Busking Jamming With Daryl

lueders

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:32 pm

lueders

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:40 pm

* Oooops! uploaded the wrong one before!

Here is Daryl's latest Challenge: A one String Jam...

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

daryl

Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:47 am

I definitely like it. The harmonics were fun. There was some good phrasing in there too. But I think your G string was out of tune with the video. Any chance of retuning and re-uploading? Maybe you can use Song Surgeon to alter the pitch without altering the tempo? But I expect the backing track and your playing is altogether in one audio/video file......

lueders

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:04 am

Glad, you liked it, Daryl!The harmonics were definitely an experiment. A few of 'em came out clear lol! Glad you thought the phrasing was alright too.
I have been experimenting with string bends too....I did one that had promise but it lacked cohesion.

*I must be about due for some strings...on that sucker. Because, I had just tuned it a few minutes prior to playing. I like this guitar and normally it is real good about staying in tune. (when I actually tune it lol!) Not sure what is up?... I had my digitech pedal on "Vibro" tuned way down. That might have been some of the pitch change that you were hearing? (The effect has some funky reverberation to it.) But I dunno? I might see if I can get to the bottom of it re-upload later on today.

b.t.w. I believe that blues jam, that Neil does is part of the free lessons stuff. I will still ask for permission. That might still be a possibility. I do, think I 'm about ready
for a different rhythm track for a while. And maybe we can revisit this later. We can be checking with Neil... but I thought in the meantime we could come up with some other rhythms. Still simple....but different. Whataya think? I have got a few ideas. And I'm sure you do too...
I gotta tell ya, I think your thread has been a success. I think we're learning & having fun both!
The more I listen to some of these that we've done so far...I kinda like 'em!

P.S. Also...as an experiment I played my J.W.D take:2 over your your first attempt and you know it works about 95% of the time you would think the notes would be
on top of each other and and be a completely cluttered, train-wreck...but it works more often than it doesn't.

daryl

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:14 am

Cori, Can you point me to the blues jam thing of Neils?

lueders

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:48 am

daryl wrote:
Cori, Can you point me to the blues jam thing of Neils?

Here you go sir.....

http://www.totallyguitars.com/guitar-ti ... ythm-track

Music Junkie

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:02 am

lueders wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
Cori:

By all means, keep going. I love this kind of thing and am excited about watching and learning from you guys. Keep it up!

MJ

Jason, wow thanks!! ( I just meant I was done with subjecting people to the same thing over and over again.)
Yeah, no I am having too much fun to quit noodling with this improv stuff altogether.

When you gonna take the plunge? Daryl has one idea now where you are forced to totally limit your pallet to one string only. I think it sounds like a great idea, I also like the idea of simply coming up with a solo using only 2-6 notes. Sound like fun?
The improv stuff is still at the top of my reach. My fretboard knowledge is still lacking. I can tell you the notes, but using the notes escapes me. Especially in a timely manner. Need a lot more work on my scales before I could pull off something like this.

As far as taking the plunge, I just got my DAW/interface for Father's Day! :laugh: I got it all installed on my laptop and am eagerly waiting for some quiet time in the house to possibly do some recording. The condenser mic is so sensitive that it picks up all of the background noise, and there is ALWAYS background noise in my house! A wife, two kids and a Great Dane are totally counterproductive to recording... :woohoo: I am actually thinking about setting up in the garage to get away from them... B)

BTW, listened to the on string jam and loved it!

I have a little riff or lick (not sure what to call it) that I want to record and put up so someone can listen to it and give me their thoughts on where to go with it. Maybe to the toilet... :woohoo: Maybe not... ;)

Jason

lueders

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Hello Jason, & thanks!

Congratulations on your interface, that sounds like lots of fun! (I might be tempted to move into my garage too. lol!)

I saw your online tab of the Blackfoot song...it looked & sounded pretty darn accurate to me.
b.t.w. That is a really cool song. Thanks for turning me onto 'em. (you seem to like bands from that era...)

I WANNA HEAR THIS RIFF OF YOURS!! Put it up... someone will come up with something to help you out I'm sure...

On the solo/improv thing....we only used the notes A, B, C,D,E,F, G on the 3rd string.
I printed out an online fretboard diagram of all the notes on the fretboard. (because past fret 15 I'm REAL fuzzy... turned out I didn't go past 12)
Once I know what notes I want and where to fret 'em...Then I just try to get a feel for the strong beats. I can't really play a wrong note because every note
is gonna fit in comfortably somewhere. It is pretty easy to figure out by sound in relation to the video what ones are gonna be your color notes.
From there it is all just rhythm. At first I just play on top the main beats...and then expand on that a bit as I go. (with different
combinations of those same notes) As long as it rhythmically fits in somehow your probably in good shape.

You're just being modest, if you can tab out that Blackfoot song just by listening... you can do this. Trust me, if this was overly hard... I couldn't do it. lol!

Good luck with the DAW, sounds like a blast. And, I wanna hear that riff......

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic