Busking Leo Kottke

rplunkett142r

Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:18 pm

David,

Another one I would like to see a lesson on would be Arms of Mary, mainly because Leo did it on a six string, and iit is such a beautiful song. So many of his songs really only sound good on a 12 string (Crow River Waltz is a good example of that) so it would reach a larger audience here at TG. I didn't learn the song from the Hanson book, but I do have that book and it is very good. He is a very good teacher...Regards, Bob

AcousticAl

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:53 am

"Please Bob, can I have some more??"

Question about fingerpicking a 12--
Are you picking the strings in pairs (ie. both 6th & 12th E strings at the same time)? Or do you narrow right in and get single strings?
I've never tried fingerpicking a 12.

Looking forward to more videos from you!

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Very difficult to pick a single string on a 12 Al. You usually hit the pair. Usually it's difficult to get clean bass notes.

jayswett

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:30 am

That was incredible. Another video from you in the near future would be great to see. Well done.

rplunkett142r

Tue May 24, 2011 10:24 am

Al,

Sorry it took so long to get back on this...i am busy working on some more songs! You pick the strings in pairs...on a song like this, Leo actually constructed the song so that the octave strings are picked first to accent them in some sections of the song rather than the strings that are regularly tuned on a 12 string guitar. It is frightening that Leo actually knows enough about the instrument to do that! He has often said that next to a pipe organ, the 12 string guitar has the most majestic sound. Thanks for the kind words, and I am working on something a little different for my next post...hope to finish it soon (if my fingers cooperate!) Regards, Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic