Busking Laurence Juber

Lavallee

Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:26 am

Excellent work Tom, looks quite challenging . I find that the section where you barre with your thumb and do the picking with the bend is quite tough and still it came out very nicely.

I have been putting aside for a while White Pass trail from Laurence Juber. You might want to have a look at it . It is in DADGAD.

Marc

wammer

Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Tammy "LIKES" this

AcousticAl

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Loved everything about that.

Very cool song that will only improve with age (not that it's not already at an impressive stage now!)

P.S. How's your back issues??

sbutler

Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:46 pm

Wow Tom. That looks like a challenge. I really like that type of music and would love to be able to play that one some day. After Sleight of Hand that is.

Thanks for sharing that. I'll keep that one in the memory bank for later.

Scott

RicksPick

Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Tom you are a quick study, learning this and slight of hand, WOW
This is sounding good, so complicated
Well done
RicksPick

buddy

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:16 pm

Tom, Wonderful job on a tough song. Really fun groove going on this one for you. Really well done !!!

thereshopeyet

Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Thanks

dekotaj

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:04 am

BRAVO!!!!Tom

Man that was fantastic!!Never heard of that tune before.But I will be checking it out on U-Tube.Sore fingers,I hope those string are not light gauge.I would need a doctor to sew my finger tip back on from all those slides.I don't think Sleight Of Hand is going to help sore fingers.But I look forward to hearing it as you get the part down.As far as that goes anything else you would like to perform for all of us.Loved the tune Tom.Thanks

Kevin

tvarga

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:38 am

Wow, I'm a bit shocked at all the nice comments. :)

Bill and Tovo, I'm glad that you too think that this song is cool. Maybe it's just that it's bluesy, but it does make me really groove as I'm playing it.

Bob, yup playing this song brought on a new type of soreness ... that of weak muscles especially in my pinky.

Craig, thanks for the complement. This is the first time that I really worked on slides and bends. It's challenging but definitely fun. You wouldn't believe how long it took me to get the first 5 notes to sound right. With a slide and a bend, I bet I spent 5 hours on it until my fingers finally started doing what I was asking them to do. :)

Cori, soulful. I like that description. Exactly right!

Dancer, yup I think the opening riff is amazing. Thanks.

Willem, the tuning is 'DGDGBD'. It's a really nice sounding tuning. Although I do hate using these kinds of tunings because it makes it harder to practice multiple songs at a sitting. I'm a bit confused with your suggestions on links. I don't know what else I could do when using the uploader. Please clarify if possible.

Ken, well it's true that I did learn this in less than a week. But to tell you the truth, I was so into this one, the I bet I was playing it at least 4 hours every day. I had to go outside on the porch a few times so as to give the family a break from having to hear my repetitions ... and mistakes.

Marc, uugh the thumb technique. That's just soooo wrong. And I knew it as I was learning it. But that's the way I saw the guy in the youtube video was playing. Today, I finally figured out a much better and cleaner way to play that section by using the 2nd finger for the 6th string and forcing my poor pinky to do the hard work on the bends on the 2nd and 3rd strings. It works so much better and makes the whole progression sound much cleaner. I'll have to check out 'White Pass'.

Tammy ... Thanks! :)

Al, glad you liked it too. As far as by neck problems go, it hasn't improved. :( Sadly, I've been quite dependent on pain killers lately. On the bright side, since I can't do much of anything physical and I can still play the guitar, I'm getting lot's of time to work on the guitar playing. I suppose that's good. :)

Scott, thanks. I updated my first post with links to a scan of the tabs that I used. Go grab them and give it a go!

Rick, thank you too. Well, I've got a lot to go on Sleight of Hand though...

Thanks buddy. The groove's where it's at!!

Thereshopeyet, I'm glad you enjoyed watching it. To tell you the truth, it's a bit of a shock to see how many people have viewed it already.

Kevin, glad that you enjoyed the tune too, It's absolutely amazing how many new tunes and artists I've been introduced to by being part of TG. It's all good!!

Catman

Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:16 am

Wow.

I didn't know this one. Thanks!

Even although it still has some very slightly rough edges, you got the feel down pat which in my opinion is much more important than technical perfection.

Another one to add to the list...thanks for the link

-David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic