Busking Ukulele songs

AndyT

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:38 am

Well I thought it was kinda appropriate to add a uke-song in here, maybe for those who can't access the review-section. :)

Ness

(The introduction in the review-section:

Hi TG-friends,

Well what can I say, something completely different this time, but I got my little friend out of his standard and thought it would be a fun challenge to be the first ever to upload a uke-vid for review (am I the first?! )!

The first song, Aloha Oe, is special to me, I was watching Blue Hawaii from Elvis when I was a kid together with my grandmother and when this song came up, she sang loudly and enthousiastically along. I actually pressed her to write down the lyrics for me ! In any way, personally I like to sing it, but playing it as a chordmelody on the uke is quite fun. The song is often done in G, but I sing it in C and just kept it there, and well.....this is what I could come up with...

The second, Pua Mana, is a song that I learned from our uke-teacher Hal K. I actually just picked a song and this is really a fun one, it makes me smile when I play it! Hal does throw in some more when he does the playthrough, but he hasn't written in out in the tab... ...maybe I could've figured out some more about what else he is adding, but....oh well.....I mostly just followed the tab.

Hope you'll enjoy!

Ness)

lueders

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:53 am

:cheer: :) :cheer: :) :cheer: :) :cheer: :)

You're on a role Vanessa...I love these happy tunes!!!
Beautiful!! I can't decide which I like better... They're both excellent!
I don't recognize the tunes and I kinda like it that way. Lol!

I just know they are both brilliant! Thanks for the pick-me-up!

Cori

EDIT: Ahh ha, I see you have the write up on the tunes now.
Guess I was a little to quick on the draw. (by then who can blame me it's a Vanessa post, man!)

Lavallee

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:05 am

Hi Vanessa, both songs were very interesting. I like the first one because of the vibratos your putting in (sustain....). The second one looks quite challenging. I am curious, would you mind listing all the musical instruments you can play?

Always like your videos

Marc

dekotaj

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:30 am

Well,Thank you, Thank you very much.

Bravo Ness!

Kevin

tombo1230

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:43 pm

That was great Ness. I am sending you an old vacuum cleaner of ours, 'cos I I am pretty sure you could get a tune out of it. :)

You play a lot of different instruments and you always play them well.

That is a particularly beautiful instrument you are playing there, I have to say. B) :)

Tom N.

michelew

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:43 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Well I thought it was kinda appropriate to add a uke-song in here, maybe for those who can't access the review-section. :)

Ness

(The introduction in the review-section:

Hi TG-friends,

Well what can I say, something completely different this time, but I got my little friend out of his standard and thought it would be a fun challenge to be the first ever to upload a uke-vid for review (am I the first?! )!

The first song, Aloha Oe, is special to me, I was watching Blue Hawaii from Elvis when I was a kid together with my grandmother and when this song came up, she sang loudly and enthousiastically along. I actually pressed her to write down the lyrics for me ! In any way, personally I like to sing it, but playing it as a chordmelody on the uke is quite fun. The song is often done in G, but I sing it in C and just kept it there, and well.....this is what I could come up with...

The second, Pua Mana, is a song that I learned from our uke-teacher Hal K. I actually just picked a song and this is really a fun one, it makes me smile when I play it! Hal does throw in some more when he does the playthrough, but he hasn't written in out in the tab... ...maybe I could've figured out some more about what else he is adding, but....oh well.....I mostly just followed the tab.

Hope you'll enjoy!

Ness)

Great idea to post this in here too Ness. That way people who are not currently Target members can enjoy it too. I'm resisting the urge to get my uke out... you've really given me the bug...but I'm trying too focus rather than flit all over the place.

SO I'd just like to join in Bear's cheering and say MORE, MORE, MORE, bring on more of that sweet, gorgeous little bundle of joy and fun. ... if you want to of course.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :cheer: :kiss: :silly: :kiss: :) :) :woohoo: :) :) :) :kiss: :) :) :) :) :)

Music Junkie

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Cori: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) THANKS so much Cori, it's álways soooooo great to read your enthousiastic and supportive comments, very glad that you've enjoyed those little tunes! It's definitely something different but still much fun to get into, thanks again my friend!

Marc: Thanks a lot Marc, always great to hear your kind and sweet comments! :) Listing the instruments that I play......uh....haha :laugh: :S , well....I tend to be shy about it, I don't want to brag, but.....well the guitar :P and I guess that a couple of other stringed instruments don't give me much trouble, I mean like the bassguitar, ukelele, or banjo, or a slide-guitar (the latter is véry great to play as well, which I haven't done for too long... :S ), anyway, the piano as you well know, the drums (só much fun to play that one!!). Well can't say that I play the harmonica, I'm just trying I guess. Anyway, that's about it, I think... :dry: :P

Kevin: Thanks so very much Kev', really appreciate it!!!!!

Tom: Hahaha, you're too funny Tom! :laugh: :laugh: but I hear you, THANK YOU!! And yeah, I'm very happy with my uke, I hadn't plan to spend as much as I had, but never regretted it either! :) :) B)

Michele: Haha, THANKS Shel!! :laugh: :silly: :side: :kiss: :cheer: B) :lol:

Thanks all!

Ness

michelew

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:18 am

Hey y’all,

It’s been a while since I’ve added something to this thread and a new ukulele seems like a good reason to do so. This one has 6 strings with the C and A strings being double courses (the extra C is an octave higher and the extra A and octave lower). It makes the sounds fuller I think, but has associated challenges, for example trying to play individual notes on the A and C strings. :)

This is “Longing to Belong” by Eddie Vedder, from his Ukulele Songs album. It’s not an uplifting album in general, but it is pretty amazing the depth of emotion he can instill with just a uke, his voice and perhaps a cello. Only four-stringed instruments were allowed on the album.

This is another classic case of sing it or play it separately and it’s all good, put them together and stick yourself in front of the camera and.... haha ... A self-demonstration/discovery that it’s not as together as you’'d like. Well I kept forgetting the words and my singing often either feel into rhythm with the strumming or visa versa. Learn by doing I say. So...yep this could have used more time, but it’s good enough for you to get an idea about what I'’m playing and the weekend is over and I’'m planning on getting back to other projects. So it is what it is.

For anyone who’'s interested in learning it, I got the “"how to”" from Ukulele Hunt. Just search “Longing to Belong” and you get a page that explains the tricky bits and the chord and lyrics sheet.

Enjoy.

Shel

EDIT: oops! Sorry Longing. To Belong is actually separate from Eddie Vedder's Ukulele Songs album. The song is a stand alone single. But, the album I worth a listen too. Sorry about the bum steer.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

daryl

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:34 am

Nice uke! It sounds beautiful and full. Details please.

Don't know the song.

Good to see an upload from you. Things have been quiet around here. :-(

michelew

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:50 am

Daryl,

Thanks. It's a Lanikai LU-6 - tenor. Nato body and top and rosewood fretboard and bridge. Here's a site with more. http://lanikaiukes.com/laniblog/ukulele ... e-ukulele/ Aquila strings.

I'm enjoying it. It sounds and feels different from the Kala and the neck is wider too, which I really like. Your fingers don't get so squished up and it's easier to change chords.

And it's been too long since you uploaded something.

ta

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic