Busking Ukulele songs

michelew

Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:56 am

Hi everyone,

I thought it was time to celebrate the ukulele.

Here's my first fun attempt 'Dream a Little Dream', made popular by the Mamas and the Papas. It's pretty rough. I'm still at the sing or playing stage; can't really do both at the same time.

If you've just started learning the ukulele and don't want to put a song up for review just, still think about putting it here and showing us how you're progressing.

I know there must be seasoned ukulele players amongst you too. So dust off your ukulele and inspire those of us that are just getting into this fun, sweet little instrument.

If you're up for some fun join in.

Suzi, Cori - I know you've both got a ukulele. How about busking out a little tune.

I look forward you seeing what's out there.

Michele

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Chasplaya

Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:08 am

Really cool you are really getting into that one. Very nice sounding Uke too amazing sound out of such a tiny instrument. Good idea to busk songs, helps build confidence I am finding.

willem

Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:57 am

That was Fun Michele ,,and a great idea to put up a busking thread..thanks for sharing..i be a bit short 'cos i got a headache from last nights party but i enjoyed it pretty much..

Lavallee

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:38 am

Very Michele, I thought you did a great job. Even though you state that you are not able to play and sing on this song, let me disagree with that. You are doing great. You teased us at the end :) .

I agree with Chas about the sound quality, it is very good. Very nice instruments

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:01 am

What a great job your doing on that lovely song Michel! That sounded really good and looked like a lot of fun. It looks like you gave been playing a Yuke for years. And you sung that really well ... its a party piece already. FIrst thing I did today after booting my lap top was to watch your video and it put a big smile on my face. Well done girl!

suziko

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:04 am

Wow, Shel, that sounded great! Dream a Little Dream looks pretty complicated, and you both played and sang it really nicely! Is there a lesson for that song here on TG now? I haven't had time yet to really look at the new uke lessons, but I am definitely planning to do that once summer vacation is over. It seems like you've discovered one of the fun things about the uke: that since you know guitar, you can learn a song on the uke really speedily. I remember sitting down to learn Pearly Shells and learning it (roughly) in about 15 minutes or so. I was wowed that I could play an entire song through on a new instrument in such a short time. But the uke really is like a tiny guitar, and once you wrap your head around transposing the chords, it's not that hard, since the chord shapes themselves are the same (just shortened down to 4 strings).

I doubt i'll be able to contribute to your thread until September at the earliest, but I will try to after that. in the meantime, I'll just have to enjoy watching yours a few more times!

:)
Suzi

daryl

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:05 am

Michele, I thought that was FANTASTIC! Just a couple of flubs but your singing was very good along with all those quick chord changes. Very impressive. Sweet little "guitar" you've got there.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:19 am

Aaaaah Shel, that was supercool and so sweet! :cheer:

And it's true, a lot of sound coming out of that little one. I think you did just great singing and playing at the same time (why do you think you didn't? :dry: )! And of course, the laugh at the end was just adorable, haha :laugh:!

Would love to join you in this, but ....unfortunately no uke in the house....Actually it was the very very first little guitar (well uke) that I played. I was nearly 4 years old so it fit me perfectly. But my dad, and really, he's the sweetest in the whole wide world, he sold it later....%$#@#$%.ggrrrrrrrrrrrr...... :(

Anyway, that was a great uke-kickoff, so nice to wake up to, thanks!!

Nessa

skaladar

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:24 am

Way to go Michele. It’s hard to believe you’ve only had this great sounding Uke for what? … a little over a week?
You must have been working hard with it … and it shows.
You did a great job with a fun tune despite your declaration of not really being able to play and sing it at the same time.
I also think it was also a very good idea to start a “Busking Ukulele songs” thread.

I always enjoy your videos and this one is no exception. Thanks for sharing it with us.

♫ Ken ♫

jayswett

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:49 am

I agree with the others in that your video was great. I was surprised with how comfortable you looked playing that thing, given the short period of time that you have owned it. I'm still not ready to give up my guitar playing time for another instrument, but I will say that it does look like fun.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic