Busking J.S. Bach

dsmarion

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:04 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Nice going Scott, you look very at home with that guitar (what make is it?) and you have a very relaxed approach which is great to see.
Take the plunge and join TARGET and join the party!
Chris
Hi Chris,

It is a Martin OM-1 - just got it a couple weeks ago. I am not sure how much I like it yet though. The neck is a bit wider than other models (not much but definitely noticeable when you play it) and I think I need to put on a lighter gauge string because I am struggling with these a bit. I need to go to 11's instead of 12's maybe. Thoughts on that?

Scott

dsmarion

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:14 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Hi Scott,

So great to see you, thanks! ;)

Well what can I say, rusty??

Am very curious how you will play (anything) when you've been playing more since you're already doing very well. You'll definitely don't need another lifetime to get this song down completely.

And it's indeed nice to see you play different styles of music, I like to do that as well, you'll learn different things then and it's fun to be able to do so of course.

Great work Scott, am curious about your progress on this, keep us posted.

Cheers

Vanessa

ps If I may add one suggestion, your left hand, don't let some fingers anchor on the top of the guitar and alternate with your fingers while picking, just a thought!
Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for the suggestion, I never learned to finger-pick very well and need a ton of work to get comforatable with that. The things (few indeed) that I know that require this style I have always used only the thumb and index finger so now I am working on learning a more proper technique. So I need to go through lots of lessons and some different songs to get tons of practice for that. I always used to play electric before now and very little acoustic and always used a pick for 99% of playing. Now I am forcing myself to try and leave the pick lay and try more finger-picking - but it still feels like a foreign concept so far and I don't have the technique yet. Everything takes time I guess.

Scott

dennisg

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:11 am

Man, Scott, that's really a tough nut to crack, but you did a very commendable job -- and it's only going to get better.

Others may disagree, but I'd like to see a much shorter and more focused introduction.

dsmarion

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:29 am

dennisg wrote:
Man, Scott, that's really a tough nut to crack, but you did a very commendable job -- and it's only going to get better.

Others may disagree, but I'd like to see a much shorter and more focused introduction.
Hi Dennis,

I appreciate your comments. I will try and shorten the introductions - I tend to ramble on at times. Thanks for the advice.

willem

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:44 am

oke Scott, my attempt on the bourree in Em first part

willem

Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:59 am

bourree in Em first part

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

dsmarion

Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:27 am

Willem,

Hey, got some company on this one! I think you said you hadn't looked at this piece in some time, sounds like you got a good start back into it. I remember the guy who taught it to me repeatedly reminding me to let those open notes ring as long as possible duirng the changes to get the whole thing to flow nicely. I find that really hard to do but is does improve the sound and flow. It's a tough song but sure is fun to try. Thanks so much for posting!

Scott

AcousticAl

Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 am

A new face in the upload category!
(new to me anyways)

Welcome Scott- and great work on Bourree so far.
Join Target to get it to the next level!

See you around..

jayswett

Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:22 am

Several comments:
1) Nicely done. Your guitar skills are evident in this video and something for me and many others on this site to strive for

2) I have not read the other comments, but my guess is that others have suggested you join Target. It's well worth cost.

3) Consider Target Lite if the full Target program does not suit you.

4) Looking forward to more of your videos. You have this song on the run, no question.

dsmarion

Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:25 am

I really appreciate all your replies. This site is full of some fine poeple and I am inspired by the way you all are so supportive of everyone in the program. In these days of social medai I find many out there are anything but social and supportive. The people on this site show the way it's supposed to be as I see it.

In deciding to get back on the path to playing the guitar again after giving it up for so long, I decided that this time I wanted to start playing acoustic and actually learn some fundamentals. I have always played things "my way, any way I could" and I knew even way back when that I do many things fundamentally wrong. But since I never took a lesson and the stuff available now (the Internet, YouTube, this great site, etc.) was not available way back when I have learned some horrible habits over the years - and now they are pretty ingrained and are going to be hard to break - but I am convinced that's what I need to do to get to a level beyond where I am now.

So I am trying to start using correct hand positioning and all that. Suddenly it's like I can't play at all lol. This video was done using all the bad habits so relearning it from the top with proper technique is going to take some time. It's very humbling.

Jay - I am definitely joining the Target program. Right now I am learning Blackbird which is on the free side - one because I always liked the song, two because I was inspired by Willem to do so and three because I wanted to see the teaching style and see if I thought it was worth it and something I could take things away from. Well, it is all that and so much more IMHO. Neil has a nice teaching method and I have viewed a lot of the free uploads and responses - enough to know Target is the right track.

Al - Hello and thanks for the welcome.

The future - while it may be a while before I have anything to show relearning to play more correctly I am working on it. Actually Blackbird probably is a good start for me I think because the picking is pretty easy in terms of the melody (not a lot of alternating picking fingers) and the only harder thing is learning the alternating bass notes. So maybe it won't be too long before I post my first actual student upload.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic