Busking Jamming With Daryl

tovo

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Hey Cori. I'm trying to get more into improvisation myself. It's making the theory seems worth the effort if you know what I mean? Yours is cool. Bit of a jazzy feel for mine.

daryl

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:28 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Very very nice Cori!

I've listened to it a couple of times, gets better everytime. Indeed maybe some slides and hammerons, maybe a couple of higher notes, higher up the neck?

Oh well, I'm not that good at making up stuff... :( ...you on the other hand are full of ideas, so just fire away!

I liked it Cori, keep it up!

cheers

Ness :)
Vanessa, Join the party. I bet you could come up with some gems if you tried. My 1st "Improv 101" video is the oldie but goldie C Am F G7 and I bet you know a ton of those melodies. I started improvising to "In the Still of the Night" in my head, and then I found myself improvising to "Ode to Joy"and then "With a Little Help From My Friends" Go figure. Give it a try!

lueders

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Daryl, I forgot to ask...but do you think you could make a longer track? 1min 27 secs isn't very long when you're trying to work out a bunch of ideas. Maybe a another slightly different section...or real simple bridge too maybe I dunno. Just a thought.

Cori

daryl

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:07 am

I purposely made it short (three 12 bars). I didn't want to subject listeners to any more of my (our) guitar ramblings. In my mind, a solo break shouldn't be an all night kinda thing (unless you're a jam-band like Phish or the Grateful Dead). If you get Reaper or Audacity you can set a loop and play all night if you'd like. I think in this "Improv 101" thing we should try to make a quick melodic statement and say good night.

Lavallee

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:11 am

I posted that last night, but my internet died when when I hit submit

Hi Cori, I really envy your improvisation skills. You always coming up with something interesting, very melodic and a good mixture of chords. I am curious as to how you proceed. Do you simply try chords until something matches, or do you take a chord and add the the 3rd and 5th typical progression?

Great work Cori and I need to take the time to learn how to make tracks like Daryl was suggesting. You are so versatile Daryl.

I personally like the Spawn look of the video

Marc

daryl

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:24 am

Marc, I purposely chose the I vi IV V progression in C (C Am F G) as I thought it would be pretty easy place to start. No sharps or flats (all white keys). Start with the root notes (C A F G) then maybe add the 3rds and 5th (C E G, A C E, F A C, G B D). Basically, finger each chord and just pick one string at a time. Then you can add passing notes. Give it a try.....

Lavallee

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:28 am

Thanks Daryl, I like it when there is a plan, being a techie rather than artsie, mastering seems easier than creating. But I think it takes both.

Thanks for the tips, I will work on that

Marc

lueders

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:51 pm

daryl wrote:
I purposely made it short (three 12 bars). I didn't want to subject listeners to any more of my (our) guitar ramblings. In my mind, a solo break shouldn't be an all night kinda thing (unless you're a jam-band like Phish or the Grateful Dead). If you get Reaper or Audacity you can set a loop and play all night if you'd like. I think in this "Improv 101" thing we should try to make a quick melodic statement and say good night.
Touche'...I am pickin' up what you're laying down.That certainly makes sense and is a valid perspective. I hear ya about about being overly self-indulgent, too. And I know what you mean about 12 minute jam songs that isn't my thing either usually..I will try reaper maybe or maybe just break out the old jam cd.

But for the record...on this issue I disagree with you. You don't give this idea of yours enough credit. If you wanted to make a jam track up to three minutes or so. I don't think that is out of the way. In my opinion, this is a guitar learning site. Therefore learning to apply what we know/ are learning here is every bit as valid as learning a Beatles song. Perhaps more so... There is less regurgitation involved and we're attempting to apply what we are learning. I believe Neil, and most others would encourage that.

And speak for yourself...my ramblings are shear genius! LOL! (I can barely type that with a straight face!

lueders

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Marc, you're Way too kind! I'm not sure I would call it skill. But I'll take sure the compliment. I mainly just try to think about it like a song inside of a song that fits in there rhythmically. Usually I try to find some guide/target tones you want to fit in certain key spots. And then fritter with the rhythm tell it fits into the whole. Simple call and response ideas seem to work fairly well. Anyway I can't wait to see what you do with this!!

Thanks again Marc!!!

daryl

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:48 pm

lueders wrote:
daryl wrote:
And speak for yourself...my ramblings are shear genius! LOL! (I can barely type that with a straight face!
ROTFL! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But with work and feedback maybe we BOTH will become geniuses......

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic