Busking Ukulele songs

dekotaj

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:36 am

Shel, I agree with the WOW!! :P :cheer:

What a nice surprise and what a great new uke, she sounds fantastic, now I want one too :laugh: !! And you make her sound fantastic as well, I thought your strumming, variations and dynamics, is really really great, so very well done!! Plus singing and all, absolutely loved it! :) :cheer: :) :cheer:

WOW!! :woohoo: :kiss:

Ness

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:24 am

Lovely sounds you're making there Shel... that's cool instrument and you make it sing! I like the way your hands are working at the neck and on the strum, very natural and expressive. You are building up quite some skill here.

lueders

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Michelle, this was great!! :) :) :)
Your playing was perfect!!
I love the sound of your New Uke!
You made me totally want one of those!!
I considered picking up this Eddie V. solo uke album the other day when I was in Barnes & Noble. (went with Levon Helm's new one and Suzzane Vega Retrodpective instead...seeing your excellent upload makes me wish I had also got Vedder's CD. Or, maybe I'll just keep watching your upload over and over.

tovo

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Hey Shel. Damn these busking threads are frustrating me with how easy it is to miss new videos. Anyway, I have just seen this. Great stuff you are quite the accomplished Uke player in my estimation, it seems pretty easy for you! I know absolutely nothing about the instrument so can't offer anything beyond praise and support and a comment that you are looking well! Great work.

michelew

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks everyone for your sweet and encouraging comments.

Nessa - I'm SO glad loved it. You sure put a smile on my face. :) :) :). Gosh you would do magic things with the 6-string. Well you can play mine whenever you're in Sydney. Thanks sweetie. Your comment is very motivating as it always is, you make me strive for excellence (you're an awesome role model), who knew I could even make eye contact occassionally. :p :) :)

Chris - that's all so nice to hear. The Uke has made me seek out and learn so more straightforward stuff and just play for fun a little more too. I think the Uke skills still translate to the Guitar. It's all strings I guess thanks.

Cori - :) :) :) as an Eddie Vedder fan I was really hoping you'd like it. The ukulele songs album is definitely worth a listen. Besides his own material, there are some good and unusual versions of some Uke standards like a gravelly, dark version of "dream a little dream" and a sweet version of "Tonight you belong to me", which I'd also like to learn. So...dig out the pineapple maaaaaaaaan and inspire that sweet woman of yours to sing a cool Uke song with you. :). You KNOW you want to. You KNOW how cool the Uke can be. It's well within your capabilities. Thanks!

Tony - Sorry for the hassle. I'm always reluctant to start a new busking thread when a perfectly good category already exists. But I hear you. Thanks for your sweet and supportive comment. I know Uke doesn't really rock your world. But I'm sure you could have a heap of fun on it if you gave it a go. You know.... Blues ... Works on the Uke too. :). Thanks mate.

Thanks for watching and your generous comments.

Shel

RicksPick

Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:07 am

Hi Michele
Wonderful, nice sounding Uke
your ease of playing and singing is impresive
Well done M'lady

RicksPick

dennisg

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Holy crap, Shel, that was just terrific! I absolutely love that song, and you did such a sweet job with it. Really, you don't need to go on about all the mistakes you made, because they were insignificant. Your playing was smooth and confident, and your singing was exactly what this song calls for -- calm and low key. This is a song you could easily kick ass with at an open-mic.

suziko

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Shel,

Firstly, thanks for giving me a little prod on this video! I'm so sorry I didn't notice it sooner. Like Tony said, it's easy to miss new videos in the busking threads.

What a fabulous job you did on this song!! It looks really, really complicated to me, but your fingers were just flying all over the place. And I really loved how you varied your strumming so much- plus that tiny arpeggio outro was icing on the cake. I also thought your vocals sounded just right for the song. Very mellow. What a nice job! I'm very proud of you!!

Suzi

michelew

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks!

Rick - I hope perusing TG is helping to distract you from that whopping new piece of metal you're now carrying around and the discomfort that inevitably goes with it. You do know that most people just wear their piercings on the OUTSIDE right? ...just sayin'. :) thanks for your sweet words. I'm glad you like it. Hey there's got to me a million uke appropriate hat opportunities right? :) ;)

Dennis - Your responses NEVER fail to put the hugest smile on my face. Thanks for your constant support and encouragement for my playing AND singing. Actually, I learned this song because you pointed it out to me, so I'm REALLY glad that you feel I did it justice. Open mic....haha! :) :) :) well...maybe I should wait until I can play it in front of you without freezing up. ;) I am planning to join a ukulele group as you know and there are regular open mic nights, but....well I'll definitely be checking out the skill level of performers first before I even entertain the idea of getting up the courage to get up myself. I'm looking for fun and motivation at this point rather than .... Pure terror... :) yes I guess I should shut up about how it could be better. It's just so frustrating when you know you can sing it better and play it better, but it doesn't come together in front of the camera. Well you know what that feels like to some extent. Thanks for being such a sweet friend.

Suzi - Hey, there you are sweetie. Well as I said to Den, I always feel like I'm begging for praise when I point out an up load to one of my friends. But, I do know that it's easy enough to miss new posts, especially in the busking threads. I've definitely done that before. And since you're one of the people I'd told about the new uke, I wanted you to see and hear it in action too. I think you'd enjoy playing it. It's a little different from your mahogany tenor 4-string. It's not really that complicated. But, it sounds a little more complex because you're only strumming certain strings at times and the extra C and A string fills out the sounds nicely when for example I'm only strumming the E and A strings on the bottom or the the G and C sets on the top. The thing I found trickiest, was a change from Dm to an F# (in the second verse) where you have to use your 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers to form the Dm instead of 1-3 so you can land the F# in time and playing the individual notes of the G-chord in the third verse (because you need to avoided the low bottom string to hit the right notes). The latter won't be a problem with your uke. This song is EASILY within your skills if you're interested. I'll send you the tab if you'd like it. Just write me. I actually really like the variation in sounds in this song. Eddie is a smart man. Thanks for being sweet about my singing. I'm still trying to be more confident in that area in particular. Thanks sweetie. I'm really glad you liked it.

:) :) :) :)

Shel

suziko

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Shel,

I'd love the tab! I've been dabbling periodically with my uke, so it'd be nice to have something new to work on. Though you probably underestimate how tricky the song actually is, since i know you're a lot better than you give yourself credit for being.

And, please, NEVER feel bad about prodding me if I haven't noticed a video of yours. You know how much I LOVE seeing videos from you and if I haven't responded it means I'm oblivious to the fact that one has been posted- or possibly dead, in which case, inform the authorities :)

Much love to you!

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic