Busking Ryan Adams

MarkM

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:19 pm

So last week I'm crawling around the web and I came across this song. It literally stopped me in my tracks and just grabbed me. I guess I've been living under a rock because I hadn't heard of Ryan Adams before but I'm so glad I did. I didn't do this justice but after a few days this is what I came up with. I hope you like it. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Oh the song is called "Oh My Sweet Carolina"

MarkM

I came across this song last week and it just grabbed me in a way that I haven't felt in a long time about a song. My version does not do the original justice but here it is.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Mark this is just GREAT! From the first note you had me. And your vocals are so good on this song, you really take hold of it. I just love the whole shabang here, the sound of your playing, the feel of the song, your voice, the vibe and the attitude... just first class.
Thanks for posting. I think you have found your style here. (why do I have Lou Reed in the back of my head right now?) I'm off to listen again!

sbutler

Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Me and you under the same rock dude. I've never heard of him either. So not having anything to compare your rendition too, I'd say its great.

Scott

jayswett

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:27 pm

That was just incredible. Your best video yet. Everything about that performance was just right. Congratulations on putting together a video that demonstrates very clearly whey Totally Guitars is such a great website for learning to play this instrument.

pbraun

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:31 pm

I'm with the others Mark! :)

The song suits you very very well! And only been playing it for a couple of days? Gosh, wáy to go! :cheer:

And I dó think you did the song justice, so no suggestions here, you just did great, really! I enjoyed it very much!

Ness

lueders

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:55 pm

I always look forward to your videos because I can always count on a nice: folkie-tinged, down home, laid back, front porch, sooth-your-rattled mind kinda vibe. This was no exception!!! This was just amazingly well done.

I'm usually hit or miss with Ryan Adams...but he sure wrote a beauty here. I sincerely like the way you did it better than Ryan though.

Some of the picking looks a little tricky in places and you handled it quite well. Your singing keeps getting better and better too. I thought this was an excellent post from you.

Also have you heard some of the stuff Ryan Adams did with David Rawlings. (The dude that usually plays with Gillian Welch.) What I've heard of their collaborative stuff is pretty darn good...you might like it.

tovo

Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:10 pm

Mark I am in the "never heard of him" club as well. Actually I thought it was going to be "Summer of 69" and you had gotten Bryan and Ryan mixed up!

Anyway, it was really, really good. I agree you have found your style. Your last 2 videos have shown huge improvement in your vocals. My theory is that it's all about picking tunes that suit you. I didn't invent the theory, but I subscribe to it. We might not know how to do it, but when you find a tune that suits you know it.

I loved your playing as well of course, but right now I think your big gains are coming with your voice.

Good stuff.

Lavallee

Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Mark, I am not sure what have changed but your guitar sounds like it is coming from a cd . It has that clarity that makes the difference, your playing was just perfect. Your singing is great, just relaxed, going with the flow.

Excellent performance
Marc

Craig

Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:47 pm

Mark,
I'm with Tony, I thought it was a typo for Bryan at first! :laugh: Great job. That guitar of yours sounded better than ever. Nice hammer-ons, you definately have a nice feel for this song. I really enjoyed it. The song really fits your style. Great post.
Craig

buddy

Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Mark, Hearing you play and sing this song I could tell that you really fell for it. I always enjoy your posts but this one is your best so far. Both the playing and singing are great !!!! You seem to have hit a whole new level with your playing and singing.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic