you for all of the great responses. After my day I needed it. Long story short is that I got up at 4:30AM EST and flew to Nashville with a stop in Atlanta on the way. Between delays and having to circle Nashville for an hour in the back of the plane I got to my meeting and we had a tornado warning. I'm starving (just ordered room service) and exhausted. So my apologies for getting to your responses so late. Now on with the show while I wait for my food.

Chris - Thank you so much!! That meas alot. Yeah I like this style of music. Well at least my so called voice does from time to time. I'm glad you liked it.

Scott - Thank you!! I think it's getting crowded under this rock as not many people know who Ryan Adams is. I'm going to have to see what else he does.

Jay - Wow! Thank you. This song was a culmination of several skills that I've acquired but used them in a different manner for this song. I think what really helped me mostly on this song was the support from the people here that got me out of my comfort zone to try new things.

Vanessa - Thank you!! Yes just a few days but it's all I played for those few days. :laugh: :laugh: I still had to read the words from time to time.

Cori - Thanks!!! I'm glad you liked it. I'll take the flattery but Ryan's solo version of this song just hit me square in the chest on this one. I played it a bit differently to suit what I could do and what felt comfortable. I'll have to check more of his music out and that collaboration with Davie Rawlings. I usually don't listen to this type of music but find myself doing so more and more as I appreciate the songs/artistic nature of them.

Tony - Thank you!! I would have thought the same thing. I know Brian Adams but this???? It's funny as to what songs I'm more inclined ro sing better than others. What I've found is to try and make it my own instead of trying to sound like the original. I have to get the original vocals out of my head or in this case find a song that I never heard before which makes it easier.

Marc - Thanks!! Being relaxed or pretending to is really the key. As for the sound, I'm just recording it with the mic into Reaper with the vocals at the same time on a seperate mic.

Craig - Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you liked it. I can't wait for your next post!!!!!

Buddy - Thank you!! I take alot of inspiration from you and put caution to the wind and just try to belt it out. No guts no glory........

Pete - Thanks!!! I'm very happy that you liked it!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with for George Harrison week. Should be alot of fun.

Willem - Thank you!!!! We need to see more from you!!!

Mark - Thanks!! Yes I didn't really focus on any strum pattern here. Just played it by feel and the lyrics. I didn't want to complicate a pretty easy song.

Daryl - Thank you!! Just think what I could have done if I knew anything about Reaper like you do. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Michele - Thanks!! You make me laugh!!!! Gushed........ Ha. Well that has never been used in one of my videos. I'm glad your the first. Big smiles over here!!!!!

Ken - Thanks!!!! I'm happy you liked it. Maybe I just turned TG on to this guy. I'd be curious to hear what Neil thinks of him.

Pierre - Thank you my French Canadian friend!!! I try to add something a bit different to each song I post. In this one I had a hard time keeping the tempo so I just played it by feel. Since I didn't have to worry about a band it didn't really matter. I'm glad you liked it. This one needs a womens voice added to the chorus.

Bob - Thank you!!! We need to see another Bob post!!!!!

Beaker - Thank you sir!!!! Much appreciated!!

Dennis - Holy smokes I got a Holy Cow!!!!!! Thank you so very much. It means a great deal Dennis!!!

Tom - Thank you!! Yeah I noticed the Elton version on Youtube and knew I must be on to a good song when I saw that he covered it. That doesn't happen every day.

Suzi - Thank you very much!!! I was confused as well. I bought this guitar back in October I think. I had the DN8 but wanted something a bit different and looked at the GA style to give me something a bit more refined for fingerpicking (funny that I used it on this song though). It is a Taylor 714 Limited. This one has a sitka top and madagascar back and sides. Really has a sweet tone to it and plays like a dread for fingerpicking and strumming. I actually intended to use the drednaught for this song but kept coming back to this guitar because I like the tone better with the lighter strumming and picking. I can't speak highly enough about this guitar. I just love it and wish I had it now as I'm in my hotel room waiting for my food.

Ah..........whew.................done. Now I can go check all of your recent uploads and the new George Harrison lesson. Thanks again everyone!!!!

BigBear

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Mark- I'm way late telling you what a terrific performance on this song! Well done!!

Your voice sounded great, perfect for this song and your guitar work was minimalistic. Just enough to support your vocals but not enough to detract from the song.

I don't know Ryan Adams either but I liked your performance so much I listened to it all the way thru twice, and I rarely do that!

Well, this just proves that if the fish aren't biting you can always make a living at the corner coffee shop busking great songs like this! Really well done my friend!

:cheer:

totsyboy

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:10 pm

My 2 cents: great job! I concur w/ lueders that RA is hit or miss with me, but he is an unquestionably great songwriter. I think you actually brought new life to this tune, and I like your performance better than the various Ryan Adams versions I've seen, in which the guitar is barely audible and the pace is too slow for my tastes. Now if you can only get EmmyLou Harris to join you for the harmonies...

tb

totsyboy

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:13 pm

My 2 cents: great job! I concur w/ lueders that RA is hit or miss with me, but he is an unquestionably great songwriter. I think you actually brought new life to this tune, and I like your performance better than the various Ryan Adams versions I've seen, in which the guitar is barely audible and the pace is too slow for my tastes. Now if you can only get EmmyLou Harris to join you for the harmonies...

tb

MarkM

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:53 am

Rick - Thank you!!! Long time no see. I hope all is well with you. Still about a month away before I can my waders wet. I'm glad you liked the song.

TB - Thank you as well!!! My chord structure is the same and you are correct in that it is a bit faster. I'm glad you liked it. Yes it would be great to have a womens vocal on this song as well. Maybe someday I'll get to collaborate on this one.

MarkM

rapsidy

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:12 am

great job mark.. Ryan Adams has another great song called "when the stars go blue" which you might want to check out..???

Brad

MarkM

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks Brad!! Yes I'll go check that song out now. I'm finding quite a few diamonds in the ruff with this guy.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic