Busking Decemberists

jimbo58

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:49 pm

You guys looked to be having sooo much fun!
And...... I had sooo much fun watching it!
how good is that, how good are you guys, you are what make music fun.
please more...... please

Hydroman52

Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:23 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the support . . . you’re all to kind. I’ve been a bit busy getting Buddy in the Box up to speed for our next session. Ironically, the mailgirl delivered my King is Dead CD today, and I am listening for the first time as I type this. It looks like there are a few of you that might want a Buddy in the Box of your own, so I will explain further after I give proper thanks to everyone. You could take this time to get the latest download of Java here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

You will need it. That is your first clue. Okay, here we go . . . . . .

Vanessa, Getting compliments from you is very very very treasured. From someone as skilled and talented as you, it means a lot to us. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you, and thank-you!

Buddy, Ditto what I said to Vanessa. And I want to make it clear that we didn’t name our new drummer after you. He can be quite cantankerous, and I don’t think that describes you.

Cori, Our FIB (Friendly Illinois Brethren) to the south. Hey, I was a FIB once. I lived in a suburb just west of Chicago. My Wisconsin relatives kept reminding me that that’s the worst kind of FIB that there is . . . . . . go figure. Just for the record, you’re welcome in my state anytime no matter what everyone else in Wisconsin (except Suzi) thinks. Thanks for your support.

Suzi, I would be flattered if you stole anything from me . . . . er . . . . . . except maybe my truck. I still need that. Oh, and the dog . . . he goes with the truck. Jerry will be happy to hear the compliments on the singing and harp playing. He completes the song. Yes, we are working on Calamity. Oh, and it’s okay to call Cori a FIB, now. We’ve got all that squared away (see above).

A slight pause here to apologize to the rest of the TG community for going on with the Cheesehead/FIB humor. I think it may have started as a football rivalry thing too long ago to remember anymore (Wisconsin=Green Bay Packers=Cheeseheads . . . . Illinois=Chicago Bears=FIBs) and it’s supposed to be like oil and water, cats and dogs, fire and rain . . . . they just aren’t supposed to mix. But we do. I’m sure none of that goes on in the rest of the world.

Bob, You hit the nail on the head. This much fun should either be against the law or heavily taxed by some government agency.

Marc, You CAN play like that today. I’m not doing much. Jerry and Buddy are doing all the work. Thanks for watching.

Craig, Thanks for the support. Glad you liked it. Keep on those surfer songs!

Andy, You got it! I’m never ready to start a song. Just go for it and the fun begins. Thanks for watching! And thanks for the Hawaiian lesson, too.

Willem, It’s funny you should ask about the band’s name. When Jerry and I got together last year, one of the first things we talked about was names of bands. Jerry said he always thought a great name would be Fat Acrobat. Of course, I liked it instantly, because it’s such an oxymoron. As Jerry put it . . . . . have you ever seen a fat acrobat? Right there we figured that we had to start a band just so this great name wouldn’t go to waste. So, thanks for asking . . . . we are Fat Acrobats.

Daryl, I had a hunch that you might ask about the drum program. Thanks for watching and commenting. I will get to the drum program information as quickly as I can. Hopefully, right after I thank everyone. If I can’t get right to it, I will follow up later in this thread.

Mark, The Dude . . . . the heatndude. You are right, we ran through this when we were all at the Green Lake jam session. It was in its infancy then. Needed a bit of work, but that’s what jam sessions are for . . . . work out the rough edges and get the creative juices flowing. We’ve been working on the Last Dance song, too. I think we have a drum track roughed out for that one now, too. I’ll have to check the list. We’re looking forward to getting together with you again soon.

MarkM, Hey, thanks for the good words. You actually listened more than once, and played along, too? Now I’m really feeling good about it. I’ll be letting you know about the drum program shortly. Stay tuned.

Mike, Thank-you for the support. We did seem to get into a groove or something. Jerry has performed on stage before, and he said that’s what it’s like when things sound right . . . . . . minus the crowd and applause, of course.

Michele, We’re very happy that you liked it waaaaaaaaaaay over there across the really big pond. Supernatural occurrences are not an uncommon thing with me. The other day, I was trying to balance my checkbook and I immediately began channeling an idiot. Thanks for the nice comment.

Scott, I thought AK was still part of the States . . . .my mistake. Sheez, I’d better update my passport. Actually, you are probably closer to this band than me. They are out of the Oregon area. They have been on my RADAR for a few years, but I think this is their break-out album for me. Thanks for the kind word from the real “up north”.

Rick, We’ve succeeded! Our goal was to rock you. Thank-you.

Jay, So much said in so few words. Thank-you or all of them.

Jimbo, Thanks for the kind words. Happy you enjoyed it. I must say that I have spent a lot of time getting to this point and still have a looooonnng way to go. But I also must say that being a member of this site makes it so much easier getting over the hurtles that stand in the way of progressing. That helps to put the fun into it, too.

Now for the next bit of drumbox information . . . . . after this disclaimer. I cannot vouch for the integrity of the programs that I am using (they are free), so download and use at your own risk. If you have problems with them, I will probably not be able to help anymore than the instructions that come with them. I had been casually looking for a drum program for a while but most of what I was running into was the DJ drum loopers that only allowed you to program and loop a few measures for repetitious on-and-on-and-on-and-over-and-over again stuff. Good for teenies looking to burn off energy (been there, done that). Then I stumbled onto this sleek little program. I am running Windows XP, so I don’t know how/if it runs under other environments (Apple, Linux, etc.). It runs on top of Java code, so you should download/update Java at the link at the beginning of this post before you go onto the next step. Then Google “jamspace drumboxng”. The site should be the first result at the top (should have “tools” in the link). If you are at the correct link and you have the latest Java installed, the WEB based drum program (DrumboxNG) should begin running within the WEB window. You could run it like this (within your WEB browser), however, you can run the program offline by clicking on the link labeled “Break out of the browser!”. This should download a Java app to your computer and put an icon on your desktop. That’s it. The rest is sort of trial and error. Not much documentation, but there is not much to the program. It’s just a MIDI drum program, so it opens and saves in MIDI format. If you have a MIDI file that has drum information in it, it will strip out everything else and only use the drum data. In its simplest form . . . . double click in the grid and you will see “beats” (they call them events) appear. Click on play, and your track plays. Add measures, change tempo, select “events”, cut, copy, paste, and more. You just have to explore a bit. It has some frustrating idiosyncrasies, but once you figure out how to work around them, it’s a slick little program. The one huge thing that I like about this program is that you can change the volume of groups or individual “events”. So for the softer parts of a song, you can bring the drums down to match. Cool.

This reminds me of a music box or a player piano. Fairly easy to figure out. What do you do with the MIDI file once you are done? You can play it in a lot of media players such as Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, etc. But, in order to import into the Digitech JamMan, my instructions said that I needed to convert to a .wav file uncompressed in mono at blah, blah, blah and a lot of other techno obfuscation. In the end, we didn’t need to do this, but it was very important to go through this step because when we ran it through a file converter, we discovered that it enhanced the sound and made it more robust and full sounding with more punch. Sort of inadvertently improving the quality. I’ll explain the rest in the next post here. Getting tired and need rest.

Thanks for all the feedback. . . . . . stay tuned. More to come when I’m more rested and not channeling idiots.

Hydroman52

Hydroman52

Sun May 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Hey everyone,

I’m all rested up and will give the rest of the lowdown on the drum adventure. You should be able to get through the drum program itself with the instructions in the previous post, but you will need to convert the MIDI file that you will create to a .wav or .mp3 file in order to upload to a Digitech (JamMan) or Boss device for playback there. At least that is what you are lead to believe. I banged my head against the wall for hours trying different things in order to get this to work with the JamMan. I’m sure it is doable, but I just ran out of time and went the low-tech, down-and-dirty way by plugging my headphone out jack on the computer into the aux input jack on the JamMan. Then set the JamMan input to aux, turned up the volume, start recording on an empty track in the JamMan, and started the drum track playing on the computer. Sheez, I used to do this with my reel-to-reel equipment to record off of the radio back in the stone age. But, even if you use this ancient method to transfer from computer to looper, I would still recommend using a converter to process from a MIDI to an MP3 or something similar before transferring. In our case, the difference in sound quality was so noticeable that Jerry called me up special to tell me not to dump the conversion process. I’m sure that some techno wonk will be able to explain why this is so, but I can’t. So, here is how to get the converter that I used. Google “nch switch”. The top result will take you to the NCH Software page where you can download their free Switch Audio File Converter program. This is what I used to convert the MIDI to an MP3 file to playback and send to the JamMan. I didn’t use the default settings, but just made sure the Output Format was set to .mp3 and changed the Bitrate to 192 under the Encoder Options at the bottom of the converter window. Some may already have a converter that will work. I believe AVS has one available if you have a subscription, and there are lots of other free ones that will probably work just as good.

So, why did we want to run the drum track from the JamMan (or other looping pedal for that matter)? Well, it’s a pedal and allows you to start/stop the drum track hands-free. That's very important if your hands are full of a bunch of wood. If you add an optional footswitch to the JamMan that I have, you gain the ability to scroll up and down through the different tracks (99 total I believe – that’s a big set list) all hands-free. We will need a conversion chart, because the JamMan only has a numeric readout for the tracks and doesn’t give a name for the track. No big deal. Print it up in big bold letters and tape it to the floor next to the pedal.

When I was at the NCH site, I browsed some more of their software and found another free program that will work on my laptop for playback just as well as the JamMan. It is called Express Scribe and is meant to be used as a transcription program for dictation, meeting minutes, etc. I have an Infinity USB transcription foot pedal (Model IN-USB-1 the newest model is IN-USB-2 at Amazon for about $50 - $60 US brand new) that works well with the software, and it allows me to control the PLAY/STOP, PREVIOUS TRACK, and NEXT TRACK functions hands free. The neat thing about Express Scribe is that it allows you to slow down or speed up a video clip and still keep the pitch the same. There are other programs that do this, but this works with the pedal (hands free) and the software won’t cost you anything (although I did donate a modest sum in appreciation for the programs that I am using . . . something I always do . . . . programmers work long hours on this stuff). The computer might work better in the studio because it is more versatile, but on the road, the pedal will probably be better because it seems more durable.

Some of you may be wondering why I didn’t just use GuitarPro 6.0 to develop the MIDI drum file. GP6 does allow you to do that, but it was a bit confusing and complicated for me to use for this application. DrumboxNG is very simple and it doesn’t cost $50 - $60. The cost is not a big problem for me at this point in my life (and I do own a copy of GP6), but in my earlier, leaner years, it would have been unattainable. I am guessing there are others out there in guitarland that are in the same situation now that I was in back then. I gave GP6 a good try. I even imported a MIDI file that I developed in DrumboxNG into GP6 just to see how a finished product looked. DrumboxNG is much better in my book for this application. It has more percussion instruments available, too (although GP6 has more cowbells).

Here is another way to shortcut the process. There are lots of free MIDI tracks out there on the Internet (just Google a band name or song name and MIDI). You could load some in the DrumboxNG program and see if the drum portion is already created and close enough to your needs that you only have to do a little tweaking. I’ve found a couple of popular songs in which I was able to quickly check out 3 – 5 versions and find one that was about 80% of what I needed. I think Out on the Weekend was like that. By doing that, you can cut down on composition time considerably.

In conclusion, I would say that if you are reasonably computer savvy, you will probably be able to figure this all out and have your first drum track finished and running from your JamMan, Boss, or computer within an afternoon. And it shouldn’t cost you a dime.

Hope this all makes sense . . . . hope it helps someone,

Hydroman52

AcousticAl

Sun May 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Hydro & Jerry,

That was great. Really fun AND well played/sung.

Let me also say that it's obvious what an all-round good guy you are from the two MONSTER posts you put trying to help others in this thread.

Thanks for both uploading, and being a great contributor to TG.

Hydroman52

Sun May 01, 2011 6:48 pm

Hey Al,

Thanks for the good words. Adding the drums was a huge step forward for us, and it's not too tough to do. Much much better than playing with a metronome. At least it gets us familiar with the sound until we can find a proper live, moving, breathing, sweating drummer.

Hydroman52

cosmicmechanic

Mon May 02, 2011 10:40 pm

Ain't it great when a newer tune seem just ripe for the picking ?
I heard a radio interview with the Decemberists recently and they mention that as youngsters they were immersed in music by Ronnie Hawkins, The Band, and later REM.

That can to some way in explaining the perfect fit for you guys.

Great fun to watch this. Almost as much fun as you had playing it.

Pierre

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 03, 2011 8:53 am

Wow indeed! Just finger lickin', foot stomping great guys! Way to go!

Hydroman52

Wed May 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Pierre, Yes, we like all three that you mentioned. Oh, man! Ronnie Hawkins - Who Do You Love . . . . . great song.

Chris, Stomping . . . . you got that right! Just can't keep my foot from bouncing around on that one.

Thanks for watching, you guys.

Here are some people actually busking The Decemberists in Royal Oaks, Michigan just before a show. I hear they don't sound at all like the real thing. And look, they only have two bucks in the case.

Weirdos Busking The Decemberists

This guy thought they weren't too good either.

Weirdos Busted for Busking The Decemberists

I finished a drum track for Calamity, today, so we will probably run through that tomorrow night. If we can get the harmonies worked out, we may have another post here. Of course, if it all goes south . . . . it may not happen anytime soon.

Hydroman52

tovo

Wed May 04, 2011 11:24 pm

Well I'm officially embarrassed. How the hell did i miss this? It's fantastic guys, man what a great video. The setting is very cool, looks a great room to make music in and your performance was 1st class all the way. I missed it initially but boy I'm glad I saw it today. Great stuff.

Hydroman52

Fri May 06, 2011 7:34 pm

Tony,

Great to hear from you. Thanks for the support. If you are interested, I’ll be posting another Decemberists song here shortly. Last night’s practice went well and I actually remembered to press the RECORD button. If you have an inkling . . . . stay tuned . . . . shortly it will be here . . . . as soon as I can write a proper introduction.

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic