Busking Bon Jovi

AcousticAl

Tue May 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Hey all!

Been a while- so here's a snippet of something I've been working on- "Dead or Alive".

I'll also upload this to the student channel, as I'd like some specific advice on a few things.

For now..
Cheers!

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

michelew

Tue May 03, 2011 5:25 pm

Al,

That's sounding great already. You've got all the bits working much better than I have so far. For example, I'm finding the 1-beat change to the F then D tricky (landing it properly). But, you're breezing through it.

i look forward to hearing the finsihed product with singing.

BTW - I'm loving the sound of your guitar.

nice one.

Michele

JHall

Tue May 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Al... that's sounds right on the money dude... I'm digging it. I was half-expecting you to bust out with "IT'S ALL THE SAME...". but I'm sure that's coming soon! Also, had to pause the video at the very end to make sure you weren't flipping us off!!!! :ohmy: ... turns out it was your pinky finger. :)

John

sbutler

Tue May 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Hey Al, there you are. Wondering where in the heck you've been

As for the song, I really love this one, and I think its coming along nicely

Scott

tovo

Tue May 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Al man that sounds great. How about a pair of chaps and a cowboy hat to round it out? Maybe go out and roll in the dirt as well.

Obviously you are going to sing this at some point? Look forward to that. The tune is sounding fantastic.

suziko

Tue May 03, 2011 6:41 pm

Hey Al! Nice to see a video from you! Seems like it's been ages since you posted anything.

I've been working on that song, too, though my intro is MUCH rougher than yours!! All in all, I thought that sounded really good. I like the "embellishments" you added to the basic version of the song. I, too, would like to see you add some vocals to this. I think you could definitely handle them, and it sounds like you've got the guitar part down well enough to do it.

Suzi

AcousticAl

Tue May 03, 2011 6:45 pm

michelew wrote:
Al,

That's sounding great already. You've got all the bits working much better than I have so far. For example, I'm finding the 1-beat change to the F then D tricky (landing it properly). But, you're breezing through it.

i look forward to hearing the finsihed product with singing.

BTW - I'm loving the sound of your guitar.

nice one.

Michele

Hey Michele,

Actually the change that I miss more ofter than not is the one from G to the full F.
I just happened to get it on this take.

Also, thanks for the comment on the Martin's tone. Really sweet on this song :)

AcousticAl

Tue May 03, 2011 6:48 pm

JHall wrote:
Al... that's sounds right on the money dude... I'm digging it. I was half-expecting you to bust out with "IT'S ALL THE SAME...". but I'm sure that's coming soon! Also, had to pause the video at the very end to make sure you weren't flipping us off!!!! :ohmy: ... turns out it was your pinky finger. :)

John

Hi John.

Thanks for your comment. I might try a full version with vocals in the future-- just wanted to upload something I've been messing with as I've been MIA for a while.
I actually find the vocals tough to match with the accented strumming in this song. Need to work it out some more.

suziko

Tue May 03, 2011 6:55 pm

I think that switch to the full F is by far the hardest. Usually from G to F isn't so bad, but something about going from a 4-fingered G to a barred F really throws me. I also find the singing a challenge, just as you mentioned, because of the strumming being accented on beats 1 and 4. And I know this song really well, thanks to my prior hair metal days :)

Suzi

AcousticAl

Tue May 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Scott- My absence hasn't been on purpose. But thanks for noticing I haven't been around much. :)

Tony- Wasn't sure where you were going with that-- roll in the dirt? Just don't ask me to 'roll in the hay'! ("Not that there's anything wrong with that" to quote Seinfeld) Thanks for checking it out and yes, I'll try a vocal version at some point.

Suzi- Here I is! The embellishments aren't many-- a few hammer on's (that weren't all that clean actually). One thing you might have noticed is how I pick the opening riff. I just wasn't getting the cross-picking without hitting the wrong strings. So I'm trying a combination of the pick and fingerpicking. I think Neil said it was an OK option in the lesson. I'll be uploading this to the student channel as well to get more specific feedback (maybe even from Neil :) )

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic