Busking Laurence Juber

tvarga

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Blue Lullaby

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Last weekend I was listening to some guitar music in itunes that I haven't listened to for a long time. Then a song called Blue Lullaby by Laurence Juber started playing … and it sort-of grabbed me. It's kind of soulful and bluesy and seemed like something I'd really like to learn to play.

So, I looked around and found a powertab of it and also a reasonably well played video by 'pederfi' on youtube and started trying to learn it. Coincidentally, Neil mentioned Song Surgeon this week so I gave it a try. I found it to be extremely useful in learning a few of the quick riffs that Laurence plays in the recordering. (Note that the Mac version of Song Surgeon is an older version that doesn't work all that well :()

So, here's what I've got so far. It's still pretty rough around the edges, but I had to give it go at uploading a video because my fingers are really sore after playing this for hours and hours every day. Now it's time to get back to Sleight Of Hand...

-Tom

Update: I've uploaded a scan of the tab to my dropbox at :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15601709/Totall ... by%201.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15601709/Totall ... by%202.JPG

haoli25

Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:51 pm

That is too cool, Tom. Excellent guitar playing. I think I may want to give that a go someday soon too. Thanks for posting the video.

Bill Image

tovo

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Hey Tom. Man...your idea of rough around the edges and mine are somewhat different! That was too cool, I dig it the most. (One of my TG friends stirs me up about talking "hippy") Anyway...it was great. Thanks so much for the look.

BobR

Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Hi Tom,

I got sore fingers just watching you :laugh: That was really cool, I can't wait till you get the rough edges smoothed out.

Thanks for the blues! !

Bob

Craig

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:29 am

Tom,
I really enjoyed that! The slides and bends with that heavy bass sound great. You are quickly becoming a very good guitarist.
Keep up the great work!
Craig

lueders

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:55 am

Soulful, Funky, Excellent!

Thanks Tom, I think I learned some stuff just watching you on this...Great playing, Dude!!!

Cori

thedancer

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:32 am

Hi TOM

I have just watched you play that seven times and it gets better each time. I especially love that opening riff.

Dancer

willem

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:35 am

Hi Tom,,that was great,,for me it was great,,only the harmonic did'nt work??

I have maybe one suggestion when you upload a vid,,,make many label words to get also some links after playback the vid....

I like that tune and your playing..

When i get the banner i put my hand on your signature,,,maybe it help me to get some of your skills..

skaladar

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:37 am

That was great Tom. It’s easy to see why you fingers got sore with all those slides and the intricate fingering. You first started looking at this last weekend? Sheesh, that’s amazing. It would take me considerable longer to even get through this song much less being able to perform it at your level. Cut yourself some slack man … rough around the edges isn’t even close to the way I would describe it. Great job on a very entertaining piece!

Thanks for sharing it … hehe … yup, now you can go relax with Sleight Of Hand :woohoo:

♫ Ken ♫

snipe

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:42 am

Really excellent Tom. I really like that style of playing.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic