THE PRIVILEGE OF SHARING SONGS ON TG

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:50 am

The sharing of our songs through videos is so much more than just that. On the surface, we are showing what we can do sharing a song we love and trying to learn new stuff. And then shining through that is the light of who we are and a much deeper message. I'm not exactly sure how I should express it but I'd say we are connecting at a soul level, just as when a tone rings out and vibrates in the body of your guitar (ever found yourself singing and heard your guitar next to you pick up a tone and throw it back at you?). When we get it right, like Vanessa does with VINCENT, we set off a vibration in our TG listeners and communicate on higher level that we usually experience in our daily lives. This is a magnificent privilege and why I say to you all that there cannot be enough postings of your playing... so never hold back, your song is a gift to all and I for one am very grateful for the privilege of sharing (both ways) with you all.

willem

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:24 am

I think i am right there with you and don't think it comes easy, also not when you are advanged you give so much that you are totally empty for a view days,,can you imagine that Neil needs his breaks also.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:41 am

I agree, sometimes a song can take something out of you but usually I find playing and singing gives me so much energy and is very fulfilling.

Chasplaya

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Chris very deep, but I agree, from someone who had not posted really at all and then do 2 in one week , a beginners mandolin effort and a tune really meant for electric , the feedback was awesome, great for the soul. Through that I really appreciate much more the efforts of the rest of the team sharing their journey with the guitar. Doing a video does take it out of you a little bit, but my experiences in this short span of time with such a great community actually make me want to share more (can't believe I left it for so long). The videos posted by members are always the first things i check and you do get a feeling of the members personality, so I agree keep these coming. I think your concept of the busking thread Chris is one of the best features on this site, less pressure than the upload for review in my opinion, but a great way to build confidence in posting and putting yourself out there. positive ramble ramble ramble lol

buddy

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Chris, thanks for expressing this so eloquently. The varied uniqueness of each individual is the the very thing that I like the most about internet sites/forums like TG. I am always fascinated and appreciative of how each person is so expressive in their own way. Some in not posting songs up, some in posting some songs up, and some posting many songs up. The point is not really how many songs we post but the beauty of how we express our uniqueness in those songs. I for one love posting up songs that flow out of my love for playing and singing and I enjoy just as much hearing and seeing the posts of everyone else as well. The feedback and encouragement we give each other is invaluable to our playing and our motivation. So, this is a neat chance that Chris has afforded me to express all of that and I am grateful for it.

Bud

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:24 pm

My music therapist friend has a motto for her music school "Weil Musik bewegt!" which means "Because music moves us".
That hits the nail right on the head for me. I sent her Vanessa's VINCENT and it really moved her (she'd been feeling down) and brought some joy into a dark moment.

tovo

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:57 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
My music therapist friend has a motto for her music school "Weil Musik bewegt!" which means "Because music moves us".
That hits the nail right on the head for me. I sent her Vanessa's VINCENT and it really moved her (she'd been feeling down) and brought some joy into a dark moment.
Although Vanessa's cover is brilliant, I'm not sure I would listen to that tune if I needed cheering up Chris!

Anyway, I appreciated reading your initial post, they are nice thoughts. You Englishmen are so in touch with your inner feelings.

willem

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:43 am

Wow Chris, I'm flattered... :blush: ....'Weil Musik bewegt', I'll remember that one....it's so very true..

I have to agree with what you've said...it's deep indeed...but it is like that..at least to me..

For me the playing and singing in a video is of course about sharing music and showing what I've learned/learning to play....but along with that I definitely show a huge part of my soul in there..not intentionally....it's just there, I can't help it ....therefor I always feel so grateful for all the great responses, since I do give my all and since I am putting myself in a vulnerable position..

I guess that's also why I really like it when anyone posting a video shows his/her face on camera, and I just love it when someone shows me a glimpse of his/her soul as well, by for instance smiling, looking into the camera, or singing..it's just the little things...it grabs me instantly..

'Don't hold back posting'....I hear you..! :P

However, this posting videos of us is definitely a privilege to me, and one that I cherish..

Cheers

Ness

neverfoundthetime wrote:

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:01 am

Tony, it is because English men are usually so disconnected from their emotions (or, at least, are disconnected from expressing them) that I make an effort to express as much as I dare... which is still not enough and not often enough. When we voice a positive emotion we give to the people around us and add something to the world worth adding. Right now I am painfully aware that we all need to do this whenever possible. TG is place that gives us that opportunity.
I mentioned this before, in response to one of Buddy's songs, that there is a healing quality in some songs and performances and that's what is there in Vanessa's VINCENT, so I knew it would be just the song to pass on. My friend, Gabriela, will have had a nice weep and gone away feeling more whole and and in touch with herself because she connected with Ness. But I know what you mean and had a good laugh!

Vanessa, you have that great quality and gift to move people and you play with a deceptive accuracy ( Dennis said it all in his post). It is inspiring us all. And you make a very important point that you make yourself vulnerable when you perform like that so its also an act of courage. That was always the biggest challenge for me (and every new poster) and posting here at TG has given me a deeper level of confidence than I ever had.

Anton and Willem, you were asking about songs in open C tuning. I love open C. My music therapist friend, Gabriela, has a Mono Chord which is like a masseur's bench with harp-like strings wired to the underside (so its a bit like an inverted harp). Its tuned to open C. You lie on top and close your eyes and she lies on the floor and plays the strings above her like a harp. You become enveloped in waves of pure sound and most people are moved to tears within seconds. I was! There is healing and love in those waves.

Buddy, I know you know exactly what I'm saying.

Chas, you're realising that you should post much more of the things you are working on. You are adding a new dimension as you are playing stuff most of us are not and that's an enrichment for us all. Eureka! ;-)

Neil said, music is playing the right note at the right moment. Its how you do it that touches the soul.

Yoda has left the building. ;-)

willem

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:46 am

Yes,,it is so beautiful if you really can touch someone with music,,you can't help it with you like (feel) a piece and a tear is coming(or chickenskin),,,when i arrived here for the first time(this site) i had with(and still) ''on the horizon'' by Neil and i remember the last time it happend it was ''vincent'' by Vanessa and in between oh yeah it happend but can''t remember right away,,,oh agree that certain tunings have it all in them,,,you fly away on music..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic