Busking Captain Corelli

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:42 am

Having owned this new toy for 6wks I thought it time I learned to play something on it. So self taught so far. This song is the first solo Nicholas Cage plays to Palagia in the movie. I'd never played a mandolin before so this is a new experience such a skinny neck and I need to learn to soften up my pick grip when doing the tremolos, but more practise and that will come. This was never meant to be posted but I was playing unplugged straight to my new webcam so no Micro BR, no amp just webcam. Oh and only learnt this song tonight from an ASCII file which has no reference to timing or tempo.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

tovo

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:04 am

Hey Chas...or should I be calling you Godfather? "Never ask me about my business".

Anyway, that was pretty cool. Seems everyone is going small. I'm sure you will have fun with the mandolin. How about another post in the near future? Good stuff.

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:13 am

tovo wrote:
Hey Chas...or should I be calling you Godfather? "Never ask me about my business".

Anyway, that was pretty cool. Seems everyone is going small. I'm sure you will have fun with the mandolin. How about another post in the near future? Good stuff.

Thanks Tony, was a spur of the moment thing, if I'd thought too much I wouldn't have posted as usual. This was third take, although I could have picked any of them, they all had different mistakes so I used this one with less than the other two. I would like to find the actual sheet music to get timing and tempo right though.
Hey its taken me 2yrs to get this one posted don't rush me lol . It was pretty rough, and the tremolo picking needs work. Like the sepia it was WWII and the hat is closest to Italian I have

dennisg

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:38 am

Aaaaaaah, how great to finally 'meet' you Chas! ;)

I agree with Tony, very cool, enjoyed the tremolopicking! Would love a mandoline myself, such a sweet instrument, thanks for showing it to me again!

Ness

(Encore, encore, encore! :P )

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:49 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Aaaaaaah, how great to finally 'meet' you Chas! ;)

I agree with Tony, very cool, enjoyed the tremolopicking! Would love a mandoline myself, such a sweet instrument, thanks for showing it to me again!

Ness

(Encore, encore, encore! :P )
Thanks Ness, Well probably about time I showed my face on here :)
A bit of work to do yet with the mandolin but hey practice practice then some more practice. I just downloaded another Corelli song which is nearly all tremolo picking, now that might be the next post who knows ;)

Chas

michelew

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:36 am

OMG is that the great Captain Kiwi unmasked????? But, no one ever manages to capture him on film!! Who was the dastardly person who managed that great feat? No... it can't be him...

Nice one Chas! It's already taking shape and the tremolos sound especially cool.

Damn GAS! Now I want a mandolin to add to my collection. Damn you Captain Kiwi! (shakes fists at the sky or ... towards the east...you never know where he'll be).

Seriously nice to see you playing something again Chas. It's been waaaaaaaaaay too long. Don't take so long with the next one.

Michele

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:01 am

michelew wrote:
OMG is that the great Captain Kiwi unmasked????? But, no one ever manages to capture him on film!! Who was the dastardly person who managed that great feat? No... it can't be him...

Nice one Chas! It's already taking shape and the tremolos sound especially cool.

Damn GAS! Now I want a mandolin to add to my collection. Damn you Captain Kiwi! (shakes fists at the sky or ... towards the east...you never know where he'll be).

Seriously nice to see you playing something again Chas. It's been waaaaaaaaaay too long. Don't take so long with the next one.

Michele

Is it a bird..Is it a plane... Nope just me folks!

Thanks Michele,, This wee 'toy' is a challenge such a narrow neck, and the techniques are different. But heck its fun! Not sure about GAS maybe MAS like your Ukulele could be UAS.... :silly:

Promise you it won't be so long till the next one not 2 yrs anyway . So when do we hear the Uke?

michelew

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:07 am

My uke is feeling a little shy.... So once she gets over her stage fright and is ready to sing. Not too long. I promise it will be less than 2 years. :P

UAS eh?

M.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:09 am

Hey wada you tink you doing wit dat ting! You gotta show some respect. Capiche?

You sure that was you under that hat Chas? Sounds very authentic anyway :-). I remember the scene.
Glad to see you have some quality time to spend with your instruments before you move into Auckland.
Good to see a post from you after such a looooooong time!

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:25 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Hey wada you tink you doing wit dat ting! You gotta show some respect. Capiche?

You sure that was you under that hat Chas? Sounds very authentic anyway :-). I remember the scene.
Glad to see you have some quality time to spend with your instruments before you move into Auckland.
Good to see a post from you after such a looooooong time!
"I'd hoped that we could come here and reason together. And as a reasonable man I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to find a peaceful solution to this problem, even post another song from that movie."

Thanks Chris, I have plenty of time at present, just waiting to get a job.

Shouldn't be too long before I get brave enough to post another, a few things in the pipeline.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic