Busking Leo Kottke

rplunkett142r

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement...they are genuinely appreciated. I am a little surprised that some of you did not know Leo or any of his work, but then
he has never been in the mainstream. Many people consider him to be among the finest guitarists ever, and he pretty much owns the 12 string category. Even though he has
been recording for over 40 years, I still think his first release "6 & 12 String Guitar" to be his best. When he was in his early years, his fingerpicking was so fast and intense that
he actually deformed his hand and could not play for a few years! So he reinvented his style, and is still with us today, recording and performing. If you ever get the chance to
see him I would urge you to do so. The guitar plating is first rate...it is just him and a six and a 12 string guitar, but he tells stories that are so funny, he could be a stand up comedian
as well. I am chipping away at some of his other songs, but for me, learning on the guitar takes a lot of time, but it is a labor of love. Thanks again...Bob

rplunkett142r

Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:56 am

Tovo...it was recorded using a GuitarPort from Line 6 as the interface to the computer. It was pretty clean, was a pretty fair dose of reverb and a little chorus if I remember right.

tovo

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:09 pm

rplunkett142r wrote:
Tovo...it was recorded using a GuitarPort from Line 6 as the interface to the computer. It was pretty clean, was a pretty fair dose of reverb and a little chorus if I remember right.
Thanks mate. Sounded great. After your description of the artist I feel somewhat embarrassed that I don't know him, but I've never even heard his name. I'll check him out thanks to you.

BobR

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:37 am

I am just getting to this and I must say I really enjoyed it. I have heard of Leo Kottke but never actually heard anything. I will have to check it out now.

Thanks for a real nice post.

Bob

rplunkett142r

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Bob,

I would suggest starting at the beginning with Leo Kottke - The Driving Of The Year Nail, which I think was the first song on his first album. There is a version on YouTube from an old show in England called "Guitar Heros" from the early seventies, when Leo was at the top of his game. The fingerpicking? Yikes!!! Other favorites are Vaseline Machine Gun, Busted Bicycle and Arms of Mary...so many good tunes. If you like Chet Atkins (who doesn't) there is an excellent version of Sleepwalk with Leo and Chet playing together that is just amazing! Regards, Bob

waggis

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Nice job RPlunkett142r

Leo is one of my favorite guitarist and I am still waiting on Neil to put a lesson on Leo's verison of The Last Steam Engine Train. Your post might put some preasure on Niel to put up another lesson. Did you learn that song from Mark Hanson's book? Unfortunatly, Leo doesn't tour Europe very often or I would go see him play more often, as he has a very peculiar sense of humor.

cheers
David

juanlla

Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:19 pm

Bravo Sir !!!
Nice Fingerpicking & Slides and gently played.

Thanks for posting, and I bet there's gonna be quite a few more comming soon.

Juan

cosmicmechanic

Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:55 pm

That sounded so cool ... I also mean a vibe "cool" enough to bring some relief during a heat wave (Bring on summer !).

Thanks for sharing,
Pierre

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:00 am

Great post Bob! Excellent work and great to hear a 12 string!
Chris

BigBear

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:28 pm

WOW! Really nicely done! I know Leo well but I don't recall this song. Just enchanting! Excellent fingerpicking!!

For you guys and gals who don't know Leo Kottke, you need to. He is probably the preeminent 12 string guitarist of the last 30 years. I believe Taylor's first Signature model was their Leo Kottke 12 string. Leo is most famous for tuning his guitar down at least one step, often more, to get a really loose, jangly sound. Phenomenal fingerstylist that only occasionally does vocals. If you listen to his music you will know why! lol!

Bob, thanks so much for sharing that beautiful piece. I really enjoyed your performance! And welcome to the TARGET program. Great first video! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic