Busking Robin Trower

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:14 am

Rick Willem and Chris,

Thanks for viewing. NZ broadband played up as this took me over a day to upload lol!

It was just an experiment really I wasn't overly happy with the outcome even if it is new to me playing it. The sound quality of the Nylon through the web cam I don't believe does the guitar justice, you hear it slightly on the chord section but apart from that it sounded a bit empty to me, it follows the melody but lacks bite.. Not sure if I'll carry this on with the Nylon maybe revert to the electric and add in some Delay and reverb and a dash of distortion. The best bit was the hat lol! Next song will rock along a wee bit more a SRV song from his unplugged MTV show, only song he did standard tuning on a 12 string. Guesses anyone? Problem though I don't have a SRV hat hmmm. Hey Chris try a Sombrero

Thanks again for taking time to watch guys

michelew

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:15 am

Ha Chas, great to see you again! :cheer:

That was cool, I digged the slides and bends as well. Indeed very interesting to play it on a nylon, I actually liked that.

As for the sound, you're using your webcam right? Did you leave the 'right sound'-button on? If so, turn it off and the sound will sound 'normal' again.

Thanks for sharing Chas, keep us posted on your progress! :)

Cheers

Ness

jayswett

Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 am

Nicely done. Love the sound of a good nylon string guitar. We should all be posting more videos, in my opinion. I am not one to cast stones, however, as I should be doing more as well.

sbutler

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:46 am

Chas, this is so freaky. I was listening to Bridge of Sighs and The Day of the Eagle just yesterday. I was thinking, if ever there was a song that defined a culture within an era, that Bridge of Sighs is it.

Great go on a bluesy tune. Liked the hat as well.

Scott

wrench

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:52 am

Well, I didn't see that coming. I liked it a lot, Chas. I thought that worked out great, but I did, however, expect you to plunge into a Paganini medley at the end. :woohoo:

skaladar

Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:18 am

Hi Chas,

This is pretty ironic. About two weeks ago I read a quote by Robin Trower which made me think of how great a guitarist he was and made me wonder where he is now. That resulted in a YT search for some of his work. Then a few days ago in your Underated Guitarists thread (which I never got a chance to reply to) you posted a recent clip of “Bridge Of Sighs”. I must have watched/listened to that same clip dozens of times since finding it a few weeks before your post. I never considered trying to play any of it because it screams electric guitar but I see you didn’t let that get in your way. I like that!

I think you did a great job with it Chas. I loved all the bends that are so important to the feel of this tune. You’ve made me rethink giving this a go. I don’t have an electric (anymore) nor a nylon stringed guitar but I do have an archtop strung with extra light gage strings that reminds me of the feel of an electric every time I play it. Guess which guitar is going to get picked up first when I get home tonight?

Again, great job and I hope to see more of you, this song (or any others) and your very cool hat. I just wish you didn’t have to agonize over uploading. Thanks for sharing.

♫ Ken ♫

P.S. The quote I read from Mr. Trower was:
If I could sing, I wouldn't be a guitarist.

dekotaj

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:06 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Thanks Anton, I'm not sure If i will try anymore with this on Nylon though.

Thanks Michele I intend to post more at least monthly. I wasn't happy with the sound reproduction through the web cam so may need to use the micro BR for the nylon guitar.

For those not having heard this heres a recent live version by the man himself.

With effects, actually just noted he plays it slower nowadays sooo meaning I'm not so far off with tempo as i thought lol

Hey Chas,

Great to see you again so soon.Keep them coming.Old time rock & roll can't got wrong.And on nylon,COOL.

BRAVO!!Sir

Kevin

reiver

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:07 am

Hey Chas

Good to see you up and running with the video posts. I thought this was an interesting experiment on the nylon string which really worked well. I didn't know the original but enjoyed your version a lot.

Stuart

BobR

Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:38 am

Hi Chas,

Nice and bluesy. I was waiting for a string to break on some of the bends :laugh:

Thanks for sharing,

Bob

dennisg

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm not a Procol Harum or Robin Trower fan, but I have to say that this was a peculiarly interesting piece of music -- and very nicely played. And two posts in one year from you! Call the folks at Guinness!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic