Busking Dan Fogelberg

AndyT

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:13 pm

YIKES! I wish my wife had told me to brush my hair BEFORE I shot this vid instead of after. LOL

I remember this song when I was growing up. It was one of those that gets into your blood and stays there.

I gave up on it quite some time ago because it is such a tough fingerstyle piece.

I tried it again today after coming across it in one of my songbooks. This is after maybe half a dozen times thru to find alternate fingering for some of the strange chords it has. Consider this a 'Campfire' version.

The sound may not be synched correctly, but I just wanted to get SOMEthing posted... On second thought... Just close your eyes and watch it, I'm sure that will make it sound better. LOL

Feel free to comment on it. Just don't blame my barber for the sound.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

AndyT

Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:19 am

Something did not work.
Ok, I fixed it. I changed the URL to my YouTube page. Something happened to it when I tried to post it thru TG.

It sounded SO much better before the camera got turned on.

After watching this, I'm almost ashamed to leave it posted. I'm really suffering from camera phobia. And thats really weird because I play in front of people all the time. What is it about a camera that causes me to lose it? Hmmm... I'll have to cogitate on that one.

RicksPick

Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:56 am

What a lovely song, I didnt know this one
Checked it out now, so thanks for that Andy
Glad something clicked for you, hope you persevere with it
Singing too sounds good
Maybe an update soon
Good to see you uploading mate

RicksPick

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:29 am

Hi Andy thanks for posting a Dan Fogelberg song. Sounds just fine! The playing live is easier than playing for the camera I think as you know everything is being captured and can be scrutinised. When you play live a mistake is quickly passed over and gone and is no big deal. When it's recorded its there to haunt you forever ;-). Have you tried practising in front of the camera? Try that and just keep the best take. This song will shape up really well so keep it going!

ffsooo3

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:34 am

Andy, Rather than using your 1st and 2nd fingers on that "funny" chord starting at 0:59 try using your 3rd and 4th fingers. It will then be easier to transition to the Am.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:21 am

Hi Andy,

Please don't fret over this video's imperfections ... you are among friends here :)

I've appreciated this song for a long time, and you had me grinning when you did get a synch between melody and voice.

I think you must be capable of some cool harmonies when camera nerves are out of the equation. The fretting on this song does jump over a wide span.

Playing with a camera on is definitely not second nature to me, either, and they tell me that the only way to improve on that is to do what you are doing in this video.

It's great to see you give a "head's up". Hope you do more !

Pierre

willem

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:02 am

Hi Andy,, i know when that holywood thing is turned on the nerves begin,,even the tapping foot is shaking,,i think you can nail that nice song(is it a lesson here?,,i lose track),,well done my friend,,well i mean to give us that show ,,for me a other distracksion grrrrr,,bits bits bits,,but i think i return with both feets on the ground,,keep them coming..

jayswett

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:52 am

I haven't heard this song before, but I am guessing the tempo on the original is slower than what you are playing. Even if it isn't, though, you might try to slow it down to allow more time to reach the chords up and down the neck more reliably. I noted that you added "first attemp" to the heading, so I hope that means that you will be posting a followup video.

jayswett

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:52 am

I haven't heard this song before, but I am guessing the tempo on the original is slower than what you are playing. Even if it isn't, though, you might try to slow it down to allow more time to reach the chords up and down the neck more reliably. I noted that you added "first attemp" to the heading, so I hope that means that you will be posting a followup video.

MarkM

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:56 am

Andy,

Great to see another video from you!! Yeah the camera can play tricks with you mind. Once you tune it out it's off to the races. Thanks for posting this song. I had completely forgotten about this song. It would be a great lesson. I think you are well on your way with this. Come back and show us your progress as you continue with this.

MarkiM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic