Busking Dan Fogelberg

BobR

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:29 am

Hi Andy,

I hadn't heard this song in a while and I am glad you posted it even if you got the camera jitters. I will be looking forward to your next take.

Bob

AndyT

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Al,
I don't know about you, but imagining the camera with it's guts hanging out really doesn't do it for me. I'm just not into silicon.

Anton,
Always good to hear from you. I'm looking forward to your next video.

Pete,
I've played in front of hundreds and not missed a lick, but that stupid camera gets me every time. I'm just going to have to start filming everything I do I guess. Maybe that will help like everyone suggests.

Bob,
Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for the update. I've been putting in a bit of time on this one. I really want to do this one the 'original' way. Usually I don't worry about it and play my own versions, but this time...

lueders

Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:52 pm

Sounding good, Andy! I think I agree with Jay. Is it me or are your chord changes a hair quick in places? (Maybe the aforementioned camera jitters...I certainly feel your pain with the camera pressure.) You've definitely got a voice for this tune. I hope you post this song again sometime soon. It sounds like it is headed in the right direction for sure!

Cori

BigBear

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:35 am

Andy- you've almost got it nailed! Don't sweat all the other stuff!

If I can make a suggestion, your strumming pattern is WAY too aggressive for this song. This song I know well and the tempo is much slower and the "touch" much more delicate. Maybe try a softer down-stroke on the first beat of the measure and then some really light brush strokes on the middle strings on the rest of the beats. You absolutely can't use full 6 note strums for this song. The first and third beats of the measure get emphasis and the other beats are really light.

When you get braver this is also a great song to chord solo or even pick out a little melody line. It's also a fun song to accompany with a little lead at the upper frets due to its smooth, slow and steady pace.

Thanks for posting this Andy and hope you had a great Easter!

:cheer:

AndyT

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:12 am

Cori,
I'm sure you are correct. I need to do some metronome work on this one yet.

Bear,
I was wondering if you had fallen asleep again. It may only be April, but summers a comin!
Yeah, I know it was not the right way to play it but I was just trying to get the feel of it down and clean it up later. I am working it much slower now though.

dekotaj

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:28 am

Bravo!!Sir.Bravo!

Just love the songs of Dan Fogelberg.Good job,Look forward to the next one.

Thanks
Kevin

dennisg

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:41 am

This song is one of my faves from the '70s, and I'm sure I wore out the vinyl a few times.

Hey, aren't camera jitters the pits? The only way to get over them is to keep at it, keep your brain focused on the task at hand, and do what you know you can do. This is a beautiful song and I'd love to see what you can do with it when you're not fighting the jitters.

Music Junkie

Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Andy:

Great choice for a song to attempt. I have a great TAB for the the fingerpicking version (probably the same you mentioned - open G I believe). I have full intentions of tackling this song one day, but I have long way to go before I can do it.....

Not only is my playing not good enough, but the camera jitters are paralyzing for me still.... :unsure:

I do the same thing with these songs though and will strum through them to get the feel before taking on the fingerpicking versions. It is hard to find proper strum patterns for fingerpicking songs sometimes. I was just messing with Age by Jim Croce last night and had the same problem. The picking pattern on that song is difficult for me as well, so I was strumming away and just could not get the sound I wanted out of it.

Keep up the work, as you have a great start so far. I would agree that the tempo needs to be slowed down a bit, but the chords sounded good. The changes will become more and more smooth as you continue with it, so no worries there.

Enjoy the journey on this great Fogelberg song, and I can't wait to see the next installment...... B)

AndyT

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:25 am

Kevin and Dennis,
I'm working on it. I really want this one to sound 'right' so I'm putting in some time on it.
Thanks for the comments!

Jason,
I have one in Open G, Melody in standard, Pattern pick in standard and rhythm in standard.
I'd play the open G as its much easier, but I'm too lazy to retune my guitar. LOL

Music Junkie

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:26 am

AndyT wrote:
Jason,
I have one in Open G, Melody in standard, Pattern pick in standard and rhythm in standard.
I'd play the open G as its much easier, but I'm too lazy to retune my guitar. LOL[/size]
I am right there with you Andy. I really do not like to change tunings, mostly out of laziness, so it can be a bit limiting on the songs from time to time. Although, I have recently found a few very fun songs in DADGAD and one in Open D (almost DADGAD with the exception of the F# instead of G) that have got me thinking..... ;)

For now I keep my Martin in DADGAD and my Taylor in Standard and switch back and forth. Now I just need one for Drop D, Double Drop D, Open G, Open E, half step below standard and whole step below standard..... The world will be well when I get there...... Then I would wake up....... :woohoo:

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic