Busking Captain Corelli

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:13 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Very cool, Captain Chas. I have been tempted to take the plunge and buy a mandolin for a long time. Thanks for the shove.

Bill
Go on Bill you know you want to just buy it!

Now I can get all self righteous and say its your turn to post a vid now lol!. Thanks for the comment and watching.

Chas

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:17 pm

willem wrote:
What can i say, i even don't know a thing a baut mandolines only that i like them very much with ohter instrument with it(lets say in a band),,they put some flavor to the music,,you said it is challenging,,are the guitars not a challenging any more?,just curious..

I am glad you broke you own rules by not posting vids..

Sometimes i think only a webcam or a cam are just fine,,you really need no more,,but the Micro BR is just great to make more music by recording diffrent playing on guitar or other instruments or more vocals,or some reverb,a challenging too,,but it cost plenty time...

Now we just waiting on some more frames from you,with or without a hat,,or lets say you can leave your hat on..

Thanks Chas.

The only negative thing a 'baut this site is that you live all so far and sometimes so close...

see you pal.. and tremolo along..

Willem
Willem 6wks ago I knew nothing about mandolins either, I still have a very long road ahead of me to learn. Guitars are still challenging, this was an impulse buy after watching Richie Sambora intro Wanted Dead or Alive on his ovation mandolin.

I was quite happy with the webcam but next time I may use it and the Micro BR to check the difference.

It would be great to meet up one day, never say never!

Chas

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:19 pm

BobR wrote:
Hi Chas,

That was pretty cool. Nice film effect as well.

Bob
Thanks for the comment Bob, the effect was a stock one with the cam, I thought it appropriate to do a sepia one since the song was set in WWII. As I mentioned I was just playing around with my new 'toys' and had no intent on posting. So the post was another impulse thing.

Thanks again
Chas

Craig

Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Hey Chas,
Great to see you again! Congratulations on taking on the challenge of tackling a new instrument! It looks, and sounds, like you are well on your way to having a lot of fun with it!
Craig

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:26 pm

lueders wrote:
Is it the end of the world or did I just see Chas on video? Great to see you man!

I am still at the familiarizing myself with the chords & scales stage on mine...so I am NO expert but I thought you
sounded pretty! Do you think Nick Cage really played that or do you think they overdubbed it?
Cori, Thanks for commenting.

Lol not quite the end of the world. I don't know many chords or scales yet, still at the foot of the learning curve. From research Nicholas Cage actually played he had some intense lessons beforehand. Shame the movie bombed with box office and critics the music was great.

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:31 pm

dennisg wrote:
That was fun, Chas. Based on what I see on the wall behind you, you're apparently trying to corner the market on stringed instruments. Is a zither or a hurdy gurdy in your near future?

Nice of you to drop by thanks Dennis. My Wife has made the odd comment about my guitar shop .. Now the hurdy gurdy I don't think so, depends on which one you mean the wheeled fiddle or the Carnival Ground barrel organ, if it were the latter I think I' get the monkeys job.

And it was fun try it you'll like it.

Chas

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Hey Chas, nice to see you again, that first round sounds very good, you seem to have a good control on the tremolo. Must be challenging to squeeze your fingers on such a small fret board.

Marc
HI Marc,

It is nice to be 'back'. Its a great thing to play, although you are correct it is challenging to squeeze my fingers onto the neck especially at the Nut it is only 30mm wide there.

Chas

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:37 pm

Craig wrote:
Hey Chas,
Great to see you again! Congratulations on taking on the challenge of tackling a new instrument! It looks, and sounds, like you are well on your way to having a lot of fun with it!
Craig
Hi Craig and thanks for dropping by and having a look. It is a challenge but fun at the same time. I still have a very long road to go with this one. If I improve sufficiently I may be tempted to buy a better quality one, but for the moment this one will do. I tried several before buying this one and was amazed at the huge range in the sound quality the more expensive ones have compared to the entry level.

Chas

AcousticAl

Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:57 am

Chasplaya wrote:
haoli25 wrote:
Very cool, Captain Chas. I have been tempted to take the plunge and buy a mandolin for a long time. Thanks for the shove.

Bill
Go on Bill you know you want to just buy it!

Now I can get all self righteous and say its your turn to post a vid now lol!. Thanks for the comment and watching.

Chas

Maybe you need to "make Bill an offer he can't refuse"- then he'll upload a video, Godfather!

I know nothing about mandolins, so thanks for the quick, fun intro, Chas.

Looking forward to future vids!

skaladar

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:47 am

Very cool Chas. I know little about the mandolin other than I had a great aunt who played when I was a child and I was always fascinated by the tremolo technique. It must be a tricky thing to get the hang of. I got a kick out of seeing your stretches from the first to the fifth fret with the first and third finger. Again, so close but yet so different from what one more accustomed to the guitar sees. For only playing for a short time you are doing great with it. Thanks for shedding some light on this mysterious instrument (for me at least) … Oh and I agree, it was great to see a video from you. How `bout some more?

♫ Ken ♫

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic