Busking Violent Femmes

tovo

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Who? WHO doesn't like the Femmes??? May the fleas of 10,000 Yak infest their Jock Straps. (No...alas I am sober)

I love the Femmes and enjoyed watching someone take on this deceptively difficult piece. Good job Cori, not as easy as it might appear.

Good stuff mate. Suggestion for your next VF cover...Good Feeling.

lueders

Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:49 pm

Pierre- Be careful with that crowd-of-one, solo crowd surfing. That sounds really dangerous, loll And thanks for the vote of confidence...I had some other rather whiny, louder, (hammed-up as you say) takes. But, as you can tell, I have a pretty hard time getting EVEN close to the right vocal pitch. (A singer I am not.) I just picked the least annoying vocal take of the song and sorta went with that. (I didn't want you folks to have to suffer too much. lol!) Thanks again, Pierre!!!!

Tony If there is one thing I hate... it is Yak-fleas in my jock strap! (Good One..LOL!) And what you said is true about this song. It is listed in the target program as #2 or something. But the way I played it is surely, at least a 2.51876...or something lol! No seriously, though I know what you mean. Gordo has a unique frenetic, unorthodox attack, for sure. The devils in the details...'cuz it usually isn't in the tab with songs like this. I was trying to play the Ramones "I Wanna Be Sedated" yesterday. and on paper it is super simple...but all be damned if I could make it sound right. Then later that day I was working on Led Zeppelin's Black Dog and I didn't have near the trouble I did with the Ramones tune. Go figure. Oh, and "Good Feeling," nice choice!

buddy

Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:12 pm

Cori, You are getting some great sound out of that funny looking guitar. Really enjoyed this and had never hear of this group before, well at least that explains all the fleas I have been having. Now that I am a fan I guess I will be scratching my crotch less :-)

Bud

lueders

Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks Bud, I am glad your crotch will be less itchy, from now on. lol! Yeah, I like my funny little guitar. It is good for most things. The action is pretty low for a
resonator. But with tougher resonator strings on it...it does okay for slide playing too. Glad, you enjoyed it...and thanks again, sir!!!

Chasplaya

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:10 am

So that explains the itch! I'd never heard this before so not able to make informed comment against the original so need to go check it out. Looks like a fun tune to play though. I have difficulty playing my resonator like that as it is set up with high action for slide.

Thanks for introducing me to yet another band to check out.

Chas

Craig

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:49 am

Cori,
Very cool! Nice job. I've always liked this song. Thanks for sharing.
Craig

willem

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:05 am

YeS Cori rock on,,,never heard this by now,,,and found this vid that said ''a great song needs a great animation''',, i think also you did a good rockin on that vamp....

and now your UKE !!!

EDIT:thanks for the reminder it is in TARGET,,MMmmmmm,new generation of rock,,

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:56 am

Man, I am so out of the loop! Did not know about the Violent Femmes until 5 minutes ago... great job Corie and thanks for bringing them to my attention.

suziko

Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:50 am

Well I am very happy to see Milwaukee's Best given such a great tribute! I love the Femmes too (hence, no itch for me!), and have ever since high school. I think I might have worn out my cassette tape of their debut album. So many good songs on that. How about doing a cover of Add it Up next, Cori? Hehe....

Anyway, GREAT playing (amazing work on that riff!!) and it's nice to hear you venturing into vocals territory! That's scary and challenging, but you did a nice job. It's always more fun to hear a song done with vocals than without.

Suzi

Lavallee

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:33 am

Hi Cori, nicely played and sung. You are keeping the tempo very well. I particularly like the the muted strumming that you keep in time. I am familiar with that song that I always like the upbeat feeling.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic