Busking BUDDY HOLLY

buddy

Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:28 pm

I had a few minutes today to work on this some more and have some fun with it.

Can't wait to see others on TG post their versions of this as it is really a blast to just let it rip with this song.

Bud

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

ffsooo3

Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:51 pm

What fun! Great start to the Buddy Holly thread. Hopefully others will post their versions.

sws626

Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:18 pm

Way to go, Buddy! Great to see you jump right into this. And I love the smile on your face at the end. I'll join you here sooner or later, but most likely with an electric version in A.
-Stuart

buddy

Sun May 01, 2011 12:23 am

Daryl, Thanks my man.

buddy

Sun May 01, 2011 12:24 am

Stuart, Looking forward to your electric version of this !!

sws626

Sun May 01, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi Buddy,

As I mentioned earlier, you've done a really rockin' job on this one. I've been listening to the original recording and watching this again while thinking about starting to play it. A couple of things have struck me that I'm going to try to try to incorporate for dramatic effect and I thought I'd share them with you in case you have a mind to play around with them as well...

At the end of the chorus, after the accompaniment has paused on E5, it strikes me that you are moving very quickly over the B7 & E to get back to the verse. Buddy Holly really whales on that B7 and I think stays on it a bit longer, which gives it an extra edge -- I'm not quite able to put my finger on it yet, but something to think about.

In the last two measures of the verse (F#7 & B7), I hear a series of 4 triplets -- so twelve strikes per measure, rather than 4 pairs of 8th note up/downs -- that gives the impression of ratcheting up the tempo and really drives back into the chorus.

The rhythm you play through the verse starting at 1:00 is really great and I especially like the addition of the 7ths and the bass walk you add at the end. But there's also a really nice and relatively simple solo played on the record over the first 4 measures of E (E & G on the 1st string, B & D on the 2d, G, A & B on the 3d) and a kind of turnaround in the last two measures leading back into the chorus that echos the motif of the intro. I think this would stand up very well, even without a backing band.

Anyway, I thought your version was great and just thought I'd mention these as ideas in case you're planning on working it up further.

-Stuart

buddy

Sun May 01, 2011 8:48 pm

Stuart, Great ideas on this. I will have to play around with them. Can't wait to see your version on this.

willem

Mon May 02, 2011 1:15 am

It'S thougher then i thought and must say that the strum triplets Stuart mensiond are great but don't really know how they flow in the up and down's,,maybe just like in the intro???

MarkM

Mon May 02, 2011 11:12 am

Buddy,

Big smiles here!!!!! I love watching your videos as you bring a great sense of joy into your playing. I just wish you lived closer so we could get together and go through some songs. Nice work.

MarkM

buddy

Mon May 02, 2011 11:22 am

Mark, Really glad you enjoyed this. I to wish we lived closer as I bet we have a lot in common between guitars and fishing :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic