Busking Townes Van Zandt

MarkM

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:03 am

Jeff,

This is a top notch performance all the way around!! I thoroughly enjoyed this. You should be very proud of this as you really outdid yourself here. Thanks for sharing and I hope all is well at home.

MarkM

abiliog

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:36 am

Jeff,
I was not familiar with the song, so thank you very much to introduce me to this one.
How is that these sad stories can be musically so beautiful is a mystery to me. It seems that inspiration and sadness know so well to each other.
It was a real pleasure and inspirational to hear it and watch your fantastic hybrid picking.
Superb job,
Abilio,

wrench

Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:44 am

Jeff, that was pretty awesome. Your singing and playing were both spectactular, and I honestly felt both were far better than Townes himself. I have a tech suggestion, though. Since you are cursed with both singing and playing talent, I think the two somewhat competed for focus in the video. Perhaps the guitar volume a little lower than your voice track would let your voice dominate, then bring up the guitar volume during solo periods. I don't know what your tech setup is, but most would accommodate that pretty easily.

No problem in the talent department, though. That was great and I enjoyed it very much.

suziko

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:02 pm

Wow, Jeff, what an amazing version of this song! Great vocals and absolutely stunning guitar accompaniment I can't imagine many people could have done it more justice. This wasn't a Townes song that I knew, but I loved it (even if it is a bit of a wrist-slitter).

Suzi

jcrocket

Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:00 am

Mark, Abilio, Wrench and Suzi, thanks so much for the feedback!

Wrench, that was a great suggestion. I use Garageband, and have the guitar and vocals on separate tracks. I usually adjust the volume level for each track, but just once for the entire duration of the track. The type of adjustment you suggest is quite easy, I'll definitely give it a try.

And Suzi, thanks, I now have the perfect term for describing depressing songs ;)

Jeff

Lavallee

Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi Jeff, sorry to be late, the video was too slow in the hotels. I really enjoy your passion for the song, and I am still impressed by your hybrid picking.

Marc

jayswett

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:56 am

Your best video yet I'm with Cori; I was wondering when you'd be back. Glad to see you return with such a great performance. I'm off to download this song from itunes.

jayswett

Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:19 am

I have another comment or two:
1) Every now and then, someone posts a song, and I find myself wondering how is it that I've never heard that song before? This is one of those occasions. A sad, powerful song.

2) Since watching your video twenty minutes ago, I have listened to both Townes' version and Earl's version, and frankly, I prefer yours.

3) Your hybrid picking is impressive. Overall, this was a great performance.

jcrocket

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Marc and Jay, thanks for the comments.

Jay - your words are especially gratifying, since it was your rendition of Pancho & Lefty some months back that first got me interested in Townes Van Zandt; I quickly realized that I had missed the boat on a truly great artist and songwriter.

Jeff

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic