Busking Captain Corelli

thereshopeyet

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:16 am

MarkM

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:50 am

Very very cool Chas!! I too have been interested in this little instrument for a long time. Just never got around to picking one up. Keep it going and I'm looking forward to future videos. Thanks.

MarkM

Chasplaya

Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:59 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
haoli25 wrote:
Very cool, Captain Chas. I have been tempted to take the plunge and buy a mandolin for a long time. Thanks for the shove.

Bill
Go on Bill you know you want to just buy it!

Now I can get all self righteous and say its your turn to post a vid now lol!. Thanks for the comment and watching.

Chas

Maybe you need to "make Bill an offer he can't refuse"- then he'll upload a video, Godfather!

I know nothing about mandolins, so thanks for the quick, fun intro, Chas.

Looking forward to future vids!
Thanks for the comment Al, 6 wks ago I knew absolutely nothing about mandolins either, (I still no very little lol) They are great fun to play and heaps of songs that suit them to learn adds another dimension.

Chasplaya

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:03 am

skaladar wrote:
Very cool Chas. I know little about the mandolin other than I had a great aunt who played when I was a child and I was always fascinated by the tremolo technique. It must be a tricky thing to get the hang of. I got a kick out of seeing your stretches from the first to the fifth fret with the first and third finger. Again, so close but yet so different from what one more accustomed to the guitar sees. For only playing for a short time you are doing great with it. Thanks for shedding some light on this mysterious instrument (for me at least) … Oh and I agree, it was great to see a video from you. How `bout some more?

♫ Ken ♫
Thanks for the comment Ken. The mandolin uses some different techniques like Index finger covers first 2 frets middle finger covers 3rd and 4th and ring finger covers 5th and 6th. I have seen exercises when they bring in the pinky :unsure:

I intend putting more up once I've had a bit more time with it.

cheers

Chas

Chasplaya

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:05 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hi Chas

That was fun..... and I see you "treat yourself to a pick" after performing.

Yum Yum

ha ha
It was fun Dermot,and it was a gourmet pick hand made in the South Island of NZ from agate

Chasplaya

Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:06 am

MarkM wrote:
Very very cool Chas!! I too have been interested in this little instrument for a long time. Just never got around to picking one up. Keep it going and I'm looking forward to future videos. Thanks.

MarkM
Thanks for the comment Mark, they are fun but maybe distracting also. And yes now I've got over that hurdle there will be more sorry to say lol!

Cheers

chas

cosmicmechanic

Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:38 pm

Chas, I was not aware of the film "Captain Corelli", looked it up because of this video.

Very beautiful and sensitive mandolin on that soundtrack ... I guess deep down you really are a softie (don't worry, I won't tell).

It's a pleasure to see you present this surprise, hope you do more.

Pierre

Chasplaya

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Chas, I was not aware of the film "Captain Corelli", looked it up because of this video.

Very beautiful and sensitive mandolin on that soundtrack ... I guess deep down you really are a softie (don't worry, I won't tell).

It's a pleasure to see you present this surprise, hope you do more.

Pierre
Many thanks Pierre, it was actually a pleasure to present. Its great way to record progress I can come back and think OMG!! Unfortunately the movie used a lot of dramatic licence and strayed from the real life story which didn't help the box office, it essentially bombed, which is a shame as it does have a lovely sound track. And shhhh on the softie bit don't need everyone to know! Even if I can get it to the same level as Nicholas Cage I'll be happy, and yes he did learn the mandolin for the movie, that much is correct.

willem

Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:45 am

Chasplaya wrote:
thereshopeyet wrote:
Hi Chas

That was fun..... and I see you "treat yourself to a pick" after performing.

Yum Yum

ha ha
It was fun Dermot,and it was a gourmet pick hand made in the South Island of NZ from agate
I love Dermots observations and i am alway's curious what he pick's out,,i think he has hawk eyes.. Image

suziko

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:32 am

Well, how fun was that? What a sweet little ditty! That mandolin looks so tiny, Chas. It must have been a real challenge to play. but it sounded really nice and you looked like you were having a fun time. I also really liked your hat! And the old-timey effect that you gave the camera (I'm assuming that was intentional?). I'd like a mandolin some day.....

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic